Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696668 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6315 on: August 31, 2011, 11:06:34 am »

There are plans to bring back the Blues Brothers. As a weekly TV series. With a tribute band playing the roles of Jake and Elwood. It's being partly written by Belushi's widow, and "sanctioned" by Dan Akroyd.

That earthquake we had? That was Belushi's corpse spinning in its grave.  >:(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Q!!
« Reply #6316 on: August 31, 2011, 11:18:58 am »

things that make me rage. 

Sending in my laptop to be repaired a second time.  (they cleaned the graphics card and sent it back the first time).
Recieving my laptop (which is in a new case, has paint on 3 or 4 keys) case is scuffed up, Laptop appears to be missing a hard drive.  Checked and nope, it's there just not screwed in..., windows is not a genuine copy, DVD player instead of Blueray player...

Things that make me rage,

Now having to send the laptop back in for a third time when it should have been fixed on the first.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: August 31, 2011, 11:23:59 am »

Which company?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: August 31, 2011, 11:44:53 am »

She was better in portal 1. The script for her then was perfection, but come portal 2 they were just trying to stretch the joke too far. Sure it was funny, but in a more comic way, than the very subtle character that GlaDOS was.
I think what makes GLaDOS so great is that in a way she is more human than humans. She's got pretty much all of the character traits which define psychopathy, but due to circumstances, are actually somewhat justified. Delusions of grandeur aren't delusions when you happen to be a super-intelligent AI whose control over the facility borders between supreme ruler and deity. She shows a general lack of empathy, but that too can be at least justified as you being not only an entirely different species, but a fundamentally different life-form. The ambiguity of her character is what makes her great; it's clear from the start she is an AI, but it is left murky as to her level of humanity. The ending song of Portal turns what was a clear, unambiguous destruction of GLaDOS into a question of whether or not she managed to survive somehow.
Spoiler: portal 2 spoilers (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: August 31, 2011, 11:46:53 am »

"Jed's Compewter Fix'em-Uppers", from the sound of it. Most of that I would roll my eyes and chalk up to incompetence, but an illegal copy of Windows?? That's not a screw-up, that's sketchy as hell.

EDIT: Also, the training was as bad as I expected. Basically, "Make the customer feel like you're breaking all the rules to help them, but don't lie to them." Well guess what, dipshit. If I'm telling them "Normally, we can't do that, but we'll make an exception for you" then I'm probably LYING TO THEM. Also, this is a job dealing with the US Department of Justice. When they make rules, WE DON'T BEND THEM. Period. Not even for their own people (unless they're a high muckety-muck, as is true for all organizations). Gaaaah. I hate trainers who have no fucking clue what the people they're training actually do. This came across more like sleazy sales/marketing (no offense to MaximumZero, but I tend to think that sales and marketing are tools of the Devil).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:05:44 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: August 31, 2011, 06:13:54 pm »

Want to know what makes me angry? Reading this thread and seeing several pages worth of posts from people criticising the poor/young for small-scale theft while implicitly condoning the current socio-economic systems which encourage such actions through a steadily increasing disparity between rich and poor.

Here's a simple example: If I have £1000 to my name, I will probably have to work for almost my entire life, and will end up, maybe, owning my own home and having some money to retire on, if I'm lucky. On the other hand, if I start off with £10,000,000 (say, through inheritance or fraud) I never have to work another day in my life, still get to live in luxury, AND I end up with more money than I started with simply by putting some into stock-market funds managed by someone I hired.

Oh, how about another example: about 15% of people in the US were food insecure in 2009 [1]. This means they had no reliable source of food (or money for food). On the other hand, the richest 1% own about 34.6% of total assets and the richest 20% own over 85% [2]. Hey, look at that, more people who like to sit on their piles of cash and complain about all the poor people causing trouble.

Frankly, it's really fucking depressing when I look out there and see BILLIONS of people all screwing each other over just to try and claw their way to the top of the pile, while preaching about 'morals' and 'ethics'. WE HAVE WALKED ON THE MOON FOR FUCK'S SAKE! Seriously, we are the result of about ~4 billion years of evolution, yet we still can't manage to build a society where people aren't required to act unethically in order to live in comfort. Hell, we can't even build a society where people know how to screw each other over without being massive fucking hypocrites.

Want to know the bit that makes me angry rather than just impatient though? I can't think of a better system without resorting to Deus ex Machina (quite literally, since my best models require an as-yet hypothetical AI to run things). The problem lies in one simple fact: Humans fuck each other over no matter what. Even if you try as hard as possible to act ethically, your brain is hardwired to find justifications for actions which benefit you at the expense of others. Maybe 1/10 people could overcome this to a point where they could act as functional members of society, but this number is simply too small to make it work. The fact is that even if there are only a small number of 'greedy' individuals, they will still claw their way up into positions where they can cause maximum harm.

Actually, 1 last point, fuck anyone who complains about the ethics of others then suggests death as an appropriate penalty for them (or in fact any penalty what so ever). Guess what? When you wish that unethical individuals be harmed, you are acting unethically. I would advise enacting your beliefs, preferably after rectifying them so you don't have to commit suicide.

[1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:US_Unemployment_1890-2009.gif
[2] http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

PS: If anyone's wondering why I use £ for currency but talk about the US, it's because I know the value of £ better (I'm in the UK) but the US is the largest model of 'Western Capitalism' (as oppose to true capitalism).

Anyway, rant over, I'll try and calm down now. Also, I'll try to avoid looking at this thread for a while just in case this starts up the argument over piracy again. I've already concluded that the question is irrelevant given the wider perspective, but hypocrisy makes me RRRAAAAAGE none the less. Also, I REALLY want someone to try and defend the 'Corporate Dictatorship' which exists currently, please, go ahead, I think it would be funny. Screw it, I may check back here, I don't know, I just figured I'd let everyone have a nice taste of RAGE since this is the rage thread.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #6321 on: August 31, 2011, 06:18:13 pm »

Good rage UberNube, I agree with most, but I don't want to discuss part I don't agree with, just want to say that you atleast observe a large amount of truth :) Hope raging helped you a bit.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: August 31, 2011, 07:08:10 pm »

Random Youtube videos that have specific spoilers in their names keep popping up in the "related" section. Fucking hate that.

Useful when searching for some scenes after you've seen them, but still...

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: August 31, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »

Want to know what makes me angry? Reading this thread and seeing several pages worth of posts from people criticising the poor/young for small-scale theft while implicitly condoning the current socio-economic systems which encourage such actions through a steadily increasing disparity between rich and poor.
After reading this first paragraph, my first thought was "Holy shit what have economists done to the language I once knew as English."

Then I rad the rest of the rage, and I have but this to say: Good luck designing a better system.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: September 01, 2011, 03:57:02 am »

I just found out that my sister's boyfriend has been threatening her and beating her. This is the first time I've literally wanted to cut off someone's hand.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: September 01, 2011, 03:58:30 am »

What the hell? I destest people who do that.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:35 am »

I'm going on a journey.  I don't know when I'll be back.
ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ RRRGH why does this stuff keep happening when I'm gone?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: September 01, 2011, 04:51:37 am »

Or whille I'm asleep.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: September 01, 2011, 10:05:23 am »

My translator says that ノಠ益ಠ)ノ means button ಠ benefit  ಠ ) button... 
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 3345