Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696601 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6300 on: August 31, 2011, 08:20:42 am »

I enjoy fiction, because
Reality cannot satisfy the needs of the mind.

So I may belong to the group of people that make you rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: August 31, 2011, 08:21:45 am »

You're telling me the world wouldn't be a better place if we were all were a little more like Spider Jerusalem?  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: August 31, 2011, 08:23:54 am »

Well that is the obvious exception. But fuck man, I can't be Jack sparrow and Howl Pendragon at the same time!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: August 31, 2011, 08:25:59 am »

I'm not sure what the characters being fictional has to do with anything. If the expectations of others are unreasonable, they're unreasonable, regardless of who you're comparing them to.

And besides, good fiction is functionally indistinguishable from reality. Liberties may be taken with the setting, but character personalities are almost always distinctly human.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: August 31, 2011, 08:30:04 am »

Unless they aren't human characters!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: August 31, 2011, 08:45:24 am »

Even then. Virtually all non-human characters are just people in rubber suits. It's VERY difficult to write a truly non-human character, because you would have to make them so incomprehensible that they're not really a character at that point.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: August 31, 2011, 08:58:05 am »

When's the last time you saw a pony harvest apples and have a southern accent?

Though to be fair there are some "non-human" characters, but they're better defined as "human derivative." Take GlaDOS from portal. Obviously doesn't act very "human," yet shares a lot of human personality traits/emotions (such as vengeance, amusement, etc).
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: August 31, 2011, 09:05:37 am »

When's the last time you saw a pony harvest apples and have a southern accent?

Though to be fair there are some "non-human" characters, but they're better defined as "human derivative." Take GlaDOS from portal. Obviously doesn't act very "human," yet shares a lot of human personality traits/emotions (such as vengeance, amusement, etc).
I think GlaDOS acts very human. That's why she's such a popular character. Let's see: she lies, she makes bad jokes, she threatens, she pleads, she tries reverse psychology, she gets angry, she is deliberately cruel, she taunts...those are all pretty human attributes. It actually makes her more of a real character than the stereotypical bad guy who just sits on his throne and goes "Muhahahaha...I'm evil!" for the whole book/game/movie/whatever.

I like to think of her as SHODAN's neurotic, slightly ditzy younger sister.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: August 31, 2011, 09:07:39 am »

Fair enough. I haven't played portal 2 so :X

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: August 31, 2011, 09:09:34 am »

She was better in portal 1. The script for her then was perfection, but come portal 2 they were just trying to stretch the joke too far. Sure it was funny, but in a more comic way, than the very subtle character that GlaDOS was.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: August 31, 2011, 09:13:08 am »

To take a very simple example of a character who is not human and acts in an entirely different manner to humanity, yet is still a character: Tzeentch.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:13 am »

first bronchitis then a cold, this school year is literally getting worse every day X_x

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: August 31, 2011, 10:43:43 am »

To take a very simple example of a character who is not human and acts in an entirely different manner to humanity, yet is still a character: Tzeentch.
Technically speaking we've never actually seen him and have only interacted with the results of his actions, so we cannot really comment on his character.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 3345