Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695862 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6150 on: August 23, 2011, 08:16:11 am »

I see no problem with people making their own interpretations of movies/books/etc. You don't have to agree with their interpretation, but there's no reason they can't or shouldn't make one. This includes interpretations along the lines of racism, sexism, etc etc.

Movies aren't always about what's immediately shown on the screen.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:23 am »

You've completely missed the point, Lysa. It's not about how the Spartans treat the Persians in the film, it's about how the movie treats the Persians.

And you do realise that even if you would have gotten it, filmatisations of, e g, the oppression of the Scanians or the Stockholm Bloodbath - both movies about horrible things and thus more justified in showing the perpetrators as "evil" (like the Swedish tv-series "Snapphane" did some years back, about the Scanian subjugation) - is something completely different than demonising one the most civilised and just empires history, especially ancient history, has ever seen. That's not "just showing history" or "just entertainment", that's a deliberate attempt at propagandising to change how we view today by changing how we view history. And it's bullshit.

And do note I never called anyone an idiot, that's just you projecting. As is the part about "stomping other's opinions" - I'm just stating mine, just like you are. And believe me, I'm just as tired of people telling me I can't think about or analyse shit because vaguely defined reason (very often "because I like it, and you can't say bad things about something I like"). If you want your "sexy übermen do übermanly things" flick, sure, go ahead and enjoy it. But don't tell me want I can or can't say and can or can't think about it.
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On Saturday, immediately after posting about my current internet and TV troubles, I find a nice headset/mic for $10. Normally, I'd be very happy about this, since I've seen similar headphones w/o mics go for around $25 elsewhere, however, the moment I finish getting it plugged in to my computer, a wire on my mouse breaks.

So now I have no TV, no internet, and now no mouse. At least I have a nice pair of headphones... By the way, the sound pickup on the mic sucks.

Now to be fair, Pippin did kill a huge troll chief that was about to slay Aragorn.

My point: Hobbits are awesome.
If I remember correctly, Bilbo stole a giant diamond out from under a frickin' dragon, which was highly coveted by the dwarves(it was 90% of the entire point of their journey). To hell with kobolds, hobbits should be ambush-thieves in DF.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: August 23, 2011, 12:35:34 pm »

I'm angry at myself for being so bad at everything that people designate as "the truly important things in life."  It's making me sick and tired.  I've always thought that if I just managed to be smart enough and win enough arguments, there'd be no way for society to kick me out.  I'd be too valuable to touch.

I'm tired of being heckled by my relatives and just generally feeling insufficient in all ways, but still being told by my cousins that I come off snobbish and elitist.  I don't really know what to do about that.  No matter how many compliments I receive, no matter what I do, I always feel terrible about myself as a rule.  Like one of those stereotypically weak women, all myth and no substance.

I don't really know.  I guess I'm unhappy because the world doesn't see who I am, and I don't know how to convince it of the truth.

If you want your "sexy übermen do übermanly things" flick, sure, go ahead and enjoy it. But don't tell me want I can or can't say and can or can't think about it.

Also, this.  I happen to own a copy of 300.  True, this was partially so that I could write essays on "conversations surrounding the übermensch in the post-modern era" (that was the excuse I gave my mother), but it was also just because I liked the movie.

However, I can't really talk at length about how much I enjoyed the color saturation, the curves and swoops of movement, the variations on a theme that create a sort of visual melisma.  Mostly because I would sound like a total asshole; partially because I lack training in finding the right words, so I'd be afraid of being made fun of by people who had received an actual education in art and film; and largely because it would reveal more of how I actually think and process things than is usually sensible to reveal (thinking like textbook or robot: easy.  Thinking like normal emotionally balanced person: apparently varies between hard and impossible).

Dunno.  It's kind of weird.  I think that having the things one tends to struggle with reversed tends to make one look like a complete jackass, even if the total level of ability summed over all fields is about the same.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:20:19 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: August 23, 2011, 01:21:28 pm »

Ask yourself:
Do you really need to convince the whole world?

