Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693452 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Metaphysical RAEG Edition
« Reply #6780 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:05 am »

But....the world is pretty much built on triangles.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Metaphysical RAEG Edition
« Reply #6781 on: September 26, 2011, 09:05:44 am »

But....the world is pretty much built on triangles.

... I'm sure you know how friendly I am with the real world by now?

<------ Proud not to be a physicist
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: September 26, 2011, 09:05:44 am »

Whose talkin' 'bout triangles?!

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: September 26, 2011, 09:18:32 am »

Quote from: Rousseau
Now it is easy to see that the moral part of love is an artificial sentiment, born of usage in society, and cultivated by women with much skill and care in order to establish their empire over men, and so make dominant the sex that out to obey.

Quote from: Marginalia
ROUSSEAU YOU FUCKER
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: September 26, 2011, 09:28:29 am »

Whose talkin' 'bout triangles?!
*img snip*
Was that the Particle Man sketch that Tiny Toons did?  :D

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: September 26, 2011, 09:30:22 am »

Indeed. Was quite a while ago, I think when Old New Yorke was once New Amsterdam....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: September 26, 2011, 09:41:23 am »

Indeed. Was quite a while ago, I think when Old New Yorke was once New Amsterdam....
I'd forgotten they did a sketch of that one as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqJXxHi6RwQ

Even better to find out that the 'plot' is a take-off of a 1960's heist film set in Istanbul. Tiny Toons was so full of win.
I RAEG that the gems of WB animation like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Histeria aren't being made anymore.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: September 26, 2011, 09:42:28 am »

Fuck triangles.  Seriously.  Never liked the suckers.
Exactly. It's just a damn triangle. Why the hell do I have to learn them if I'm going to be a... let's say a lawyer. This education system thing is pretty fucked. Seriously, does a lawyer need to know about trigonometry? In my country, they do. I wish I lived in somewhere else with a better education system.
Because even lawyers sometimes need to know how to build their own bookshelves, or how tall a building is, or how far away something is.
Not sure I get that. What does trigonometry has to do with building a bookshelf and calculating how far away something is?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: September 26, 2011, 09:52:01 am »

Exactly. It's just a damn triangle. Why the hell do I have to learn them if I'm going to be a... let's say a lawyer. This education system thing is pretty fucked. Seriously, does a lawyer need to know about trigonometry? In my country, they do. I wish I lived in somewhere else with a better education system.
Because even lawyers sometimes need to know how to build their own bookshelves, or how tall a building is, or how far away something is.
Not sure I get that. What does trigonometry has to do with building a bookshelf and calculating how far away something is?
Bookshelf I'm not sure about, but there's a classic trig problem where you have to find the height of a sand dune given just 2 distances from it and the 2 angles at those distances between the ground and the top of the sand dune. Presumably, that could also be used to figure out the height of a building, although it would probably be easier, faster and relatively more precise to just count the number of stories in the building...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:28 am »

Given 2 known sides and 1 known angle, you can calculate the other two angles and the remaining side of a triangle. It's how landscaping works and it's also used by the military to spot for artillery.
Nothing important here, move along.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: September 26, 2011, 10:24:34 am »

If we'd only teach our children what we are sure they're going to need, we'll soon find out just how well we can judge what we really need...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: September 26, 2011, 10:25:35 am »

Bookshelf I'm not sure about, but there's a classic trig problem where you have to find the height of a sand dune given just 2 distances from it and the 2 angles at those distances between the ground and the top of the sand dune. Presumably, that could also be used to figure out the height of a building, although it would probably be easier, faster and relatively more precise to just count the number of stories in the building...

Since grade school, I have always went "WTF?" with maths questions they asked at school. Here is an example I faced when I was around 8 years old:

There are 8 chickens and an unknown number of horses in an animal farm. When you count their legs, there are 28 legs. How many horses are there?

I was like "Just stop wasting our time with counting legs and count the damn animals already". What a genius solution right? I guess that explains why I still can't learn a maths topic without thinking "What kinda stuff are we going to use this knowledge for? I would be okay if it was general knowledge but..."

I seriously can't find myself interested in a topic if it doesn't have any practical use in real life. I like the history lessons though. It is real and interesting. Maths? It just seems like another dimension. Something that makes simple things a lot more difficult. I wish I could study maths without stomachache but this is just the way I am. I suck at these things. I really envy math-geniuses.

Even my teacher is agreeing to me that this education system just fills students with knowledge that we will forget after graduation.

If we'd only teach our children what we are sure they're going to need, we'll soon find out just how well we can judge what we really need...

Of course. If you ask an average student s(he) won't want to learn a thing that seems complex. But do they really have to teach college stuff (IMO) like trigonometry at high school?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:27:28 am by Leatra »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: September 26, 2011, 10:47:17 am »

The ability to just shut up and work on a task is quite an important one too. Besides that, many of the seemingly senseless problems (like the leg-counting one you mentioned) train you to convert a textually explained problem into one a mathematic problem. In that case they were trying to get you to realize that you could solve the problem by realizing you'd need to solve the equation 4*h + 16 = 28. I would argue that the ability to convert problems and the realization that problems are convertible between different kinds of descriptions is actually something very important and mathematics helps a lot with that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: September 26, 2011, 10:49:27 am »

Since grade school, I have always went "WTF?" with maths questions they asked at school. Here is an example I faced when I was around 8 years old:

There are 8 chickens and an unknown number of horses in an animal farm. When you count their legs, there are 28 legs. How many horses are there?

I was like "Just stop wasting our time with counting legs and count the damn animals already". What a genius solution right? I guess that explains why I still can't learn a maths topic without thinking "What kinda stuff are we going to use this knowledge for? I would be okay if it was general knowledge but..."
...But that's just missing the point, it's just a metaphor to make the example less abstract. Would your eight-year-old self preferred it if it said. "X=2Z, Y=4Z. You have 8X and 28Z. How many Y do you have?"

(Also I hope I did that right because I suck at math too and there is a big chance I failed ;))
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: September 26, 2011, 10:55:39 am »

Hmm... but on an Animal Farm, don't birds count as four legged?  That would imply that some of your chickens are legless and there are no horses at all.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 3345