Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694982 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile

Pippin's the one who actually slew him in the book, iirc.
Merry stabbed him in the back of the knee, then Eoywen (be damned if I can remember how to spell it) killed him.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Well I can't even get the hobbit that stabbed him right, so I'll trust you there xD
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

Nope, it was Merry and Èowyn. They tag-teamed him. And Èowyn dealt the final blow against both the mount and the Witch-King, if my memory and Wikipedia serve me right.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I don't see how movies can be judged by such claims, is Lord of the Rings also misogynist and xenophobic? Should we ban and protest against all movies that portray problems relevant in modern society?
Please, enlighten me. How is demonising middle-easterners "portraying problems relevant in modern society"?

300 was an action movie with a faint historical theme about 300 men with huge swelling chests killing huge droves of enemies in fantastical environments, people put way too much time into analyzing movies about details that are merely background.
People not thinking enough is a far bigger problem than over analysing the media we're fed and the opinions within it.

Nope, it was Merry and Èowyn. They tag-teamed him. And Èowyn dealt the final blow against both the mount and the Witch-King, if my memory and Wikipedia serve me right.
Except in the original Swedish translation, where the translator disapproved of women doing such things (or, well, anything really) and changed it to suit his own views.
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

300 was an action movie with a faint historical theme about 300 men with huge swelling chests killing huge droves of enemies in fantastical environments, people put way too much time into analyzing movies about details that are merely background.

Eh, I dunno. I get where you're coming from; at a certain point, people aren't analyzing the movie anymore and are analyzing meaning that they're projecting onto it. I mean, there are people who insist that Lord of the Rings is a metaphor for either of the World Wars, even though Tolkien explicitly denied that this was the case and pointed out how he would have written it differently if it were. On the other hand, the fact that it's easy to take an analysis too far doesn't mean that no analysis of any kind is reasonable, and it's certainly reasonable to look at a movie as a product of a culture you're analyzing (and as something that influences that culture). At that point you're really talking about cultural attitudes toward certain ideas, and the movie just happens to be the concrete example you're referring to. Going back to the example I just brought up, it'd be fine to talk about the influence of the Wars on Tolkien's writing (which he acknowledged existed), as long as you kept in mind that connections don't imply equivalence.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except in the original Swedish translation, where the translator disapproved of women doing such things (or, well, anything really) and changed it to suit his own views.

Woah, never heard of this one before. At least Swedish Wikipedia's got it correctly, so I guess the proper version is what stayed.

Finnish translators somehow managed to muddle up one of the things in Nineteen Eighty-Four. I'm almost too embarrassed to say it...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

You don't seem like you want to say anything specific, but it would very much help!
It was a pretty freakin' misogynist and xenophobic movie.

I don't see how movies can be judged by such claims, is Lord of the Rings also misogynist and xenophobic? Should we ban and protest against all movies that portray problems relevant in modern society?

It wasn't just the ridiculous depictions of Xerxes and the Persians as subhuman brown-skinned freaks led by a giant androgyne . Remember that the other Greek tribes (especially the Athenians) were derided with jokes that they were gay (which is doubly egregious given that the Spartans have far more homosexuality ascribed to them in contemporary texts than the Athenians). The traitor Ephialtes was a cripple, mocked by Leonidas. In the end, the core values of the film (and graphic novel) are that the heroes are all big, manly men with giant pecs who disdain everyone and everything but themselves, and diplomacy is for pussies.

There's also the context that the creator himself offered in radio interviews that this was representative of the Huntington-esque Clash of Civilizations with the "civilized" world (represented by big, burly, manly Spartans) against the "uncivilized" Middle East (repesented by the otherwordly, subhuman Persians). Just before 300's premiere, Frank Miller stated the following on a radio interview with NPR (I remember actually listening to it at the time):
"For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who we're up against, and the sixth century barbarism that they actually represent. These people saw people's heads off. They enslave women, they genitally mutilate their daughters, they do not behave by any cultural norms that are sensible to us. I'm speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture, and I'm living in a city where three thousand of my neighbors were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built."

