Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705551 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #2535 on: April 15, 2011, 04:24:50 pm »

Funny, I've lived in the midwest for 15 years and I wouldn't say it's that religious by definition, not like the Bible Belt. Maybe it's the circles you guys are exposed to.
Yeah, I was born in NE and lived there until I was 16. The majority of people I met who were religious were non-practicing and I met few zealots indeed. I even went to Catholic school for a year and a good percentage of our teachers were either non-religious or atheists.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: April 15, 2011, 04:28:42 pm »

My brother farted. Right into my face. And don't ask me if it was an accident because he pulled down his pants. Which he hasn't taken off for a week except for pulling stunts like that.

I wish I could amputate hie arse, but full body amptations aren't possible unfortunately.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: April 15, 2011, 04:34:29 pm »

Funny, I've lived in the midwest for 15 years and I wouldn't say it's that religious by definition, not like the Bible Belt. Maybe it's the circles you guys are exposed to.

There's a lot of factors. 

The biggest one is how urban your area is.  Cities and suburbs are a decent mix.  Small towns and rural areas are hardcore fundamentalist.  Most of my childhood was spent in a town that barely qualified for its own post office.  EVERYBODY was devoutly christian.

Internet is the other big one.  I'm sure this is a controversial statement, but I think it's made a huge impact on how strongly younger generations hold on to their religious beliefs.  Major religions sustained themselves on information control.  Children didn't used to have much contact or access to information outside their immediate friends and family.  They could be told anything and be surrounded at all times by people who reinforced those beliefs.  That's just not the case anymore.  Unless drastic measures are taken to shelter a kid, they're going to grow up with the knowledge that their beliefs aren't taken as fact by as many people as their parents and pastors would have them believe.  I'm finding that even in small towns, there is noticeably less hard religious conviction among kids even in small towns compared to 20 years ago, when many kids in my class thought I was a devil worshipper because I played D&D and didn't go to church.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:19 pm »

Yeah, I do live in the State capital, which has a nationally recognized university. Does quite a bit for the variety of thinking in this town. We never really have a reason to go out west to the panhandle. Literally, no reason, not even really for nature hikes. It's totally an egotist thing, but I feel like my city represents the state better than the rest of the state does.

Internet is the other big one.

Meh. I tend to believe your religious attitude up to the point where you're an adult is almost 100% based on your parents. Parents that are really religious don't usually give their kids the option to choose when they're minors. It's only after they legally get the right to have an opinion (or are allowed by their parents to disagree) that people choose to question their faith.

I had a pastor for a grandfather, but my parents were both either non-practicing or just not religious. They were the counter point to my grandfather who made it his dying wish for all his grand kids to convert. Had they been religious, I have little doubt I'd probably be religious now too, or more religious than I am. As it is, I got two very different messages growing up and went with the one that was closest to home (my parents.) They never dissuaded me from religion, but when your parents aren't religious....it's that much less likely you'll be.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:46:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: April 15, 2011, 05:12:48 pm »

Also, her constant "GODDIDIT" aditude for everything is driving me nuts. It's going to the point where she thinks God prevented an annoying "friend" from calling because she prayed for it to happen...

Fair enough that she has her own beliefs but that's just friggin' insane.
Heh, I work for people like that(and I fucking shouldn't be).

That Cracked article was pretty good(I kinda skimmed most of it though). Didn't bother to read the comments though; that's just asking to piss yourself off.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: April 15, 2011, 05:16:58 pm »

I'll just say that while I'm not an atheist, my religious beliefs are a weird conglomeration of a whole bunch of things.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: April 15, 2011, 05:24:44 pm »

Meh. I tend to believe your religious attitude up to the point where you're an adult is almost 100% based on your parents. Parents that are really religious don't usually give their kids the option to choose when they're minors. It's only after they legally get the right to have an opinion (or are allowed by their parents to disagree) that people choose to question their faith.

Kids disagree with their parents all the time, and some of the most aggressive athiests I know are such because they were raised in religious settings and punished harshly for questioning.

But questioning doesn't usually happen unless there is some instigation.  There needs to be some exposure to a conflicting idea that causes curiousity.  The most aggressive zealots I know had no meaningful exposure to ideas which conflicted with their religious beliefs until at least their late teens, and were always taught to believe that questioning is wrong.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: April 15, 2011, 05:29:09 pm »

In Midwest America (my location), nearly everyone is religious and I am not used to otherwise.

Lived all my life in the midwest, mostly Indiana.  My dad and I were the only non-religious people I knew until about age 15.

To relate to thread topic, reflecting on my childhood can easily make me rage.

Wow, same state. Which region, specifically?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: April 15, 2011, 05:33:46 pm »

In Midwest America (my location), nearly everyone is religious and I am not used to otherwise.

Lived all my life in the midwest, mostly Indiana.  My dad and I were the only non-religious people I knew until about age 15.

To relate to thread topic, reflecting on my childhood can easily make me rage.

Wow, same state. Which region, specifically?

Fillmore.  Just outside of Greencastle in Putnam County.  Went to South Putnam Jr/Sr High School.  Grand total of 640 kids grades 7-12, and those were gathered from several surrounding towns as much as half an hour bus ride away.

I've lived in Plainfield the last 10 years.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: April 15, 2011, 06:00:05 pm »

Fillmore.  Just outside of Greencastle in Putnam County.  Went to South Putnam Jr/Sr High School.  Grand total of 640 kids grades 7-12, and those were gathered from several surrounding towns as much as half an hour bus ride away.

I'm in north west Indiana and I've met one atheist, that's it . Live outside a town of about five thousand. Although the number of people who actively practice Christianity is less than I would expect.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:33 pm »

Goddamnit Steam. Login already. And if I actually have to download 12GB of content to update L4D2, I'm deleting L4D2.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: April 15, 2011, 07:29:07 pm »

I'm in north west Indiana and I've met one atheist, that's it . Live outside a town of about five thousand. Although the number of people who actively practice Christianity is less than I would expect.

Southern Indiana, and about a dozen to a half dozen out-and-out self-declared pagans. Oddly only one athiest that I know of, and yet somehow, I could throw a rock and hit a pagan from my front door.

And no, I have not and will not try to.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: April 15, 2011, 09:35:46 pm »

even if fairweather traffic is frustrating as hell.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: April 15, 2011, 10:17:56 pm »

There is a reason I rarely play FPS games. The story line sucks more then a vacuum cleaner built by the myth busters, and people act like doche bags as soon as you give them a weapon and a point system.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: April 15, 2011, 10:24:35 pm »

Things that are making me RAEG!

I havent bought a game for the pc/console/imagination for a good solid year, and all I want is From Dust and LoZ: Skyward Sword, and they refuse to put out any release dates.

I WANT MAH GAEMS! GIMMEH MAH GAEMS OR DIE!

RRRAAAAEEEGEGEGEEEARGHLEBARGLEHGSDGF@#GDSFSDGSDf2g3
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 3345