Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3704859 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #3150 on: April 27, 2011, 07:29:49 pm »

rageworthy

http://www.infowars.com/miss-america-sexually-molested-by-tsa/

I would rage over this sort of thing, but the effort would be wasted (because, you know, I'm ever so influential).  Besides, I figure we'll eventually reach the threshold where the general public rebels.  As in actual rebellion, not snarky bumper stickers and empty words.  Why get all worked up about one problem when I can wait and let a lot of problems work themselves out all at once?

On April 15, CNN reported that people who complain about naked body scanners and intrusive airport pat-downs will be investigated as terrorists and criminals.

::)

Intimidation/harassment to enforce compliance.  This can only go fun places.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 27, 2011, 07:53:15 pm »

I haven't spent much time in America (about 10 hours or so in total) but one thing I have experienced is the airport security.

...Yeah, not something I want to repeat any time soon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: April 27, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »

Bloodbowl: The game with this elaborate, fun rules system that is completely and totally at the mercy of randomness. Even doing everything right, you can still get fucked, and that 20% of doing something wrong puts you in the grave. No game I play makes me feel so fucking helpless when I'm losing than BB.

Don't play League of Legends

Besides, I figure we'll eventually reach the threshold where the general public rebels.  As in actual rebellion, not snarky bumper stickers and empty words.

After the last few years, I've stopped expecting this to ever happen in America.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: April 27, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »

Waaaaaaagh it's so hot I'm mellltinnngggg aaaahhhhhhhhh

I swear, the heat is killing me.

I've been waking up at 4 in the morning, drenched in sweat and feeling like shit. TAKING BATHS AT 4 IS NOT NORMAL MAN
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: April 27, 2011, 08:04:54 pm »

Fill the bathtub up with cold water and take a dip whenever you get too hot.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:01 pm »

Waaah, I don't have a fucking tub man I have a shower

If only our air conditioning unit wasn't borked to fucking hell...

It sucks that my family's the only one in the condominium complex too poor to get our aircon fixed D: D: D:
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: April 27, 2011, 08:11:15 pm »

I used to live in a house that got hot as FUCK and had a really bad air conditioning unit.

Now, I live in a house that has an AWESOME aircon/heater!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: April 27, 2011, 08:26:57 pm »

I grew up in a house built in the 1880's.  No heating or air conditioning, just a centrally located woodstove... in Indiana, where temperatures range from -20 to 100 over the course of the year.  My bedroom also had a massive hole in the wall next to the bed where I could feel air coming in from outside.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:43 pm »

The sentence, "You know what I meant." No, I didn't. If I did, I would have reacted to that. But I react to what you say because that's what you SAY, and unless you're a politician I credit you with the integrity to say what you mean, goddamn it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: April 27, 2011, 11:57:43 pm »

The stupid reason college tuition in America costs more than any other country: http://nplusonemag.com/bad-education
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: April 28, 2011, 12:14:55 am »

Yeah... higher education is a sore spot with lots of people.  Back when my parents were young adults, employers would actively seek out and recruit college graduates.  My dad only has a masters and he didn't even have to look for work.  They called him.

My generation was raised to believe that was the way it would be.  We were constantly bombarded with this culture that told us college was a requirement to live any sort of decent life, and that doing well in school was the most important thing in the entire world that would allow us to pursue our dreams.

Now two years out of college and almost everyone I know has a degree or is very close.  Nobody gives a shit.  They're near worthless.  They are the equivalent of a high school diploma 20 years ago.  I know a lot of graduate students, and they're only doing ok.  I know a single person whose education has landed him a well-paying job, and he has a PhD and a Masters.  He's also one of the cheapest people I know, and still won't be finished paying off his debt anytime soon.

If there isn't a massive turnaround of this situation in the next 10 years, I might just encourage my kids not to bother with higher education.  I'll help them figure out what they want to do and pursue those skills by other means.  Most of the stuff I learned in college, I could have done on my own anyway.  That just didn't sink in until I was near finished anyway.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:17:29 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: April 28, 2011, 12:28:25 am »

Well, one thing I know about today is that the emphasis is on the student to sell their qualifications after graduation, not companies selling their positions to new graduates. That and the economy has just been downsizing more and more since our parents went to college, I think. There's more competition for fewer positions, which leaves the less-than-best performers, or those that kind of just want to glide into something, at the bottom of the stack.

But I do know my college was packed with job fairs and recruiting stuff. For me, I decided early on I was going to get my degree and find something else, I didn't want to work professionally in my field. That decision is why I am where I am now, with a degree and no real prospects for it.

As one of my teachers told me (I went in for Journalism btw, which is billed as competitive from the outset) about my college education...."You get out of it what you put into it." In my case, I put in what was needed to graduate, and I did it with soul, but that's all I did. And I know many people go to college thinking if they just do the tests, read the books and do the projects, blamo, job will appear. That's not the reality anymore, at all. And I started getting that message THE MINUTE I went into a non-general studies major. It depressed me at the time, and in the end, I think it killed my desire to try to do anything through the college system. But I didn't really try to make the system work for me, and sometimes I regret that.

Then I watch the news and read the newspaper and remember I made the right decision.

So before you run off to blame the businesses or the colleges, remember....the US is full of the children of baby boomers, who can go to college simply because there is money and they're expected to. Many of them have no idea why they're there, but they know they want a job. From the employer's perspective, they need to weed through the chaff to find someone they really want. Because there's plenty of chaff to choose from otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:54:43 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: April 28, 2011, 12:53:59 am »

"You get out of it what you put into it."

While I can't say it isn't true, this can be horribly misleading.

To clarify:  What you do is more important than how hard you do it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: April 28, 2011, 12:56:48 am »

I dunno. I learned a ton of skills I wouldn't otherwise if I didn't decide to edit video, mix audio, run the camera, do graphic design, yadda yadda....That's where I put my energy. Not interviews or job faires or internships. So, in a lot of cases, you'll get exactly out of college what you put into it, as long as you're honest about what you did with your time and energy. I don't know very many journalists that went through 2 to 3 internships and didn't get hired somewhere.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:52 am »

The thing is SalmonGod, even if it is not rare any more, and no longer a guaranty of a great job, it is still needed. I mean, if a college diploma is now a days worth what a high school diploma was worth, that does not mean you can get away with a high school diploma now, because high school diplomas have devalued as well.

Now admittedly, you do not need a college diploma today, much like you did not need a high school diploma back then. You can certainly get a good career without it. But it is hard to do so, and life is much harder without it.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 3345