Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702938 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #2865 on: April 18, 2011, 09:43:14 pm »

Anyways, yeah, if it was in-character (I'm not into yaoi, sorry) I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it.

I just hate how the rabid fangirls shoehorn two otherwise straight characters into having raunchy, ill-described and physically impossible carnal acts.

So, I don't have any problem at all with different sexualities, because to me that just counts under the usual Alternate Universe terms.  I'm just tired of the boring, poorly described crud that ends up giving folks totally different personalities.  Not more nuanced, totally different--and not even in a sensible "well, if I change this guy in this way, it will have this effect on the people around him" sort of way.  It's a "man, this would totally work if I completely destroyed all of these characters and wrote them as ineffectual, boring shells of themselves.

... On the other hand, Light comes off as the sort of person who would be very, very straight to me, so there's always that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:59 pm »

Always annoying is the pervasive syndrome in fanfiction and also sequels to regular fiction where a character seems to be less a character and more a mannequin acting out whatever "hilarious"/"sexy"/violent (or any combination thereof) scene the author thought of when they saw the original without understanding it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: April 18, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »

Always annoying is the pervasive syndrome in fanfiction and also sequels to regular fiction where a character seems to be less a character and more a mannequin acting out whatever "hilarious"/"sexy"/violent (or any combination thereof) scene the author thought of when they saw the original without understanding it.

Yup.

This.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:14 pm »

Also, the fight would cause an explosion of concentrated WTF that would wipe mankind off the face of the earth.

Overwhelming Mathematics + Absurd amounts of body hair = concentrated WTF? I don't think I understand those parameters.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: April 18, 2011, 09:50:11 pm »

... On the other hand, Light comes off as the sort of person who would be very, very straight to me, so there's always that.
Seems like wishful thinking to me Yeah, I totally see what you mean.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: April 18, 2011, 09:50:29 pm »

The sheer memetic force from the blast will kill any sapient being in a 5ly radius, causing a XK-class scenario.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: April 18, 2011, 09:51:03 pm »

This may sound strange, but I would like to, one day, have made a work popular enough to have a fandom that will slash my characters together in OOC situations. It will be the sign to me that I have made it. A personal achievement.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: April 18, 2011, 09:53:43 pm »

The sheer memetic force from the blast will kill any sapient being in a 5ly radius, causing a XK-class scenario.

Remind me not to let Vector pet my chest, as sad as it makes me to say that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2873 on: April 18, 2011, 09:54:12 pm »

It's even more depressing when you see it in original fiction where it the characters exist solely to enact the plot rather than the plot evolving out of their desires. It's especially terrible when the author does this to sacrifice them at the altar of a "message."
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: April 18, 2011, 09:56:55 pm »

This may sound strange, but I would like to, one day, have made a work popular enough to have a fandom that will slash my characters together in OOC situations. It will be the sign to me that I have made it. A personal achievement.

Well, yes.  Me too.  But I will rage, all the same.

Seems like wishful thinking to me

Hurk, no way =/  That's disgusting.  He's like... so far off of my type that it's not even funny.  Remember: first rule of dating Vector is "don't be an asshole."

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: April 18, 2011, 10:03:45 pm »

Youtube refuses to load videos past 10 seconds. >:(
It's also doing that thing where the bar doesn't update.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:40 pm »

Ditto, but only so I can call them out on that BS and troll them and stuff.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: April 19, 2011, 02:24:16 am »

Portal 2 is taking so long to finish.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: April 19, 2011, 11:17:02 am »

This is real off topic but never, have I seen a better avatar than Vector's. Is there anything better than barbeque?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: April 19, 2011, 03:20:57 pm »

Ditto, but only so I can call them out on that BS and troll them and stuff.

You know who should do that? JK Rowling. That would be hilarious.

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 3345