Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695902 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I don't know if Akylon and others already raeg'd on this, but here it is again. (Say what you will about Gamespy, Objection! is fucking awesome.)

It's like industry heads craft copyright legislation on the assumption that it's unpassable in the form they want it. Maybe that's good negotiating. On the other hand if they're "friends" in the Senate manage to ride it through past the 4 people that are paying attention, well, goodbye Internet, hello Corpanet. The restrictions are mind-boggling, as are the implications. More than 10 views of copyrighted material in 180 days, and if the host site (not even you) makes at least $2,500 in profit by whatever means? You could get sued if you upload a cellphone video of a party to a social networking site, because a copyrighted song is playing in the background and the site happened to sell ads.

There's like, no chance of this passing the legislature I think, and even less chance of surviving only one of a dozen free speech challenges. Still, the balls on these guys. Raeg.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Fair Use covers commentary, so that would override the bill even if it did pass. I think. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it would work out like that.

That said, I already sent my representative a plea to vote against S.978 when it comes up, so hopefully I at least made him think about it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Yep, thats been called stupid/talked about in a variety of places by now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My bad. Then have this instead.

I like that the part no one talks about is the Christian belief in Armageddon. Because that's really the briefing we want to give our missile control operators when we talk to them about the ethics of nuclear weapons. The scariest part? That program is only 20 years old.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

I like that the part no one talks about is the Christian belief in Armageddon. Because that's really the briefing we want to give our missile control operators when we talk to them about the ethics of nuclear weapons. The scariest part? That program is only 20 years old.

It gets way scarier than that.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile

It gets way scarier than that.

Okay. Don't get me wrong, I think that what appears is that they're just cherry picking the bible for reasons to go to war, but how is the scariest part that the program is only 20 years old? Surely it would be scarier if it was older than that?

I do have to admit, though, I'd have gone with Aquinas' just war theory.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

The scarier part is that for most of that period, the activation code for every nuclear weapon in the USAF was set to 0 because they didn't trust the civilian government to be willing to pull the trigger when the time came.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay. Don't get me wrong, I think that what appears is that they're just cherry picking the bible for reasons to go to war, but how is the scariest part that the program is only 20 years old? Surely it would be scarier if it was older than that?

As a relic of the Cold War thinking, I would accept that some department of the Air Force, that hasn't seen the light of day since the 50s, would still be doing this.

But it means that sometime in the 90s, someone in the military thought we needed more religious justifications for shooting our missiles. I find that concept far more terrifying. When the realistic threat of nuclear obliteration is enough to cool people's trigger fingers...well....just tell someone that Jesus would approve of pulling the trigger. It's basically a reversal of the lessons we learned from the Cold War.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile

As a relic of the Cold War thinking, I would accept that some department of the Air Force, that hasn't seen the light of day since the 50s, would still be doing this.

But it means that sometime in the 90s, someone in the military thought we needed more religious justifications for shooting our missiles. I find that concept far more terrifying. When the realistic threat of nuclear obliteration is enough to cool people's trigger fingers...well....just tell someone that Jesus would approve of pulling the trigger. It's basically a reversal of the lessons we learned from the Cold War.

From what I understand, the article is saying that twenty years ago, the program started as an ethics thing. At this point in time, it is religiously fundamentalist war mongering. Wasn't clear that it was that at the start.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, at this point I don't even understand the strict creationists who think God created everything in 7 days, or why there's any controversy to be taught.  The earth was created by a certain number of physical rules out in the universe, and then a bunch of stuff slowly started emerging.

Why can't we take God = physical laws of the universe, which have been pretty nice to us, and leave it at that?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why can't we take God = physical laws of the universe, which have been pretty nice to us, and leave it at that?

Because the physical laws of the universe don't care about human behavior, we're microscopic compared to them and that's a problem for those who want to control human behavior. No one wants to worship a god who ostensibly doesn't care about us. The Christian belief about our place in creation makes us the center of god's attention, and so God cares deeply about everything we believe and everything we do and say. A study of science shows us the truth is the exact opposite.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

I prefer the God created the beginnings of the universe, then left it at that. Much like someone observing an experiment running it's course.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

You know, at this point I don't even understand the strict creationists who think God created everything in 7 days, or why there's any controversy to be taught.  The earth was created by a certain number of physical rules out in the universe, and then a bunch of stuff slowly started emerging.

Because that isn't what they think, or how they think about it. These fundamentalists literally think that 6000 years ago, their god, who to them is a real person who knows everything and can do anything, made Earth and the rest of the universe out of nothing in a week. They want the laws of whatever country they live in to reflect everything The Bible says, literally. That is their agenda, and they will not accept anything less.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meh!

I am so confused.  See, I actually could see myself going "Oh, Randomness, please don't fuck me over too hard this time" and having that be The Thing.  But maybe other people wouldn't like that.

I sort of thought it was all about gratitude for having an existence to explore in the first place, and how cool it is to have time and space and things like that.  But ... I guess I'll just have to enjoy my "religion" by myself >_> <_<

I prefer the God created the beginnings of the universe, then left it at that. Much like someone observing an experiment running it's course.

EXACTLY

Because that isn't what they think, or how they think about it. These fundamentalists literally think that 6000 years ago, their god, who to them is a real person, made Earth and the rest of the universe out of nothing in a week. They want the laws of whatever country they live in to reflect everything The Bible says, literally. That is their agenda, and they will not accept anything less.

But... but...

St. Augustine -> Fundamental writing of the Catholic Church -> Still referenced today by the Pope when settling matters of doctrine -> Totally kills all of that dead with the resounding hammer of a long piece of paper pinned to a sanctified door

. . . BUT COME ON YOU GUYS
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

People have diferent things they can accept. Some people can accept the idea of a God and the rules of physics working as one and others cant. It does seem that the unified thinking is becoming more popular nowadays. So long as nobody is forced to accept another persons belief system everything is fine.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 3345