Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693847 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: $1.50 is fine Edition
« Reply #9480 on: March 05, 2012, 02:52:10 pm »

Maybe aerosol? Or suspension?(but that's liquids..)

Some people have so much perfume on, just walking by them gives you a minor headache.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: March 05, 2012, 03:12:44 pm »

Sunburn -> discussion about how people don't like febreeze. Interesting.

Anyways it turns out the sunburn on my nose is especially bad. It's blistering slightly, which is super gross. I'm on a quest for aloe now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: March 05, 2012, 03:18:19 pm »

Subconsciously we started thinking about the smell of your sun tan lotion. There, the circle is rejoined.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9483 on: March 05, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »

Sunburn -> discussion about how people don't like febreeze. Interesting.

ddid you suffer from amnesia? remember, this is the bay12 forum!

What if you applied Febreeze to your sunburn?

Frostbite on your sunburn :O

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9484 on: March 05, 2012, 04:34:26 pm »

Permgen space error. nuff said.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: March 05, 2012, 08:49:54 pm »

My head feels like my brain has been whacked by a sledgehammer. Multiple times.

If this persists tomorrow, I may have to stay home, because I sure as hell can't concentrate.

Thank god for Acetaminophen. Even if it did take its sweet time working and isn't 100% effective.

And is temporary.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:59:52 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: March 06, 2012, 01:01:39 am »

Time for some nerd raeg.

I have this friend, known him since we were kids. We played every kind of game imaginable together, from video games to table top RPGs. We went to different high schools, got into different things over the course of our lives, but we've always stayed friends.

So he's regularly trying to get me back into gaming sessions with him and his friends, and I occasionally say yes. He's a very fun, creative GM and usually runs a rousing game no matter what it is. Light on the roleplaying maybe, but never on flavor.

There's just one real thing I can't fucking stand about his games. And that's his friends.

I don't dislike any of these guys. I just dislike the culture of gaming they've created amongst themselves.

Here's the scenario:

Roll up a 1 Level Character. Usually, it'll be a melee of some sort, because his whole crew ONLY plays Wizards, or whatever class has the most game warping potential. I'll be told a melee would be good "to balance out the party."

Proceed to get thrown into an encounter that's WAY too high a level for you.

Sit around and do nothing while the rest of the party (his friends) blast everything with overpowered characters, who are higher level, are OVERLOADED with gear and benefits and who are always in the middle of some personal in-joke, that you may or may not get. Not in an exclusionary way...more like shouting out random memes from the days of yore.

They're not dicks, they're just loud and "whacky" and it always goes the same fucking way every time I play. Get laid low in the first few rounds of anything, and sit around while it turns into the "Chris and Co. Show." Marvel at the fistfuls of dice they throw, how they effortlessly address every situation by pulling one trick or another from their bag of Monty Haul. Roll your eyes at hearing the explanatory phrase "Wizard" get used no less than 50 times a night. Tap your fingers in boredom and wait as they theatrically make decisions on which the future of the party rests. Every. Fucking. Turn. Try to stifle the vomit rising in your throat as they high-five each other....for the 18th time. It was funny the first dozen times, but at some point it stops being a joke and it starts being how they actually view themselves in that moment in time. I'm a complete nerd, but even that is hard for me to look at repeatedly.

Don't get me wrong, I still have fun. I laugh plenty, geek out and generally do manage to enjoy the game (by virtue of my friends DMing more than anything.) I have no problem being friendly with these guys, who I've now known for several years.

But I sometimes feel like he invites me to these things because he KNOWS his games with his friends are borderline group masturbation, like having me come to play turns it into a real roleplaying game and not just him basically setting the stage for the same group of people to do the same thing, over and over and over again. I might stay to level up a character, become suitably bad ass, make a difference. But those first one or two sessions usually make me go "I'd rather stay home and play video games" despite how much I miss table top, and hanging out with one of my best friends. I don't resent his friends, I just resent the scenarios I get put into. I don't think I've EVER rolled Level 1 characters with these guys, and in a sense, I've never been part of the group despite being present. I'm always coming in partway through some ridiculous epic of theirs and don't find the campaign (or them) interesting enough to stay for long.