So yeah. I think it's a fair cop to analyze what Miller is trying to say in 300.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Now to be fair, Pippin did kill a huge troll chief that was about to slay Aragorn.

My point: Hobbits are awesome.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess that was Tolkien's point as well. Small, hardly noticeable, hard notable. Simple folk but great heroes in their way.

The PJ rendition of Frodo is mainly annoying, though. I know the Ring's a terrible burden, but still, that whiny voice is taking it a bit too far if you ask me... Your Mileage May Vary.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Woah, never heard of this one before. At least Swedish Wikipedia's got it correctly, so I guess the proper version is what stayed.

Finnish translators somehow managed to muddle up one of the things in Nineteen Eighty-Four. I'm almost too embarrassed to say it...
I have no idea if it were ever changed, but I'm pretty sure there's ever only been two translations. Perhaps Tolkien/his publisher forced mr Misogynist (how is that not a great supervillain name?) to redo that part, though. I can't remember how it went when I read it as a kid.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Yes. Very much so. ;)
Love, scriver~

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't seem like you want to say anything specific, but it would very much help!
It was a pretty freakin' misogynist and xenophobic movie.

It wasn't just the ridiculous depictions of Xerxes and the Persians as subhuman brown-skinned freaks led by a giant androgyne . Remember that the other Greek tribes (especially the Athenians) were derided with jokes that they were gay (which is doubly egregious given that the Spartans have far more homosexuality ascribed to them in contemporary texts than the Athenians). The traitor Ephialtes was a cripple, mocked by Leonidas. In the end, the core values of the film (and graphic novel) are that the heroes are all big, manly men with giant pecs who disdain everyone and everything but themselves, and diplomacy is for pussies.

There's also the context that the creator himself offered in radio interviews that this was representative of the Huntington-esque Clash of Civilizations with the "civilized" world (represented by big, burly, manly Spartans) against the "uncivilized" Middle East (repesented by the otherwordly, subhuman Persians). Just before 300's premiere, Frank Miller stated the following on a radio interview with NPR (I remember actually listening to it at the time):
"For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who we're up against, and the sixth century barbarism that they actually represent. These people saw people's heads off. They enslave women, they genitally mutilate their daughters, they do not behave by any cultural norms that are sensible to us. I'm speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture, and I'm living in a city where three thousand of my neighbors were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built."

So yeah. I think it's a fair cop to analyze what Miller is trying to say in 300.

Okay, I definitely see what you're saying now.

The thing is, 300 is self-aware enough as it is that I would have given it a pass on all that, since it seemed facetious and intentionally ahistorical (sort of like an intentionally very subjective folk story) and come on, who would possibly take any of that seriously? Whoops, seems like Frank Miller does!

Basically, I assumed that the movie was supposed to be intentionally ridiculous in terms of theme and content, as representing a sort of Spartan propaganda folk tale that you aren't really supposed to see as representing anything but what those people saw as the truth regardless of how hypocritical or ridiculous they were. The fact that Frank Miller was actually trying to make a point about the real world using that is pretty telling.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:26:45 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was what I meant.

Sorry, I was posting at 3 AM my time and by that point lucidity was kind of out the proverbial window.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Oh Jegus, wow. Given that, I'm not sure the thing I posted earlier is really even relevant, although I suppose it depends somewhat on the thoughts on the people who worked on the film.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Again, I think the problem here is that even if Frank Miller was being a xenophobic prick about it, it's easy enough to interpret the xenophobic prick nature of the movie as being a self-aware and ironic thing that you might notice it, but see it as intentionally laughable or quaint. So in an odd way, I guess he shot himself in the foot there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:46:48 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Usually, self-aware movies show some sort of sign of self-awareness, or give a distinct signal of an unreliable narrator.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 3345