Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695433 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And who is the audience of this movie, and why would they enjoy it, and why is this particular film being marketed to them as the reality of one of their legends?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile

Just think of it as a commentary of society. It's referring to a propaganda and presenting the propaganda as truth in a form of propaganda, and the producers are basically saying 'Be careful of the written word'.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

It's a story of a legend. It's not story of the actual event behind it.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's the story of a story of an event, not the event itself.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just think of it as a commentary of society. It's referring to a propaganda and presenting the propaganda as truth in a form of propaganda, and the producers are basically saying 'Be careful of the written word'.

Yes.  Why does the viewer want to see this particular legend?  Do they really so enjoy this clear commentary of society, where they learn to distrust the written word?  Is that the entertainment in the film?

I am sure that the watchers leave the theater, nodding slightly to themselves, rubbing their chins.  They walk home... they stare at the newspaper on the table.  But they don't pick it up.  They go to bed, troubled, and have restless sleep.

This is their understanding.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And they try to change society so it never happens again! /sarcasm

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes.  Why does the viewer want to see this particular legend?  Do they really so enjoy this clear commentary of society, where they learn to distrust the written word?  Is that the entertainment in the film?

I don't really support the social commentary idea, but... heck, it's an action film. That's why people go see it. If they wanted actual information about the Battle of Thermopylae, they'd watch a documentary instead.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am sure that the watchers leave the theater, nodding slightly to themselves, rubbing their chins.  They walk home... they stare at the newspaper on the table.  But they don't pick it up.  They go to bed, troubled, and have restless sleep.

This is their understanding.

In practice, you're probably right, but in principle, I would totally watch a movie about a completely ridiculous, overblown, xenophobic legend being told by a propagandist, because I'm aware of what that kind of shit actually is, and won't take it at face value. You can enjoy that kind of thing even if (and sometimes especially if) you aren't actually sympathetic to the point of view being portrayed.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6143 on: August 23, 2011, 06:13:27 am »

The BK Stackers commercial song.

Literally hear that thing 3 to 4 times in one commercial break. And now it's been stuck in my head. I've taken to calling it the STD song in revenge.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: August 23, 2011, 06:19:50 am »

Windows Explorer is making me rage. QUIT CRASHING! I NEED YOU TO BE ABLE TO VIEW MY DESKTOP!

THIS. IS. RAAAGEEEE-AH!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: August 23, 2011, 06:24:40 am »

Windows Explorer is making me rage. QUIT CRASHING! I NEED YOU TO BE ABLE TO VIEW MY DESKTOP!

THIS. IS. RAAAGEEEE-AH!

Hop aboard in magic express train to Linux Land...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: August 23, 2011, 06:28:58 am »

THIS. IS. RAAAGEEEE-AH!

Linux sucks. Go go gadget OS debate!

Is Linux anything like windows?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: August 23, 2011, 06:36:49 am »

THIS. IS. RAAAGEEEE-AH!

Linux sucks. Go go gadget OS debate!

Is Linux anything like windows?

Well, the popular graphical desktops are fairly similar to Windows and can be customized. Especially KDE, based on my experience. The degree of freedom is typically much better than with Windows.

But, the warning you may have heard already... don't expect all your games to run out of the box, run smoothy or run at all.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #6148 on: August 23, 2011, 08:03:34 am »

I don't understand feminism and anti-racism analysing of movies and probably never will, If you made a movie about how the Swedes treated the Scanian (It was very barbaric I can tell you) it would maker the Swedes look very evil, but it's not a modern racist statement, it's a portrayal of past times.

If you make a video about the Stockholm Bloodbath, the Danes are suddenly evil and warmongering, but it's not a modern statement that Danes are terrible.

If you make a video about Greeks being invaded by Persians, it's not a modern statement that Persians are terrible.

Leave my entertainment alone, the movie doesn't make me hate Persians and assuming anyone is confused enough to believe in any message the movie delivers, the answer is not to curse the movie, rather you should educate you population, because then it is in severe lack of education. It is not stupid.

I find it aggrevating to always hear people say that "Everyone else must be stupid." "The population is stupid enough." "Normal people are dumb." And so on, and so on.

Many people may be uneducated, but they're not stupid, or they're simply not interested. There is a sometimes tiring opinion that one should stomp all opinions that are not perfect and politically correct. "What? You are uncomfortable around X race? SHUUUUN" "What? You believe in gender roles? SHUUUUN" "You think Y is better than X in a society? SHUUUN"

Can't we just have each our ideals and be all Voltaire about this? You will never spread a good message by attacking everyone else, that's a modern bullshity politician way of doing things.

You don't teach a racist to not be so by hating him for being racist, you teach him so by letting him experience a black or brown person who treats him well, by having him experience that they're not evil.

Most racists in Denmark are people who've never met other races, it's white people on their farms or in little villages who are fed propaganda from the state, politicians and the media.

And even if an educated man has his reasons for believing white man is superior, hate and shunning will never make him change his mind, good arguments, which don't aim to belittle him does.

I am ranting now because I'm honestly irritated by this constant attitude of elitism, arrogance and being right all the time about everything.

I'm just going to leave this here and I'm not going to discuss it either, this is a one time message of frustration, discard it if you feel so inclined

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: August 23, 2011, 08:11:01 am »

I do understand analyzing movies and fiction even from most viewpoints... but I do agree that people tend to take those things too much to the extreme to suit me.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 3345