Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695434 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ghhhhh.

I have a facebook account, which I hate and try to avoid as much as possible. I have a bunch of photos and videos from this year's vacation in Picasa albums that I'm supposed to share on Facebook. Anyone know a good way of sharing these web albums on FB without putting it all in FB albums? Or any other good options besides Picasa that lets me share albums via facebook without actually uploading to facebook?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Possibilities:

a. Share the link on your wall (it will be really hard to find in the long term)

b. Choose the best and most representative photo; put it on Facebook in a single album, dress it up, make it exciting, whatever.  In the description, add the Picasa link.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but it's all I can think of.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Have you thought about sharing them via flickr?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

Woah, never heard of this one before. At least Swedish Wikipedia's got it correctly, so I guess the proper version is what stayed.

Finnish translators somehow managed to muddle up one of the things in Nineteen Eighty-Four. I'm almost too embarrassed to say it...
I have no idea if it were ever changed, but I'm pretty sure there's ever only been two translations. Perhaps Tolkien/his publisher forced mr Misogynist (how is that not a great supervillain name?) to redo that part, though. I can't remember how it went when I read it as a kid.

At least Wikipedia states that Tolkien hated the original Swedish translation and that the new translation is generally considered to be much better. I found no mention of the slayer of the Witch-King being changed, though, but since the translation is known to have many errors I wouldn't doubt it. I also heard that the translator was a prick.

As for the Orwell one... you know that phrase in Nineteen Eighty-Four: "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows."

The Finnish translation somehow muddled all the instances of that phrase into "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make two. If that is granted, all else follows."

So, the phrase highlighting the right (or lack of) to state even politically incorrect facts became... a phrase highlighting the right (or lack of) to practice bad arithmetic. This makes one of the disturbing mental torture scenes later in the book seem more like a math lesson...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:37:13 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Usually, self-aware movies show some sort of sign of self-awareness, or give a distinct signal of an unreliable narrator.

To me, the distinct signal is that it's very clear the narrator is telling a subjective story, and the fact that the story is so completely ridiculous to begin with (the average viewer likely won't take it at face value that the Persians had a nine-foot-tall god-emperor, or mutant supersoldiers). How can that kind of narration be considered reliable unless it's taking place in an obvious fantasy world?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

GAH!

Modding frustration is making me rage!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

b. Choose the best and most representative photo; put it on Facebook in a single album, dress it up, make it exciting, whatever.  In the description, add the Picasa link.

Have you thought about sharing them via flickr?

Hmm, flickr is compelling. At least they seem to have some sort of facebook integration. Downside: I will have to get a premium account since their free accounts limits are so 2004. Taking one picture and just linking to the gallery in its description is a good alternative, albeit a little bodgy.

Must mull this over for a while. Thanks for the tips.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How can that kind of narration be considered reliable unless it's taking place in an obvious fantasy world?

What's your cue that it's not taking place in an obvious fantasy world?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's taking place in the real world, or at least a somewhat fictionalized version of it. Either the guy's narration is ridiculously unreliable and the whole thing is very subjective, or it takes place in a very obviously fantastical world much unlike our own, making any claims of historical inaccuracy/unfairness completely moot, since in that case it's not representing anything from reality at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh-huh.

Because fantasy worlds cannot reflect on what we call reality, or take any root in real experience.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair enough, but I think it's easier to interpret it as a historical guy giving a completely subjective bullshit propaganda account of what happened (especially since this happened all the time back then), rather than interpret it as taking place in an alternate universe that consists of a fictionalized version of ancient history such that he happens to be telling the truth.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

As far as I know 300 is a movie about an actual heroic legend about actual happenings. And heroic legends tend to be exaggerated.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only fact necessary is that it is his truth.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My point is that if you view it with the understanding that the story being told is a subjective and hideously biased/xenophobic account of what happened even in-universe, then the movie itself doesn't come off as being as biased/xenophobic itself. A movie about persians being awful is not the same as a movie about an obviously-unreliable guy talking about persians being awful; you don't have to agree with the guy saying it, and can view it as obvious bullshit, albeit entertaining folksy bullshit.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Fair enough, but I think it's easier to interpret it as a historical guy giving a completely subjective bullshit propaganda account of what happened (especially since this happened all the time back then), rather than interpret it as taking place in an alternate universe that consists of a fictionalized version of ancient history such that he happens to be telling the truth.

There is the fact that when we learn it was all the guy telling a retrospective, and he dons his helmet to lead the next Spartan army presumably in the movie's "present day", they're still wearing nothing but helmets, capes, loincloths, and airbrushing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 3345