Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693239 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6555 on: September 17, 2011, 03:40:03 pm »

But if you already knew it was predestined (but not where you were going) then surely it wouldn't matter what you did regardless of where you'd end up.  Heck, if you're predestined to go to hell that's all the more reason to enjoy your time on earth as much as possible.
The thing about destiny is that you can't fight it if you don't know what it is. Just because it's set out on a table somewhere else doesn't mean shit if you're not looking at the table. It is very close to a great example of Schrodinger's Cat. Until you know your own fate, you are destined for both heaven and hell at the same time.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: September 17, 2011, 03:45:05 pm »

Parts of Christian thinking have started to reinforce the beliefs that people in power use to abuse us. Current thinking by the mega churches is that God rewards those he likes with wealth. If you're wealthy, it's because god likes you and what you're doing. So whatever you're doing to make money, keep doing it, because it both pleases God and is a sign of his favor.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that has zero to do with body of Christian belief, and has been hi-jacked by the wealthy so they can always fall back on religion when the real world starts getting pissed about what they're doing to get it.

And then there's the whole belief that we're just working toward the Apocalypse with every minute, so in some sense they've got plenty of motivation to "be as Christian as possible" right up until the last minute.

It's why self-described Christian Businessmen scare me. It's why the Mormon Church scares me. The marriage of global finance and religion is almost as scary as the marriage of religion and government.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:10:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: September 17, 2011, 03:52:20 pm »

The whole wealth=god's favor thing is crazy on the face of it. Hitler was wealthy and powerful while he was alive, does that mean that god liked him killing off all the jews? What happens when two kings go to war with eachother, does god favor both sides? Does god just plain favor war in general? Why wasn't Jesus loaded?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: September 17, 2011, 03:59:45 pm »

Spoiler: so much blasphemy (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: September 17, 2011, 04:01:22 pm »

Bauglir I am fucking loving your new religion, are you taking converts?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:12 pm »

Yes. For just $11.95, I'll send you a copy of our holy book, the One True History of Mighty Atheismo. Don't forget the $79.95 (shipping and handling). For an additional $5.99, I can also sign you up for a subscription to our newsletter, "Fuck the Other Guy".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: September 17, 2011, 04:08:05 pm »

God doesn't favor me enough to know about your religion.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: September 17, 2011, 04:09:25 pm »

See, I knew it. The person behind Bauglir is really Pat Robertson!
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: September 17, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »

See, I knew it. The person behind Bauglir is really Pat Robertson!

How insulting. You think you can compare me to that amateur and get away with it? I will end you

Prepare to feel the wrath of my orbital money cannon!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: September 17, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »

Damn, the instant you said that I felt the compulsion to go illustrate the Orbital Money Canon. It's his will!!!11111.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: September 17, 2011, 04:18:27 pm »

Mind if I explain what they might have meant when they say they do good deeds 'so they will get to heaven'? I'm thinking they either: mistranslated their answer or misunderstood the reason you're doing good deeds.

You go to heaven if you lead a moral life and have no mortal sin. But you lead a moral life and have no mortal sin BECAUSE you love God, and these are signs you love God. As you love God, you desire heaven. In a roundabout way, you do good deeds to go to heaven.

I would point out that predestination is a relatively new idea of salvation. I've not looked at it much, so I can't speak much about it.

Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: September 17, 2011, 04:28:36 pm »

You go to heaven if you lead a moral life and have no mortal sin. But you lead a moral life and have no mortal sin BECAUSE you love God, and these are signs you love God. As you love God, you desire heaven. In a roundabout way, you do good deeds to go to heaven.
What if you lead a moral life with no mortal sin but don't believe in God?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: September 17, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »

Then you end up in the first circle of hell.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: September 17, 2011, 04:31:17 pm »

In its current form, predestination is only a few hundred years old.

Over the span of time, however, just about everyone has claimed a divine mandate for what they do, and its one of the philosophical/religious/political tenets that can be found in the East and the West. It's not really the claim that has changed, but the context in which its used.

What if you lead a moral life with no mortal sin but don't believe in God?

Not believing in God is a mortal sin. Consider the context in which that belief first formed. When your King was one step below God, acquiescence to God meant acquiescence to your liege. When your King is divinely appointed, if you don't recognize the system in which their authority is vested, you don't recognize their authority. The idea of secular authority is actually quite young itself.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:33:40 pm by nenjin »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: September 17, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »

Then you end up in the first circle of hell.
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but Limbo was idealized by Dante. If you're christian, then his version of infierno is nothing but a fanfic.
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 3345