Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700337 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #1230 on: March 09, 2011, 04:36:41 pm »

Because it's not a dialect! It's one particular malformed phoneme that for whatever reason entered a very specific subset of the population[.
That pretty much sounds like the description of a dialect to me. :P
My inner linguist is burninating you with laser-beam-eyes now.
My outer linguist thinks that sounds pretty much like an isogloss.
Good find. Although technically, the isogloss would be the boundary line between where people say "arrr" and where they say "arr-ruh" (I should use IPA to give a better idea of what I'm trying to describe, but I suck at IPA). But from what I can tell, it's not so much a geographic area as a demographic one. And it's not just a "Ebonics" or whatever you want to call it thing...black males don't typically do it. Younger black females don't seem to do it. It's a peculiar subsection of race, age, gender and (broadly) location.

And I don't know why, but it grates on me like a cheesegrater on a blackboard. A *rusty* cheesegrater.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 09, 2011, 04:47:03 pm »

Can I be honest? The happy thread's title. And come to think of it, all the fancy ~s and mews and non english that is fucking everywhere now.

There is no need to add fancy characters. There is no need to make cat sounds. There is no need to replace words, and then when people wonder what the fuck it is add (Oh, this is the x thread. We just wanted to be one of the cool kids and replace it with shit nobody wants to see.) to the end.
...There aren't any tildes, mews or non English words in the happy thread title.

I'd also point out that there is no need to post in this thread or indeed visit Bay 12 at all..
There were about a week ago, or perhaps it was a different thread.

Why? This thread is for things that made me angry. This made me angry, so I posted it.
the strongest

It's a Touhou thing, I think, so it shouldn't make sense to most people.  Not saying it's good or bad, just letting you know she didn't make it up whole-cloth.
*sigh* More niches I need to fit into to enjoy my already niche heavy (Mostly with ones I like.) forums. Add weeaboo to the list, if anyone is keeping track.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 09, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »

Dammit, the happy thread strongest thing is Cirno, and Ice fairy who calls herself the strongest. She is actually pretty weak. She got the idiot status (Baka in japanese) with one of her moves called icicle fall. In easy mode there was a safe spot.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 09, 2011, 04:52:31 pm »

That, and the creator of the games himself called her a baka.
Spoiler: See the ⑨? (click to show/hide)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 09, 2011, 04:53:08 pm »

... No. Its broken for me.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 09, 2011, 04:54:33 pm »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1236 on: March 09, 2011, 05:15:46 pm »

Good find. Although technically, the isogloss would be the boundary line between where people say "arrr" and where they say "arr-ruh" (I should use IPA to give a better idea of what I'm trying to describe, but I suck at IPA). But from what I can tell, it's not so much a geographic area as a demographic one. And it's not just a "Ebonics" or whatever you want to call it thing...black males don't typically do it. Younger black females don't seem to do it. It's a peculiar subsection of race, age, gender and (broadly) location.

And I don't know why, but it grates on me like a cheesegrater on a blackboard. A *rusty* cheesegrater.
Hehe. Yeah, it's just a dialect feature, but calling it an isogloss is convenient shorthand to refer to the feature and it's location. I'm no dialect geographer. :P

I have a good what you're talking about. Dunno how I'd represent it in IPA though. It seems like it might be caused by relaxing the tongue before stopping the airflow, and I dunno how you'd represent features of tension since they're usually non-distinctive (or at least I can't come up with any languages where they aren't). Plus I'm not very good with IPA either. But yeah, dialects do vary over both location and demographic. At pretty much any social divide you're going to find a lingusitic one.

I understand though, I live in the South right now and as much as I try to be a good descriptivist, I still miss the reflexive pronoun.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 09, 2011, 05:37:27 pm »

About the headphones raeg a few pages back: It's always the cords that break on them, right where it connects to the earbud/earmuff-thingie. Last time I looked(at a dollar store) a new pair of headphones was about $25, although last time I actually bought any was a 3-set for $5. Two of the three in that set broke within a couple of weeks, and about a month or two ago, the third pair's right side stopped working. Actually, the right side is the one that keeps breaking >:(.

Today's raeg: Missed the bus to go to work. I coulda sworn I made it to the stop on time, but the bus never showed. I had to ask the asshole for a ride, which started him on a tantrum of swearing, calling me incompetent in the face of the always infallible public transit system, and complaints of what it might cost to have two of the dogs euthanized. And all that was before leaving.

I really hope I put that bastard in a coma before moving out of state.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1238 on: March 09, 2011, 05:58:59 pm »

the strongest

It's a Touhou thing, I think, so it shouldn't make sense to most people.  Not saying it's good or bad, just letting you know she didn't make it up whole-cloth.
*sigh* More niches I need to fit into to enjoy my already niche heavy (Mostly with ones I like.) forums. Add weeaboo to the list, if anyone is keeping track.
You could, you know, ignore it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 09, 2011, 07:22:09 pm »

the strongest

I could, you know, go brain dead, then never have to think about it again. Some suggestions just won't work very well.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 09, 2011, 07:39:52 pm »

the strongest

I could, you know, go brain dead, then never have to think about it again. Some suggestions just won't work very well.
Excellent idea, I am turning my brain off now.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 09, 2011, 10:30:20 pm »

The Michigan politics thread has made me want to develop the T-virus just to get rid of Michigan's government.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »

Someone I know was being all high and mighty about how moral they are. I don't mind when someone holds themselves to a higher standard, and as long as they aren't a hypocrite, they can apply it to others without me caring. What got me was that this person is so sheltered that there is no way they've ever been faced with alcohol or drugs, such that their not having taken them speaks in any way of their character. Morality and integrity are about making the proper choice despite difficulty, not making the proper choice because it is the only one. I'm trying to close this in a witty and flippant manner but I'm too angry.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:33 am »

My English teacher is a shitty person who deserves to rot in a ditch.
This from a guy who is very forgiving and has trouble holding a grudge

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:55 am »

The Michigan politics thread has made me want to develop the T-virus just to get rid of Michigan's government.

Now imagine living there. The apathy in this place is overwhelming.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 3345