Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689736 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2010, 05:16:25 pm »

(since we're apparently talking about piracy now...)

When people make correlations like "you wouldn't steal a car, why would you steal a movie?" I always find it kind of dumb because when you pirate a movie, the source still has their copy of it. Like, if we lived in a world where stealing a car was making an identical copy of a car you see and then driving it around for a while having a good time, and then erasing it from existence when you were done with it? Yeah, I'd totally do that.

Honestly, it's hardly 'you are effectively stealing because instead of going to see the movie in theaters you see it for free, thus taking away money from the company' - if pirating wasn't an option, I just wouldn't see the movie at all. I'm not trying to argue that pirating is morally okay, I just think it's dumb to try and make the 'stealing' correlation.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2010, 05:22:28 pm »

I think every pirate should at least consider, honestly, who or what they're affecting when they decide to pirate. I too almost never pirate stuff I would have otherwise bought if I couldn't pirate it. In that sense piracy actually gets me to pay for some products I never would have.

Then again I know some people whose torrent client never sleeps, and they just bring in a deluge of stuff both small and big time. That's the kind of piracy I disapprove of. Pirate a little, pirate to test...you make up for that somewhere along the line. When you're just devouring everything the internet can offer you, that's when I start to question your basic morality. I've known all kinds of thieves, digital or otherwise, and the "it doesn't REALLY hurt anyone" argument gets used a lot too. And it's even less true there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2010, 06:04:28 pm »

Some day I may want to sing Happy Birthday to my child, but I won't, because it would be illegal.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2010, 06:15:34 pm »

That's, in all fairness, just as outrageous as what the RIAA and others say.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2010, 06:20:19 pm »

Yeah that's a blatant lie, but it is owned by Warner-Chapel, and you do have to pay fees if you use it in a product you want to share or sell, if it's not a snapshot of it for demonstrative purposes.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2010, 06:22:35 pm »

Yeah that's a blatant lie, but it is owned by Warner-Chapel, and you do have to pay fees if you use it in a product you want to share or sell, if it's not a snapshot of it for demonstrative purposes.

So. Doesn't that make sense?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2010, 07:15:37 pm »

Indeed, Warner-Chapel are losing millions of potential dollars from the mass piracy of their song.

"Biro" is also apparently a trademark.  They once sent a letter to a satirical magazine demanding that they stop using it to refer to ballpoint pens.  The magazine printed it, under the heading "What a pathetic way to make a living".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »

There are public domain laws and fair uses clauses in America. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone understands them, including the people that hold the rights. Adobe did the same thing, when they asked people stop using "Photoshop" to describe any digital alterations to photos. I recall that they asked, although they may have filed C&D orders to some. There are ways and reasons for defending IP and trademark names that are legitimate.

Either way, it's a red herring to bring up singing Happy Birthday compared to downloading and cracking a video game that's sitting on thousands of shelves for sale. We're not talking trademarks in clearly fair use cases.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:16 pm »

Posting to track on who posts on heh.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2010, 10:22:54 pm »

Somehow I turned on the notify for the fourm games and role-playing section. By the time I realized it and turned it off I had three hundred new emails.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2010, 10:24:05 pm »

300 very short e-mails.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2010, 10:26:04 pm »

300 EMAILS MIXED WITH MY REAL EMAILS

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:37 pm »

THEY ARE LOST IN THE CROWD
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:50 pm »

I am going to blaim and take it out on anyone who has started a topic in the last two months.

SO WATCH YOUR BACKS.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2010, 10:36:55 pm »

Eep.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 3345