Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3701271 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #1140 on: March 01, 2011, 06:18:57 pm »

A UK Christian couple have lost their right to be foster parents because of their views on homosexuality.  The parents have successfully raised several children already with no complaints.  But now their city council believes their views makes them unfit to raise children.  Or something.

Favorite quote:
[The judges] rejected suggestions that the case involved "a threat to religious liberty", adding: "No one is asserting that Christians - or, for that matter, Jews or Muslims - are not fit and proper persons to foster or adopt. No-one is contending for a blanket ban."
Yes you are.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 01, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »

There not having a Blanket Ban on Christians, Jews or Muslims, there having a Blanket Ban from Adopting and looking after kids if you can't tell those children that homosexuality (and by extension that there sexuality)  is okay.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:13:47 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 01, 2011, 07:53:21 pm »

Assholes making more comments about how I smell, despite the fact that the house is currently filled with smoke, not to mention that lamp oil, which they use to start the fire in the first place, kills the sense of smell pretty handily.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 02, 2011, 01:15:24 am »

There not having a Blanket Ban on Christians, Jews or Muslims, there having a Blanket Ban from Adopting and looking after kids if you can't tell those children that homosexuality (and by extension that there sexuality)  is okay.
There's the kicker.  They've practically declared mainstream Christians to be unfit to adopt, and by proxy, even raise children, unless they willfully (or unwillfully?) abandon part of their religious beliefs.  I'd understand if this was a case of a Muslim couple who believed the punishment for homosexuality was death, or if this couple showed a tendency to be very overbearing on their foster kids for believing different than them.  But instead, it seems this is a couple who can maturely handle touchy issues whose rights were stripped from them because why?  Is there something wrong with parents who have different views than their children?  Democrats will raise republicans, male chauvinists will raise feminists, gays will raise straights, Christians will raise atheists, men and women raise more men and women and they are always different from each other.  Any child could grow up feeling guilty about any part of their identity if their parents dealt with those identity issues incorrectly.

I'm a slightly overweight, shy Christian man who likes to play video games and loves to hang out with all sorts of people.  My non-religious, over-bearing liberal mother always said I was fat, that she hated my friends, that my religion was a total crock, that playing video games was an utter waste of time.  When I went to college, I discovered people who accepted me for who I was, I learned about self esteem and self respect, I learned I could appreciate my body while also desiring to improve it through exercise.  I grew up, I saw my mother was wrong about all sorts of things, so I follow what I believe is right.  And I know I'm not the first person to do that.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 02, 2011, 01:45:43 am »

Yeah that how your life went, it works just as well if you switch religious/atheist and liberal/conservative around (even better perhaps).
Quote from: euld
I'm a slightly overweight, shy atheist who likes to play video games and loves to hang out with all sorts of people.  My religious, over-bearing conservative mother always said I was fat, that she hated my friends, that my lack of religion meant i was going to hell, that playing video games was an utter waste of time.  When I went to college, I discovered people who accepted me for who I was, I learned about self esteem and self respect, I learned I could appreciate my body while also desiring to improve it through exercise.  I grew up, I saw my mother was wrong about all sorts of things, so I follow what I believe is right.  And I know I'm not the first person to do that.
See?

The basic problem here, is that part of the christian faith is intolerance, i think that its plenty fair to take offense with that.
If you professed a loathing for all women, do you think you would be allowed to adopt children, odds are that you wouldn't, its sorta the same thing.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Syreniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 02, 2011, 02:37:37 am »

A UK Christian couple have lost their right to be foster parents because of their views on homosexuality.  The parents have successfully raised several children already with no complaints.  But now their city council believes their views makes them unfit to raise children.  Or something.

Favorite quote:
Quote from: The judges
rejected suggestions that the case involved "a threat to religious liberty", adding: "No one is asserting that Christians - or, for that matter, Jews or Muslims - are not fit and proper persons to foster or adopt. No-one is contending for a blanket ban."
Yes you are.

Spin the situation the other way round; would you agree with a family teaching their adopted children that Christianity is evil?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 02, 2011, 04:08:25 am »

Lemon's example is an example of Christianity done ENTIRELY wrong.  And how does that lead into Christianity being about intolerance?  My mother doesn't have a religious bone in her body but she was amazingly critical of everything I did.

Christianity is NOT about intolerance.  Yes, you see all the people with "God hates sodomites" signs and the like, and hear lots of horror stories of homosexuals being harassed by their peers.  But those are people who are doing it wrong and are widely advertised for it.  We don't use the phrase "Love the sinner, hate the sin" because we hate sinners.  Jesus even said to forgive 77 times, then forgive another 77 times if need be (implying to forgive someone endlessly).  I've gone to three different churches with forgiving, open-minded people who accept anyone.  The ENTIRE point of Christianity is forgiveness, the defining point between a non-Christian and a Christian is who accepted Jesus's forgiveness.  Just last sunday in church, the pastor had a sermon on all the great people of the Bible (Moses, Elijah, Peter, Paul, and more), discussed all their tragic flaws and sins but also pointed out the great accomplishments they did in spite of their mistakes.  God forgave them even after they messed up big time.  The Bible even defines what love means.

The couple did not express a hatred for homosexuals.  If they did, then yes I would agree they should not be foster parents.  Instead, they expressed the belief that homosexuality is sinful, NOT evil.  Sin and evil are two different things.  Sin is rebellion against God, but can be done accidentally.  Sin is usually addictive and enjoyable.  Sin is tragic, it's emotionally and spiritually destructive to the sinner and often times, to the people around them while giving just enough pleasure to keep rolling with it.  Sin can lead people to be evil, but we always believe that anyone can be reached.  I WOULD be shocked if a family was teaching adopted children that Christianity was evil, as shocked as I would be if it was a Christian family saying homosexuality is evil, or if it was a gay family teaching homosexuality is evil.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1147 on: March 02, 2011, 04:25:40 am »

It depends on how the couple really feels about it.  If the Johns said that if someone their foster child said that they were gay, they would try to turn the fostered person (probably teen) away from that then there is an issue.  If they accepted it, then it would be fine.  I didn't see enough from the couple themselves to decide what their answer would be.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 02, 2011, 07:52:32 am »

Someone told me that the music from Shadow of the Colossus sucks because "It doesn't have lyrics in it like Madden NFL 2011"

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 02, 2011, 07:54:01 am »

Someone told me that the music from Shadow of the Colossus sucks because "It doesn't have lyrics in it like Madden NFL 2011"

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Lol noobs don't know about real games and need edumication.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 02, 2011, 07:54:43 am »

Wha- I- buh... huh?! ???
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 02, 2011, 09:11:02 am »

Somebody has been smoking my bro's shit again it seems....

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 02, 2011, 09:39:59 am »

First Essay

Just because it is normal, doesn't mean its right.

Essay on Christianity not being about Hate

Not a Ban on Cristians, just people who can't tell children that there lifestyles aren't an abberation in the eyes of the Almighty.

Essay on Sin, and how it differs from Evil

This is up for interpretation
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 02, 2011, 10:32:26 am »

Not a Ban on Cristians, just people who can't tell children that there lifestyles aren't an abberation in the eyes of the Almighty.
That would be mainstream Christians, yes.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:13 am »

That would be mainstream Christians, yes.

I remember a quote in someone's sig here on the forum:

"Think of religion like an erection, you're intitel'd to have one but don't wave it in peoples faces and for god's sake, don't ram it down your childrens throats!"

Very fitting.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 3345