Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694083 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fictious Lemonade Edition
« Reply #7905 on: December 09, 2011, 06:27:53 pm »

Why do we have five seperate words for gun projectile, anyway?
The bullet is the part that gets launched, a shell is basically just a round full of shot, a cartridge is everything but the bullet, a slug is pretty much a single giant round from a shotgun, and a round is the whole ammunition piece, if I recall correctly.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fictious Lemonade Edition
« Reply #7906 on: December 09, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »

Why do we have five seperate words for gun projectile, anyway?
The bullet is the part that gets launched, a shell is basically just a round full of shot, a cartridge is everything but the bullet, a slug is pretty much a single giant round from a shotgun, and a round is the whole ammunition piece, if I recall correctly.

Then there are clips and magazines... which are really pretty simple to tell the difference between. Clips are rounds stacked together and held together in some way, magazines are containers in which rounds are stacked onto each other, and are detachable usually.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: December 09, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »

And then you've got shot, which is the pellets in a shell
Then you have shell, but for the really big guns (Artillery) which is the round itself
And then there's missile and rocket, which are very different (One is a guided rocket, the other is anything that uses rocket propulsion, weapon or not)
Chaingun and minigun, (One is a machine gun that relies on external power to cycle the action, the other has multiple rotating barrels)
Munitions/Ordnance (The former is for all ammunition, the latter is for the big guns)

And so much more.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: December 09, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »

It bothers me too, but it's not worth getting angry over~
You're better off politely expressing the difference to people~
They're more likely to retain it that way, too~

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: December 09, 2011, 11:03:13 pm »

And then you've got shot, which is the pellets in a shell
Then you have shell, but for the really big guns (Artillery) which is the round itself
And then there's missile and rocket, which are very different (One is a guided rocket, the other is anything that uses rocket propulsion, weapon or not)
Chaingun and minigun, (One is a machine gun that relies on external power to cycle the action, the other has multiple rotating barrels)
Munitions/Ordnance (The former is for all ammunition, the latter is for the big guns)

And so much more.

A missile is technically any projectile, thrown or launched. Though admittedly it is usually used to refer to rocked propelled ordinance. I was under the impression missiles were guided and rockets weren't. Granted just saying "guided rocket/missile" really takes the confusion out of it, but where's the fun in that?  :P
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: December 09, 2011, 11:06:56 pm »

The clip / magazine thing bugs me too, but not enough to get me worked up over it.

Now, sometimes my inner grammer inquisitor comes out and I read people mixing up then/than, screwing up there/their/they're, saying things like "I could care less", and so on.  It makes me rage inside for a few picoseconds, but not enough to bother actually saying anything.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: December 09, 2011, 11:35:53 pm »

Telgin, your avatar made me rage. Not at you, no. Not even because I don't like Robotnik. I love Robotnik. My mom used to play Sonic when I was a baby to put me to sleep. Without him there would BE no Sonic since you can't have a protagonist without an antagonist. And hell, it's not like he ever poses an actual threat to anyone but himself.

But when people trivialize my favorite villain by calling him a completely ridiculous name it really gets me. I mean sure, he's a little rotund. Hell, he may even be shaped like an egg. But his villainy is in making ROBOTS to do his bidding. Not eggs! Excluding the death egg, but I choose to ignore that since it was filled with ROBOTS.

But to be honest I just didn't know until like 3 years ago that he even HAD another name. I don't really care much what his original name was intended to be, he was, is, and always will be that fat bastard Robotnik trying to ruin my day with easily predictable boss mechanics.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: December 09, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »

I'm completely with you on that, Shinotsa. Robotnik has a lot of robots, his giant ships are full of robots, and its just generally an cooler name than Eggman. Why did they change it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: December 09, 2011, 11:59:52 pm »

Dr. Ivan Robotnik has NO OTHER NAME AND THAT'S FINAL!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: December 10, 2011, 12:09:04 am »

Isn't "eggman" a more accurate translation or something? A lot of his stuff is egg shaped so it wouldn't surprise me if there's a naming theme going on here.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: December 10, 2011, 12:16:10 am »

Possibly, possibly not. But its like Balrog's Huzzah: First way is best way.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: December 10, 2011, 12:19:10 am »

kaijyuu apparently doesn't know what "And that's final" means. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: December 10, 2011, 12:20:45 am »

kaijyuu apparently doesn't know what "And that's final" means. :P

When comparing that to the above poster [above zero's post]'s sig...

???

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: December 10, 2011, 12:21:19 am »

From what I've been able to piece together, the Eggman thing came about from the comic, or something.  Apparently in the US version of the Sonic comics, Dr. Robotnik was successfully killed off ala betrayal from his nephew, Snively, and also Sonic beating the crud out of him.  After a number of episodes of Sonic and friends dealing with other villains, finding ancient relics, and converting Robotropolis to Mobotropolis, an alternate reality Dr. Robotnik showed up from space.  This Robotnik is the slimmer, weirder version seen in Sonic games today.  And apparently he goes by the name "Eggman."  I'm not sure why.  I may or may not be correct about this though.

Dr. Robotnik is still the better villain by far.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: December 10, 2011, 12:35:00 am »

Wow, I hadn't even thought of that, but yes, the whole Eggman vs. Robotnik thing makes me rage all day if I think about it.  Robotnik is my favorite villain ever.  He's been butchered beyond belief.  Actually, just everything that's happened to the Sonic franchise makes me rage.  They took my favorite video game franchise from my childhood and... destroyed it.

Anyway, as far as I've been able to deduce, Eggman has always been his name in Japan.  I don't care, Robotnik is just better than Eggman.  It also makes absolutely no sense to change it in the U.S. after he had been Robotnik for so many years.

Grr, this reminds me of how they ruined Mega Man X too... gah, everything I love gets ruined.  :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 3345