Part of me really wants to like the whole thing, but another part of me wants an actual roleplaying game...and not this hack 'n slash fantasy they always do. I don't come to games just to be an audience, but fuck if that's what I feel like every time I join them. I've given their group several tries but something has always eventually driven me away....and tonight I think I finally zeroed in on it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:25:07 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: March 06, 2012, 01:20:07 am »

I've participated in two D&D sessions, and didn't really enjoy both because of the people I ended up with.  First campaign ended with major drama, second one I played a melee and got the short end of the stick while the wizard and priest pwned everything.  For example, we had to go clear our an entire town of undead.  I was expecting some awesome urban combat, instead we nuked the town with fire and turn undead while levitating above.  While the summons (none of them were mine of course) did the rest.  Yeah...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:58 am »

First campaign ended with major drama, second one I played a melee and got the short end of the stick while the wizard and priest pwned everything.  For example, we had to go clear our an entire town of undead.  I was expecting some awesome urban combat, instead we nuked the town with fire and turn undead while levitating above.  While the summons (none of them were mine of course) did the rest.  Yeah...

That's pretty much his crew. Add in in lots of (mostly good-natured) grandstanding and the knowledge you're playing with a group of people who have been gaming together for 15 years non-stop. You know who I really pity? Their wives and girlfriends, who I've seen many of in the past (and even tonight.) If *I* feel on the periphery despite being a guy, being a hardcore nerd AND being a seasoned roleplayer....I'm amazed any of them even try anymore. Hell, they didn't even wait for one guy's girlfriend to get here tonight.

It's funny, in the 15 or so people in this group, it's really only maybe 3 to 4 that really run the show. Everyone else, even good friends in the group, seem to get pushed to the side when it comes to the table top. I find myself taking stupid risks just to have an impact of any sort in their games...which is not how I like to play.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:31:24 am by nenjin »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:26 am »

First campaign ended with major drama, second one I played a melee and got the short end of the stick while the wizard and priest pwned everything.  For example, we had to go clear our an entire town of undead.  I was expecting some awesome urban combat, instead we nuked the town with fire and turn undead while levitating above.  While the summons (none of them were mine of course) did the rest.  Yeah...

That's pretty much his crew. Add in in lots of (mostly good-natured) grandstanding and the knowledge you're playing with a group of people who have been gaming together for 15 years non-stop. You know who I really pity? Their wives and girlfriends, who I've seen many of in the past (and even tonight.) If *I* feel on the periphery despite being a guy, being a hardcore nerd AND being a seasoned roleplayer....I'm amazed any of them even try anymore. Hell, they didn't even wait for one guy's girlfriend to get here tonight.

It's funny, in the 15 or so people in this group, it's really only maybe 3 to 4 that really run the show. Everyone else, even good friends in the group, seem to get pushed to the side when it comes to the table top. I find myself taking stupid risks just to have an impact of any sort in their games...which is not how I like to play.
Wait, there are 15 people in your gaming group? How does that even work?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:52 am »

Poorly, I imagine. And also from the sound of it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: March 06, 2012, 02:41:53 am »

I just had to put on my best deadpan face to explain to my stepfather mum's boyfriend in the calmest voice I have ever managed that "I do not have a hard-copy of my literature SAC questions, that I was required to download them and that I already have them." in between being told how disorganised I was by my mother.
ಠ_ಠ

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:47 am »

I think this is the first software update this computer has had in YEARS. WinXP SP2 to SP3? Come ON. It's like the owners of this computer (not me) think updating is a waste of time and disabled Automatic Updates or something.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: March 06, 2012, 03:02:04 am »

I think this is the first software update this computer has had in YEARS. WinXP SP2 to SP3? Come ON. It's like the owners of this computer (not me) think updating is a waste of time and disabled Automatic Updates or something.
If they pirated that OS they're going to RAEG at you.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #9494 on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:34 am »

FUCK. FLASH.
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 3345