Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695035 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Better than having your mom try to get you to watch dumb R-rated movies like American Pie but not letting you watch 300... Why would I want to see dumb nudity when I could see a cool action movie and possibly get an urge to research it?

Possibly because that movie tells a lot of lies about a lot of people that can be difficult to decode for the inexperienced.

You do realize that was intentional, right? Pretty much the entire movie is a played-up folk-tale version of events from a very unreliable narrator.

I would certainly hope that people don't come out of that movie trusting it for historical accuracy after seeing a ten-foot-tall god-like Xerxes and weird blade-hands Persian mutants.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

Better than having your mom try to get you to watch dumb R-rated movies like American Pie but not letting you watch 300... Why would I want to see dumb nudity when I could see a cool action movie and possibly get an urge to research it?

Possibly because that movie tells a lot of lies about a lot of people that can be difficult to decode for the inexperienced.

You do realize that was intentional, right? Pretty much the entire movie is a played-up folk-tale version of events from a very unreliable narrator.

I would certainly hope that people don't come out of that movie trusting it for historical accuracy after seeing a ten-foot-tall god-like Xerxes and weird blade-hands Persian mutants.
Dude, there's always going to be those people.

Unless we exterminate them now.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe, but I don't think that's the fault of the movie, considering how obviously fictionalized it was, even in-universe.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

Connecting via ethernet should be as easy as connecting via wifi~

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Connecting via ethernet should be as easy as connecting via wifi~
It's never this easy.

Why is it never this easy?!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't mean in terms of the legend of the Spartans, when speaking in an entirely concrete manner.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm kind of curious what you meant, then.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mostly in terms of which symbols and concepts are used to heroicize, and which are used to condemn.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't seem like you want to say anything specific, but it would very much help!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I want to look smart too!  :D

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Broken laptop and rice cooker due to roommate father being a dick, dumped the moment I got to school, FA still in hell and need to show up to work on my day off. BEST DAY EVER ::)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

You don't seem like you want to say anything specific, but it would very much help!
It was a pretty freakin' misogynist and xenophobic movie. And so bass-ackwards on the history part. It (and some radio interviews he did) was also the beacon that made me finally realize that despite being an excellent artist and writer, Frank Miller is pretty much a douche that flipped out after 9/11. Maybe he and Dennis Miller are distant relations, because they both went off the deep end after 2001.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

It was a pretty freakin' misogynist and xenophobic movie.

I don't see how movies can be judged by such claims, is Lord of the Rings also misogynist and xenophobic? Should we ban and protest against all movies that portray problems relevant in modern society?

300 was an action movie with a faint historical theme about 300 men with huge swelling chests killing huge droves of enemies in fantastical environments, people put way too much time into analyzing movies about details that are merely background.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

It was a pretty freakin' misogynist and xenophobic movie.

I don't see how movies can be judged by such claims, is Lord of the Rings also misogynist and xenophobic? Should we ban and protest against all movies that portray problems relevant in modern society?

I actually discussed this with a friend. Mainly, whether the main characters' attitudes towards orcs are justified. They seem to consider orcs to be worthless, despite orcs clearly being fairly intelligent. Later I learned that the redeemability of orcs has been a recurring theme in Middle Earth discussions...

About misogyny, can't remember well enough to analyze the female characters. Tolkien does have that one female character slay one of the Big Bads, though, contrary to everyone's expectations.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Pippin's the one who actually slew him in the book, iirc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 3345