Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3707578 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #3555 on: May 12, 2011, 07:16:22 pm »

Akura, get some irony spite in. There is a lot of money to be made as a televangelist, and you could lead their sheep astray for fun and profit.

I seriously thought about doing that as a teenager. My rationale: I want(ed to, at the time) to write fiction for a living. Televangelists make a lot of money. If, from my point of view, I am effectively doing nothing but lying outright to the populace, is there really a difference?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: May 12, 2011, 07:20:53 pm »

I am reminded of Genesis' Jesus He Knows Me. Televangelism isn't something that happens too often in the UK, so apart from jokes in comic strips, this is about the extent of my knowledge.

I can sing along to this song, though, so I might make a good Televangelist.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: May 12, 2011, 07:32:08 pm »

Akura, get some irony spite in. There is a lot of money to be made as a televangelist, and you could lead their sheep astray for fun and profit.

I seriously thought about doing that as a teenager. My rationale: I want(ed to, at the time) to write fiction for a living. Televangelists make a lot of money. If, from my point of view, I am effectively doing nothing but lying outright to the populace, is there really a difference?

I think televangelists in general make more for less work.....
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: May 12, 2011, 07:35:43 pm »

Had to listen to a sermon from my boss about how Seperation of Church and State isn't about keeping the Church out of government, but in fact to keep the government out of the Church, and that in fact, Church should shove itself into each and every aspect of life, politics, and law, and that America was founded solely for this reason.

...Uh, no. America was "founded" by people persecuted for religious beliefs(among other reasons), true, but it wasn't just Christians, or rather one sect of Christians(specifically, your sect), but numerous persecuted Christian sects, Jews, and possibly a few Muslims in there. In fact, Seperation of Church and State is meant so that one particular belief isn't put above the rest, which would, at the very least, piss off everyone else(note, pissing off the majority of people in a democracy is a bad idea).
And my boss came out and said his preaching style is specifically to piss people off about it.

Oh, and when we were handing out food, there was a sermon by another guy(the same guy I complained about child indoctrination from), who said "If God tells you to do something, do it, or your family will suffer". I'm sorry, did you just threaten my family? Okay, my family for the most part deserves whatever suffering coming to them, but I still don't appreciate the threatening tone.

Fun Fact: Thomas Jefferson actual edited a redacted version of the Holy Gospels with all of the miracles removed, including the resurrection.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: May 12, 2011, 08:11:36 pm »

Jefferson and Washington both were highly impressed by Islam as a religion. Some country or another supported the American Revolution, and in trying to thank them, Washington studied Muslim culture to see what would be a thing to thank them with. He came away enamored with the Koran and Islam, and would not, in fact, be supportive of the wars in the Middle East, contrary to some patriotism generators.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: May 12, 2011, 08:30:26 pm »

Most of the founding fathers were deists, which was basically atheism before Darwin et al made atheism something men of science would consider.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: May 13, 2011, 04:44:40 am »

Jefferson and Washington both were highly impressed by Islam as a religion. Some country or another supported the American Revolution, and in trying to thank them, Washington studied Muslim culture to see what would be a thing to thank them with. He came away enamored with the Koran and Islam, and would not, in fact, be supportive of the wars in the Middle East, contrary to some patriotism generators.
I don't think he would base his opinion on warring with any nation on what he thought of it's state religion ;)

Also, remember that the religion and culture he fwll in love with would have been quite different from today's Islam. The strong conservatism and pro-religious authoritarianism sentiment is a thing of the last 50 (80 or so if you count the philosophers and theologians who started the "school of thought") years. Before that, what we now consider the major strongholds of conservative Islam (Saudi-Arabia, Iran, etc) were practically just as secular as any European country. And if we go further back, we get to the point were islamic nations were shining beacons of tolerance, freedom and civilisation in comparison to the rest of the world. Or at least Europe.

But yeah, it's not really anything of that anymore. The "muslim culture" he liked has been warped into exactly the kind of conservative authoritarian bullshit he and the rest of the thinkers od his time despised.
Love, scriver~

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: May 13, 2011, 07:54:31 am »

Morocco was the first country to recognize the U.S.A. as a sovereign state. Just throwing that out there.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: May 13, 2011, 05:06:19 pm »

Goddamn coworkers. The operations manager calls the other guy in to mop the front building over the PA system. He promptly says "Fuck that" and starts playing ball with another guy. So, I, in my infinite capacity for niceness, decide to do it just to get it done.
Then, she(the ops manager) asks him to mop the warehouse, and specifically tells me not to(in a nice tone). It never got mopped. And we have a few weekend things going on, including an event with a State Senator in the warehouse.

The "muslim culture" he liked has been warped into exactly the kind of conservative authoritarian bullshit he and the rest of the thinkers od his time despised.
That's happened before, namely when the bulk of European nations decided to invade the entire Muslim world when the Pope received a message about Muslims in Jerusalem. Fun fact: That whole incident had actually been solved through diplomacy before the Crusaders even arrived, but the Crusaders, not wanting to have wasted their time, decided to burn, loot, and pillage anyway.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: May 13, 2011, 11:51:12 pm »

We've brought in techies from Qwest, our security company, and the phone company, and NONE of them can figure out why. our. internet. keeps. DISCONNECTING.  All we wanted was faster internet.  Instead we get faster internet that DCs as much as once a minute to once an hour at the most.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: May 14, 2011, 07:38:19 am »

We've brought in techies from Qwest, our security company, and the phone company, and NONE of them can figure out why. our. internet. keeps. DISCONNECTING.  All we wanted was faster internet.  Instead we get faster internet that DCs as much as once a minute to once an hour at the most.

Used to have that problem at my dads when the ISP tried to increase the internet speed on our line. Turns out the line just could not handle the speed, so they had to put the speed back down to where I could not watch low quality youtube films when my brother was playing online games. Though if this is the case, the phone company should have been able to figure it out easily.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: May 14, 2011, 09:16:51 am »

Huh, looks like about a month ago, Fileplanet stopped using their proprietary download manager, the reason being "it would make things easier for everyone".

This infuriates me, since Fileplanet's download manager was fairly good, and for large files I'd have to use the godawful Free Download Manager(unless someone knows a better and free download manager).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: May 14, 2011, 07:07:17 pm »

Aaand Malware just murdered the user I have all my stuff on.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: May 15, 2011, 05:10:45 am »

Aaand Malware just murdered the user I have all my stuff on.
Damn...

I hate Malware. It makes me RAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGEEEEE.

Anyway, do you know the source of the Malware?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: May 15, 2011, 12:28:58 pm »

Urge to kill has reached an absolute maximum right now.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 3345