Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696598 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6240 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54:03 am »

The time they try to force gaming into a always-on all the time no-exceptions kind of thing will be when they lose quite a lot of people, I'd predict. Singleplayer games that are not browser-based should not require any external connection to use after some kind of verificaton activator thingie.

It's simply a matter of how much of the market has internet. That's it. We're part of a generation that remembers a time before the internet, when it wasn't a fact of life. Eventually......we're not going to be the focus of their marketing efforts and what not. They'll be preaching about always-on to a generation that has never been off....why should they care if a SP game requires the internet? They won't remember a time when they didn't. They can't play games on their phone while it's off the network...why should their PC be any different?

And the indie scene doesn't really help that situation at all. Why? Because you need internet to even have access to the indie scene. We benefit from always being on as much as we resist efforts to capitalize on it.

So yeah. Once that barrier in the public's perception of always-on changes.....game play will follow suit. There will always be games out there that don't require you to stay connected, but eventually they'll be a novelty, rather than the standard in the AAA realm.
Well whenever that supposedly happens, I'll be over here laughing at them who can't play anything when theres a network problem and playing my games just fine.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: August 28, 2011, 01:13:22 pm »

When I am a network administrator, I am going to, every once and while, flip local routers off and back on. Everyone who says, "Where'd the internet go?" is most likely guilty of something.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: August 28, 2011, 02:02:45 pm »

Stupid peple in online games.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #6243 on: August 28, 2011, 03:11:19 pm »

Stupid peple in online games.

This is the worst yes, so, fucking, tiring ^^'

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: August 28, 2011, 03:11:49 pm »

Try stupid people in general. On the internet, at least, they are easy to get rid of.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: August 28, 2011, 03:46:42 pm »

I'm really happy there's an /ignore all command.
I think I'll be applying this at the start of every game.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: August 28, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »

Try stupid people in general. On the internet, at least, they are easy to get rid of.

Hey, I'm extremely persistent, even on the internet.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: August 28, 2011, 07:08:13 pm »

My first act in any MMO is to turn off general chat.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: August 28, 2011, 07:17:36 pm »

My first act in any MMO is to turn off general chat.
DDO has fairly decent general chat as far as I've seen.
Most everything else since then I let it go for a day or so to see if its as good, which almost always is no.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: August 28, 2011, 07:34:57 pm »

Game Graphics-They are too good and I refuse to spend 1,000 of dollars on modifying a compute with the latest OS and was made early last year, just to play Shogun Total War.
Also, my cousin was racially profiled then beaten by the police and they may have stolen his car.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: August 28, 2011, 07:40:26 pm »

Also, my cousin was racially profiled then beaten by the police and they may have stolen his car.
...the fuck?

Is that remotely common where you live? If not, call a friggin' newspaper or something and get some publicity. If it is common, well, that sucks big time.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: August 28, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »

...the fuck?
Indeed, He is planning on sueing the city(Memphis TN). His girlfriend  heard what happened on her cellphone.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: August 28, 2011, 07:46:58 pm »

I was about to say something about the college making their own books for classes out of tissue paper, then charging $70 for them at an on campus store that is only open during the times that you are working and the only location to get said books because only the school is allowed to sell them.  But damn, that just put that in perspective.

Good luck to your cousin, hope it all gets sorted and they become rich off of the lawsuit.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: August 28, 2011, 07:54:40 pm »

That is terrible. He should definitely sue the city, and I wish him luck in doing so.
What ethnicity is he, out of curiosity?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: August 28, 2011, 07:56:54 pm »

That is terrible. He should definitely sue the city, and I wish him luck in doing so.
What ethnicity is he, out of curiosity?
African American.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 3345