Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693055 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Metaphysical RAEG Edition
« Reply #6765 on: September 25, 2011, 10:12:27 pm »

If we're on the subject of horses, a buddy's husky once got loose and started chasing a bunch of horses in one of the paddocks on campus here. It was during our attempts to catch him that I was faced with many large, angry horses. Also, at one point, the dog's leash got caught on a hoof and he was dragged for a good ten meters or so before it slipped off, miraculously. The son of a bitch was fine, too; he just came walking up to us smiling like nothing had happened, and it was only at this point that we managed to hold him down long enough for somebody else to bring us a new leash. I lost a good hat that day (I didn't want to venture back into the paddock to retrieve it).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Metaphysical RAEG Edition
« Reply #6766 on: September 25, 2011, 10:24:13 pm »

I really like horses, I've even ridden a couple before. It's pretty amazing having an animal carry you that can pretty much bolt whenever the fuck it wants, but is tame enough that it does your bidding. Plus, they're pretty cute when they eat bread and apples out of your hand ^.^

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: September 25, 2011, 10:30:45 pm »

I like horses too, having ridden a fair amount as a kid and teen.

But they're still 700+ pnd animals that spook easily, have nice hard edges on their hooves with some nice heavy steel added on, and like to stomp, kick and bite. I've never been thrown or kicked but I've watched it happen.

I like horses right up until the point they flip the fuck out. Then they're terrifying.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: September 25, 2011, 11:06:35 pm »

You don't need extraordinary math skills to program (though they help), but trigonometry and perhaps some Pre-Calculus is useful for everything.
Ahahahahahahahaha.
Currently doing higher (5th year of high school) physics and advanced higher (6th year of high school) maths as my maths module, and that's just semester 1.
I'm doing Physics 257 and Calculus II at the moment, and also learning C++. Both are helpful, but as yet I haven't had to apply any derivatives to my programs. You probably need them for a degree, though, not just for learning the stuff. Maybe I'm wrong.

Stop using wolf urine as cologne? I dunno what would cause that. I typically invoke the opposite response from most animals. I've had wild animals eat from my hand. The only thing to ever attack me (other than insects) was a domesticated wolfhound, because it hadn't seen me in over a year and thought I was an intruder. Oh, and a green snake that I accidentally stepped on.
I think I'm about average for animal attacks. Cats, dogs, cows, and such generally ignore me. Deer come right up to me and chill out, and birds fly around me sometimes. I have run amongst a herd of a few dozen elk, it was neato. On the other hand, I've been threatened by a bear, chased by two cougars, and attacked by countless horses. Bears tend to do that when you accidentally run near their young, so I expected that one. It was cougar season and I was alone, so that explains the chase scene with those. Horses? No idea. I'll be with half a dozen family members and horses will rear up in the middle of a parade and charge towards me. I'll be running on one side of the highway and forty horses in a pasture opposite me will run straight up to the fence and start whinnying and neighing and causing a commotion.

I like horses right up until the point they flip the fuck out. Then they're terrifying.
Hence why I am afraid of horses. They are always flipping the fuck out around me.

But enough about my apparent blood feud with horses. It's time for Intercultural Communications, there will be enough to RAAAAAAAAGE about afterwards.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: September 25, 2011, 11:25:16 pm »

I think I'm about average for animal attacks. Cats, dogs, cows, and such generally ignore me. Deer come right up to me and chill out, and birds fly around me sometimes. I have run amongst a herd of a few dozen elk, it was neato. On the other hand, I've been threatened by a bear, chased by two cougars, and attacked by countless horses. Bears tend to do that when you accidentally run near their young, so I expected that one. It was cougar season and I was alone, so that explains the chase scene with those. Horses? No idea. I'll be with half a dozen family members and horses will rear up in the middle of a parade and charge towards me. I'll be running on one side of the highway and forty horses in a pasture opposite me will run straight up to the fence and start whinnying and neighing and causing a commotion.
*MetalSlimeHunt takes Ochita's Messiah Tie and places it on Barbarossa.*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: September 26, 2011, 12:07:26 am »

I like animals, too.  I talk to them a lot and they'll come by and say hello.  Sometimes people laugh at me when I talk to the squirrels in German :(
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: September 26, 2011, 12:10:16 am »

Nobody bats an eye around here if you have two or three deer following you around. There are probably more deer living in this town than people, and they apparently know that they can't be shot at within city limits. It's still hunting season, so they're just roaming about. They avoid the main roads, but on the side streets you can usually see someone having to stop while a herd crosses the street.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: September 26, 2011, 06:34:13 am »

You don't need extraordinary math skills to program (though they help), but trigonometry and perhaps some Pre-Calculus is useful for everything.
Just to let you know, we learn trigonometry in high school in my country. You learn some basics when you are 14 years old and the real stuff starts when you are like 16 years old I guess.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:12 am »

Fuck triangles.  Seriously.  Never liked the suckers.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: September 26, 2011, 06:45:08 am »

Exactly. It's just a damn triangle. Why the hell do I have to learn them if I'm going to be a... let's say a lawyer. This education system thing is pretty fucked. Seriously, does a lawyer need to know about trigonometry? In my country, they do. I wish I lived in somewhere else with a better education system.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: September 26, 2011, 07:09:12 am »

I have run amongst a herd of a few dozen elk, it was neato.
Okay, THAT would scare the piss out of me. We don't have elk here, except at the state zoo. But the ones I've seen there are huge. Like something out of prehistoric times huge.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:17 am »

Exactly. It's just a damn triangle. Why the hell do I have to learn them if I'm going to be a... let's say a lawyer. This education system thing is pretty fucked. Seriously, does a lawyer need to know about trigonometry? In my country, they do. I wish I lived in somewhere else with a better education system.
Because even lawyers sometimes need to know how to build their own bookshelves, or how tall a building is, or how far away something is.

I have run amongst a herd of a few dozen elk, it was neato.
Okay, THAT would scare the piss out of me. We don't have elk here, except at the state zoo. But the ones I've seen there are huge. Like something out of prehistoric times huge.
They're everywhere here. Generally they're pretty huge, but as long as there are more than two males in a herd they're pretty safe to be around. With only one, they'll assume you're encroaching on their mates. With two, they'll probably fight you or each other, both of which are unsafe situations. With more, though, there's generally an established hierarchy, so as long as you don't act alpha-esque, they won't gore you to death.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: September 26, 2011, 08:40:32 am »

Actually, I'm okay with equilateral and isoceles triangles.  Also right ones.  It's just the scalenes with no special properties that drive me up the wall.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: September 26, 2011, 08:42:38 am »

I think circles are pretty.  :3

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: September 26, 2011, 08:47:26 am »

I've come dislike all math in English, since I feel so stupid when I don't understand what everybody's talking about.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 3345