Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694897 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Angry at Numbers! Edition
« Reply #7050 on: October 05, 2011, 02:12:48 pm »

Extremely dated article on the subject

I take it you're Czech or Polish, ChairmanPoo? I guess it doesn't honestly matter where you live, everyone is getting laid off and this basically an agreement between European and U.S. powers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Angry at Numbers! Edition
« Reply #7051 on: October 05, 2011, 02:24:01 pm »

Aw shit, really? I thought the Obama administration put the kibosh on that.  ::)

I wonder if the current justification is still "Iran is gonna be all up in ur Europe, blowin' up ur cities".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: October 05, 2011, 03:00:48 pm »

Extremely dated article on the subject

I take it you're Czech or Polish, ChairmanPoo? I guess it doesn't honestly matter where you live, everyone is getting laid off and this basically an agreement between European and U.S. powers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/05/us-nato-missile-defence-idUSTRE7945B620111005

PAMJ wrote:

In Spain we are having more than 300 home evictions a day, unemployment is at historical records, and the two major parties have joyfully agreed to reduce social spending and I+D, and other dubious “austerity policies”.

Yet, despite all that, we somehow have the cash to burn on this SDI crap? What the hell?

Also, what is this white elephant of a project supposed to protect us from, exactly? The whole thing is ridiculous.
We need to address the blatant political corruption and abuses from the banks, not waste money in antimissile batteries to protect us from enemies that simply aren’t there.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:05:47 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: October 05, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »

I just heard on the news:

A teacher at a Parochial Elementary school was Diagnosed with narcolepsy and got disability leave.

However, when she returned, she was told to resign. She threatened to sue because it's discrimination. She was immediately fired. Now it's going to the Supreme Court to decide if federal anti-discrimination laws are still in effect when dealing with religious institutions.

Ah, here's a link: Shocking, really.

Quote from: NPR
The Hosanna-Tabor church and school in Redford, Mich., does not dispute that it fired Perich for threatening to sue. The school maintains that although Perich taught primarily nonreligious subjects like math and science, she is a minister because she taught one religion course. Under church doctrine, ministers are required to resolve all disputes within the church. Thus, the church argues that Perich is exempt from the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act and has no right to go to court to win back her job.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:07:10 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: October 05, 2011, 07:27:47 pm »

No.

In making a post that raises a legitimate complaint about how the the Lutheran church treated an employee, you're missing a much, much larger issue from your post entirely. It's going to the Supreme Court to decide who gets to be a minister under the law. Any ruling in the case could have major impacts on a number of other issues that are not even related to this woman in any way.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: October 05, 2011, 07:29:50 pm »

Hey, I only heard ONE issue.

Don't blame me for a lack of information.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: October 05, 2011, 07:32:22 pm »

Wouldn't the ruling have more to do with whether or not churches are allowed to discriminate against disabled people/ unfairly dismiss people...?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: October 05, 2011, 07:42:44 pm »

Wouldn't the ruling have more to do with whether or not churches are allowed to discriminate against disabled people/ unfairly dismiss people...?
Do you have any idea the amount of drama that goes on at the upper levels of churches? Accusations fly, people entrench themselves trying to find any way they can to hold on to their positions, and these spaces can become some of the most uncomfortable places in the world when you have one person threatening to tear down the entire church with a legal threat. Then absolutely no one talks about it outside of rumours and that work area.

This woman is in the right, but this precedent will cause bloodshed.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: October 05, 2011, 07:45:32 pm »

Do you have any idea the amount of drama that goes on at the upper levels of churches? Accusations fly, people entrench themselves trying to find any way they can to hold on to their positions, and these spaces can become some of the most uncomfortable places in the world when you have one person threatening to tear down the entire church with a legal threat. Then absolutely no one talks about it outside of rumours and that work area.

Wait, what's narcolepsy? Isn't that like what afflicted poor Garfield the cat?

Why would they want her to resign anyway, over something that is presumably treatable, if not cureable? Assuming it is, as she returned to work. If she is either refusing to take treatment or it is untreatable, I could understand why this would be done, but otherwise it looks like it's merely office politics.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: October 05, 2011, 07:48:00 pm »

Narcolepsy is:

A chronic sleep disorder, or dyssomnia, characterized by an excessive urge to sleep at inappropriate times, such as while at work. They also usually experience disturbed nocturnal sleep and an abnormal daytime sleep pattern, which is often confused with insomnia.

And is treatable.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: October 05, 2011, 07:48:40 pm »

Why does that apply any more to churches than other organizations?  And is giving churches blanket immunity to any kind of employment law (which they can apparently easily extend to cover almost completely nonreligious teachers) really the way to prevent this "bloodshed"?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49:12 pm »

So assuming she's taking treatment....what could POSSIBLY be the issue? Unless the Lutherans are anti-medicine. Are they?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: October 05, 2011, 07:51:41 pm »

It would seem more like good old fashioned "We don't think you as a disabled person can do your job anymore, get out".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: October 05, 2011, 07:53:56 pm »

Why does that apply any more to churches than other organizations?  And is giving churches blanket immunity to any kind of employment law (which they can apparently easily extend to cover almost completely nonreligious teachers) really the way to prevent this "bloodshed"?

Well, think of it like this. They either believe that what their religion teaches is true, or it isn't. If they do believe it is true, then they have a moral responsibility to ensure that the children involved are raised correctly.

For you people out there looking for a practical reason why this is useful, if they teach something at all contrary to the religious beliefs of the organisation backing the school, you can then sue them for endangering the child's immortal soul. They were either negligent or deliberately teaching what they believe is wrong, and they believe that at stake is the child's immortal soul, so that should be worth at least a moderate sum of money.

If they believe that what they are teaching isn't true, you can then sue them for not teaching what you have sent the child there to be taught, and thus sue them for negligence. Either way, you win.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: October 05, 2011, 07:56:25 pm »

That's... possibly true, but completely irrelevant?  Why do churches need to ignore anti-disability discrimination laws in order to teach people about a certain religion?
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 3345