Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691709 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a little bit of fat on my thighs and stomach.  Not enough that anyone but my mother or other hard-core pro-skinny people would bother picking at it, but enough to be ashamed of ::)

Meh.  It's all right, I guess.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

Thanks Vector, you reminded me of something...

I was watching Biggest Loser (American version). I don't do that a lot, but I was bored silly. One of the guys, someone who had already lost a lot of weight, climbed on the scale and had lost 5 pounds. 5 pounds in one week! Congra...

wait.

He's not happy. He looks a bit down. His team looks at him disappointedly. "It's too little", their expressions read.

Seriously, losing five pounds in a week is *not* too little, especially if you're not morbidly obese and this man wasn't. I think that's already more than the doctors would allow one to lose during a week. I don't know whether the guy was eliminated or not, but seriously... losing five pounds in a week shouldn't be a disappointment! Anyone watching that show may get confused about the proportions of their own weight loss - especially since the Biggest Losers exercise intensively while most of the people at home would still have to manage work and other daily routines.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just please don't harm your health, just to shut up your mother  :-\
It's not worth it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

five pounds
Hmm, that isn't metric...
*Wolfram alpha*
2.3kg? That is pretty good. Why would you not be happy with that?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Just please don't harm your health, just to shut up your mother  :-\
It's not worth it.
Nor will they ever shut up anyway. Best way to make the nagging go away is to ignore it until they give it up as a lost cause or something or that sort. After all, if they don't see results from their nagging, they probably won't bother expending the energy to nag in the future. Even if you do comply, simply not letting them know you are complying could be enough for them to realize they can't control your life.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

five pounds
Hmm, that isn't metric...
*Wolfram alpha*
2.3kg? That is pretty good. Why would you not be happy with that?

I'm usually metric, but the show is imperial...

And why not be happy? I think the reason in this case was competition - someone losed more (or a bigger proportion) so I think the guy fell "below the yellow line", risking being eliminated. It still sucks, though. Even Trump doesn't fire anyone if even the worst player did a good job. And 5 pounds in one week, that's a good job.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kay, I would not be surprised if that was dishonestly edited together footage. Sometimes they cut out a bit to make it seem that they are emotionally responding to something that's relevant to the show, when in fact the context of those responses might have been changed (they shoot a lot more footage than the 45 minutes the show runs).

They might have cut out one of the team-mates or someone saying "that puts you below the yellow line" (competitive pressure) and made it look like they're disappointed in the weight-loss itself. They've done that sort of dishonest editing often enough on those types of show. I wouldn't put anything past these people.

I agree that it can be damaging to viewer's own expectation, but this is a product they are selling, not reality.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:45:28 am by Reelyanoob »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

this is a product they are selling, not reality.
This.

Anyway, I'm raging because my innersoles don't do shit. Yet another rip off.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

I have a little bit of fat on my thighs and stomach.  Not enough that anyone but my mother or other hard-core pro-skinny people would bother picking at it, but enough to be ashamed of ::)

Meh.  It's all right, I guess.
Notsure how this would shame you, considering that you still fall below average in build. Really though, having no fat on your body at all can be a bit making your body a bit useless for actually doing physical tasks, as fat is what your body would be using for energy outside of digestion. Meaning that i'd assume you can't quite work well at all physically in preforming tasks if you miss out on some nutrition on a day basis.
Really though, you seem to be changing a bit recently Vector... Either that or my mind has just internalized that mental behavior as a conflict to what my mind expected you were, and I just noticed it recently. Have you noticed any change in such a way?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kay, I would not be surprised if that was dishonestly edited together footage. -snip-

Yeah, I noticed their penchant for "clever" dramatization immediately upon switching on. But this case was clear - the guy did say that he wasn't happy with the five pounds. The team comments could've been refactored in the situation, though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The difference is that I'm actually talking about it now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Australian version Biggest Loser, amazingly was much nastier than the American version. While with my girlfriend I got to see both on TV. In the Aussie version they don't stop at editing, they have special "games" when the winner had to pick a "stone".

Each stone had a different nasty thing you had to inflict on another team mate of your choice. Presto - instant drama and enemies.

For the first few seasons they brought over the American trainers as guests. They were appalled at some of the stuff in the Aussie version. Basically the Aussie producers were trying to flame-bait the contestants to try and get them to hate on each other. They also produced the Australian version of Big Brother and did similar things on that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:01:43 am by Reelyanoob »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

No more of an attempt to find out if it is possible to carry on a conversation without using punctuation in any way I find it is harder to understand but can still be discerned If people who have trouble reading it could tell me that would be appreciated I dont particularly want to confuse or annoy people so if you are annoyed or confused in any way by it please tell me
You might want to consider what impression of yourself this gives other people. On the internet, generally speaking, people who make posts or comments without punctuation don't come across to other as intelligent in any sort of conventional sense. Because of this, people who don't know you might be inclined skip over your post after glancing at because they'll think, "this guy can't even use punctuation; he probably just said something stupid that isn't even worth my time reading."
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Would not be surprised if they had similar things in the US version.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you tried having somebody talk to your mother about those issues?
What's your fathers take on that? Does he even know?
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 3345