Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3707539 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #3540 on: May 11, 2011, 07:04:52 pm »

*sigh*

Indiana Totally Defunds Planned Parenthood

HERP DERP MY STATE IS BEST STATE

I want to kill someone now.

Find a pregnant woman in Indiana that wants an abortion.  Solve two problems at once!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: May 11, 2011, 07:28:19 pm »

Dang, yo.

I mean seriously, not cool.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:24 pm »

One in six hospitals are Catholic and do not permit abortion for any reason whatsoever
Reading the comments on that, someone had this pearl of wisdom to say:
I just simply straight up do not understand the prohibition on treatment of a woman with an ectopic pregnancy. If your opposition to abortion is on the basis that in doing prevents the death of a foetus, opposition to life-saving medical assistance in the case of an ectopic pregnancy makes no sense whatsoever - the foetus dies anyway, and was never viable in the first place, and quite likely the woman too, which puts paid to any future foetuses as well.

I suppose it just makes it crystal clear that actually it's not about saving a foetus at all, but about winning a culture war at the expense of women's lives. That's so evil I still can't get my mind around it.
I never really understood why they would forbid abortion that would save the mother's life. At that point, it's not exactly an abortion anymore, it's saving someone's life. Or is it that a woman whose body rejects the fetus(which there are a number of possible causes for) somehow an abombination that has do die in a way I would be very horrible?(If yes, then I would be even more pissed about this than I already am)

It kinda sickens me that I work(for no pay) for a religious organization. While they haven't touched on this topic in their long-winded sermons to the people trying to get food, I might just walk off the job if they do(they've made other inflammatory remarks, though). This morning, I had to turn off the radio because of the crap(it was a Christian talk show) the guy was spouting.

I'm a bit surprised there aren't any large public protests about this, or any of the other rights-trampling that's been going on. At this point, I probably should have been expecting armed rebellion.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: May 11, 2011, 08:50:50 pm »

Yeah, an armed rebellion'd be nice and all, but I've got TV shows to keep up with. [/cynicism]
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: May 11, 2011, 08:53:56 pm »

The combat challenges in Batman are impossible.  The key is combos, every hit in a combo increases your score multiplier, but you have like 0 seconds to make another hit before your combo disappears.  If everybody nearby is on the ground, tough shit, there goes your multiplier.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: May 11, 2011, 09:31:06 pm »

I'm a bit surprised there aren't any large public protests about this, or any of the other rights-trampling that's been going on. At this point, I probably should have been expecting armed rebellion.

Oh, well... some of the women there are getting hysterectomies so that they can't get pregnant.

Because that's what it takes to be in control of your reproductive functions in this day and age =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: May 11, 2011, 10:42:11 pm »

Hysterectomies?! Why? That's complete overkill, even for self-sterilization!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:28 pm »

Or is it that a woman whose body rejects the fetus(which there are a number of possible causes for) somehow an abombination that has do die in a way I would be very horrible?(If yes, then I would be even more pissed about this than I already am)

Isn't there a bill being discussed in Georgia that is trying to criminalize miscarriages?  Did some quick searching without following any links (don't have time to do serious research atm), and at a glance it looks like the proposed law requires investigating all cases of miscarriage and punishment (I see the words death penalty thrown around a lot here, but that's really hard to believe) if it can't be proven that it was a natural occurence.

So yeah.  You pretty much nailed it there.

Edit:

There's a nice place for ALL lying, cheating, bastard polititions...

Roger Waters is way ahead of you.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:10:44 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:16 pm »

Hysterectomies?! Why? That's complete overkill, even for self-sterilization!

Because having your tubes tied is not fail-safe, and menstruation is damned annoying.

I think that was what it was, anyway.  It might just be tube-tying... it's been serious months since I read and didn't pay much attention to that thread.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3549 on: May 12, 2011, 04:43:03 am »

Just spent 2 hours working on something that I now have to redo entirely because the boss failed to tell me what he actually wanted.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: May 12, 2011, 06:40:29 am »

edit: Thought I was in the sad thread.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:42:08 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: May 12, 2011, 04:52:40 pm »

Had to listen to a sermon from my boss about how Seperation of Church and State isn't about keeping the Church out of government, but in fact to keep the government out of the Church, and that in fact, Church should shove itself into each and every aspect of life, politics, and law, and that America was founded solely for this reason.

...Uh, no. America was "founded" by people persecuted for religious beliefs(among other reasons), true, but it wasn't just Christians, or rather one sect of Christians(specifically, your sect), but numerous persecuted Christian sects, Jews, and possibly a few Muslims in there. In fact, Seperation of Church and State is meant so that one particular belief isn't put above the rest, which would, at the very least, piss off everyone else(note, pissing off the majority of people in a democracy is a bad idea).
And my boss came out and said his preaching style is specifically to piss people off about it.

Oh, and when we were handing out food, there was a sermon by another guy(the same guy I complained about child indoctrination from), who said "If God tells you to do something, do it, or your family will suffer". I'm sorry, did you just threaten my family? Okay, my family for the most part deserves whatever suffering coming to them, but I still don't appreciate the threatening tone.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: May 12, 2011, 05:01:45 pm »

I couldn't work for those people.  I get enough of a conscience itch just applying free trade agreements to imports at my job.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: May 12, 2011, 05:08:43 pm »

Akura, get some irony spite in. There is a lot of money to be made as a televangelist, and you could lead their sheep astray for fun and profit.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: May 12, 2011, 05:12:56 pm »

Akura, get some irony spite in. There is a lot of money to be made as a televangelist, and you could lead their sheep astray for fun and profit.
This seems relevant: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4003
He makes a pretty compelling argument that woo of all varieties should ideally be sold by those who don't believe in it, in order to keep those who do from doing something really stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 3345