The way I see it, a couple of people who appreciate you for who you are, are sufficient.
Create your own microcosmos and become happy there.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #6155 on: August 23, 2011, 01:32:58 pm »

Halfway through Inception and my DVD drive is fucking up. Again. This keeps happening. It's fine with games, but DVDs fucks it up.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: August 23, 2011, 01:51:39 pm »

EDIT: On second thought, this is a bit of a derail. Should I link it to the Progressive Rage Thread? It's a bit more appropriate for there, except for the fact that its context is here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:55:43 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #6157 on: August 23, 2011, 02:37:46 pm »

EDIT: On second thought, this is a bit of a derail. Should I link it to the Progressive Rage Thread? It's a bit more appropriate for there, except for the fact that its context is here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not a derail, since I raged.

Also, I agree with your post 100% Bauglir, I expressed myself wrongly in anger, I don't think analyses shouldn't be thought about, just that I don't want to be told what to think about movies by other people.

Is it really a progressive subject to devalue movies that does not fit the politically correct worldview? Would society be better without 300?

Because then I guess I'm not as progressive as I think I was, wanting to fight for equality in real life instead of in privately manufactured movies.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: August 23, 2011, 02:44:40 pm »

Ah, right. This IS the rage thread, isn't it? >___________>

Fair enough!

Anyway, I'm not gonna pick a fight with you for liking the movie. Like I said, it has merits and I don't have a problem with people liking it in spite of the problems I see with the narrative (Oh gods, I cannot believe I used that word... WHAT HAVE I BECOME). Your reasons for liking it aren't the the problems I have with it, so any criticism I might have for it is not aimed at you, or even at most of the audience.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: August 23, 2011, 04:10:22 pm »

I'm in a really ragey mood right now, no idea why...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: August 23, 2011, 04:23:21 pm »

Windows Explorer is making me rage. QUIT CRASHING! I NEED YOU TO BE ABLE TO VIEW MY DESKTOP!

THIS. IS. RAAAGEEEE-AH!

This is strange enough that something in particular has to be causing it rather than just Windows being Windows. What version of Windows are you running? Do you have any weird shell extension programs running? I'm tempted to say this is probably a malware problem, since explorer crashing usually Just Doesn't Happen.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: August 23, 2011, 09:24:56 pm »

Is it really a progressive subject to devalue movies that does not fit the politically correct worldview? Would society be better without 300?

Popular movies that serve as war-mongering propaganda, even part, have a definite value.  They explain to us what our society values, the audience to which filmmakers believe they are pandering.  A reflection of what we believe, or what it is thought we believe.

Left intact and without deconstructive analysis, without careful consideration, without cogitation from anyone... no, that's dangerous, and I disagree with it.

It is progressive to devalue films on a progressive metric, i.e. to think and to judge the media we are being offered in terms of the conversation it sparks in the real world.  But to question a movie progressively is not to call for its censorship, or to say it has no merits as a piece of cinema.  It is simply to say "this film says bad and false things about people who we would rather see protected."

A progressive reading is not every possible reading; a progressive metric is not universal or even necessarily correct on what it attempts to judge.  It's a tool of analysis.  That's all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: August 23, 2011, 09:29:13 pm »

Popular movies that serve as war-mongering propaganda, even part, have a definite value.  They explain to us what our society values, the audience to which filmmakers believe they are pandering.  A reflection of what we believe, or what it is thought we believe.

Again, depending on the intent (and, conversely, the interpretation) of the movie, a movie like that needn't be propaganda in itself. A movie about propaganda can accomplish what you're saying fairly directly, without being sympathetic to the propaganda itself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:51 pm »

Windows Explorer is making me rage. QUIT CRASHING! I NEED YOU TO BE ABLE TO VIEW MY DESKTOP!

THIS. IS. RAAAGEEEE-AH!

This is strange enough that something in particular has to be causing it rather than just Windows being Windows. What version of Windows are you running? Do you have any weird shell extension programs running? I'm tempted to say this is probably a malware problem, since explorer crashing usually Just Doesn't Happen.
I DID have a pretty severe malware attack that damaged a system file which was promptly deleted by my virus scanner (nice one, Eset ::)). The file was something along the lines of WOWREG64BIT or something.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: August 23, 2011, 10:59:48 pm »

Again, depending on the intent (and, conversely, the interpretation) of the movie, a movie like that needn't be propaganda in itself. A movie about propaganda can accomplish what you're saying fairly directly, without being sympathetic to the propaganda itself.

Oh, of course.  I hear there's quite the scene in Inglourious Basterds to that effect, or somesuch.

Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 3345