Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705341 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #3210 on: April 29, 2011, 12:30:11 am »

You can get 3<pi<4 with a slip of paper and a can of beans.

It's the funnest way to teach little kids about pi, and then have a snack afterwards.

Oh... huh.  Okay.  I'd usually do that with a dodecagon, but all right >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: April 29, 2011, 01:36:52 am »

Yeah.  Same when someone says 22/7 is pi, rather than an approximation for pi, or when someone says 1 + 1 = 1 in Z2, or anything like that.  It drives me completely bonkers.
Here's what drives me bonkers. The Calc I kids in the other Calculus class at my high school learned a new trick that they've been trying to show to every living being on the planet.

You see, you start out with a circle with a diameter of 1, boxed in by a square. The square thus has a perimeter of 4. If you take the corners in, the diameter is still 4. If you repeat that fractally and infinitely, eventually the polygon's shape will conform almost exactly to the circumference of the circle. The circumference of the circle is equal to pi, and thus pi is equal to 4, as the outer polygon still has a perimeter of 4.
I think this is what was called "squaring the circle" by my Calc professor. (He and another student would sometimes go off on massive tangents about higher-level mathematics, so I really had no clue what they were talking about most of the time.)

It doesn't work because there will always be spaces between the lines that define the corners-folded-in square and the circle - and you can't use calculus to define the square-diameter approaching that of the circle because there is no determined lower bound for the limit, i.e. it's not being approached from both sides, only one, and, iirc, limits and derivatives only work when it's being approached from both sides.

Not to mention it wreaks hell with the logic behind the area equation. After all, supposedly area=pi*r^2 for circles, and s^2 for squares.
So with our 1-diameter circle and defining pi as 4, we have:
area of circle = 4*.5*.5=1
and
area of square = 1^2=1.
However, it is quite obvious that the circle and the square don't have the same area, and also that the square's area isn't constant and thus can't be used to determine a constant that would be used for computations in both area and perimeter of objects without proper accomodations, which would probably involve a hell of a lot more calculus than I'm willing to do.

And this simple response turned into one rather long and probably underinformed math rant. Wow, I haven't done THAT since I convinced the guy that being charged $5.00 a month for a service for an entire year doesn't mean you get stiffed because of February's lack of day length.

So I guess this entire post is just a more long-and-drawn-out version of what everyone else is saying. >.<
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: April 29, 2011, 01:40:41 am »

Squaring the circle is a classical problem in which one attempts to construct a square with area equal to that of a given circle.  It has nothing to do with the above fake proof.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: April 29, 2011, 03:59:37 am »

Ugh.. To early for math. You're making my head hurt!
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: April 29, 2011, 04:04:22 am »

Bah, what are you talking about?  It's NEVER too early for math :D

Also, it is 2 AM here and I am on a serious math-high <3 <3

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: April 29, 2011, 04:20:53 am »

It's always to early for math.. Except between 22-02 when it's too late ;).
I suck a math, you see. Can't even rememher how to write up multiplication and division on paper any more, just whatever individual problems/calculations/whatever they're called in English (stuff like 5*5 and such). It's very aggravating, not being able to do basic shit I should know.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: April 29, 2011, 04:23:21 am »

Oh, man... yeah, I can see that that would be hard.  I do have issues with forgetting things (line integrals, I am looking straight at you), but I'm lucky enough to be able to pick it back up pretty quickly right now.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: April 29, 2011, 04:31:32 am »

Worst thing is, I know I'm going to have to take some basic-math-for-grown-ups class sooner or later, as it is rather important, but I'm too damn intellectually proud to be able to get myself to sign up. The only other option I can see is starting to hang around teacher schools so I can befriend and use an unsuspecting math teacher. I don't know which is worse.

If you would excuse me, I think I need to go and pity myself in the sad thread for some time now.
Love, scriver~

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: April 29, 2011, 04:33:55 am »

I like some math, but dislike others.
Statistics are my favourite.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: April 29, 2011, 04:39:41 am »

I'm pretty much allergic to math, man.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: April 29, 2011, 04:51:33 am »

I like some math, but dislike others.
Statistics are my favourite.

We are polar opposites =/

But, I actually managed to finish my homework!  I think it was all quite easy this time around.  It seems that my fundamental understanding of numerical relationships has greatly improved since the beginning of this semester <3

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: April 29, 2011, 05:56:21 am »

X-Com UFO Defense
Base defense mission
1 alien left

CANNOT
FIND
HIM
ANYWHERE
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: April 29, 2011, 07:43:17 am »

X-Com UFO Defense
Base defense mission
1 alien left

CANNOT
FIND
HIM
ANYWHERE

They must have infiltrated your group and are wearing someone's skin! Quick, have everyone pull the pins on their grenades, and start shooting everyone at random. You'll find that bastard soon enough!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: April 29, 2011, 09:32:25 am »

I'm pretty much allergic to math, man.
Same here, just can't stand the stuff.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: April 29, 2011, 09:35:56 am »

Squaring the circle is a classical problem in which one attempts to construct a square with area equal to that of a given circle.  It has nothing to do with the above fake proof.
Oh, right. My bad.

Sorry, but that's what happens when I'm up too late.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 3345