Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693822 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fistfuls of Hair Edition
« Reply #9090 on: February 16, 2012, 12:40:17 am »

I'm angry because I'm tired, and I don't want to be tired.  I want to work.

Tired working is unproductive and generally worse than untired working! If you really can't put it off until tomorrow, try a 15-minute nap or tomar un café. drink some coffee

(what the hell am I writing spanglish for that doesn't even make sense)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:43:18 am by Putnam »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: February 16, 2012, 12:42:06 am »

I'm angry because I'm tired, and I don't want to be tired.  I want to work.

This is me.  Every single time I force myself to go to sleep.  I can't say it's always because I want to work, but I'm always doing something and have a million more things I want to do, many of them productive.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: February 16, 2012, 12:44:10 am »

I got the opposite problem. I want to work, not that tired, but can't get the motivation.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: February 16, 2012, 12:51:04 am »

I'll be honest, even the classes that are supposedly justified by their usefulness are useless to the majority of people (who will never have a career that requires them to remember what the flying fuck a ribosome is), and have an aesthetic beauty akin to any traditional art to a lot of the people who do use the information. I remember the first time I stopped thinking of evolution as leveling up and started thinking of it as what I can only describe as a flow of information, and the staggering sense of wonder that accompanied it. Damn. But maybe I'm being overly romantic. Short version, I don't think that usefulness is an acceptable justification on its own.

Also I don't think that there's any reductionism involved with science but I know a lot of people approach it that way and I guess who am I to tell them what science is? Blah, I dunno, I feel like reductionism is an inherently flawed approach, or at least expanding it beyond the scope of simulation is. At the point where you've got a mind, it's not a simulation of a mind anymore. Maybe I should start a thread?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:28 am »

I just got briefly dragged into this little flamewar. I PMed Toady got the thread locked and it looks deleted, but... UGH.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:38 am »

Yeah. I don't post in it a lot, but it's usually been nice to me ARGH RAGE It'S 10;00 I SHOULD BE ASLEEP BUT I HAVE TONS OF HOMEWORK UGH WHY SO MUCH STUFF

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: February 16, 2012, 01:11:56 am »

And then we went on to read about the crucible, and I found it rather interesting! And it would have been better if our teacher didn't insist on relating it to Joseph McCarthy every two fucking seconds, and while I take that as a legitimate point of study, it had nothing to do with the fucking set curriculum! This is my fucking senior year lady, stick to the fucking topic! I need to know how to pretend that I am learning something about belonging and acceptance from all this bullshit, and how we should treat other people!
And seriously, the question was always framed as 'What did you learn from X', well sweet FUCK ALL, not because their is nothing to understand, but because I knew not to make baseless accusations before I hit fucking puberty! THIS IS NOTHING NEW. Your lame babies first philosophy class masquerading as an English class does not fool me for a second, I know this is belloni, you know this is belloni, let's cut the crap and admit that the hundreds of hours spend in this room are a total waste of time that was dreamed up by some politician looking to know what they are doing, when really they don't have a fucking clue what we should be teaching our children!
I hated and hate studying The Crucible. Imagine the main guy as an 80 year old man. That's closer to reality and makes the Abigail plot line all the creepier.
Two years in a row! Why!

All I remember from my Belonging unit is the book about child kidnapping. Looks like you had bad luck when it came to book choice.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: February 16, 2012, 01:15:53 am »

I'm only feeling worse and worse. It's looking like I;m going to have to turn it in late and I', trying to get my grades up this quarter it's late I'm tired I need to work ARGH WHY

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: February 16, 2012, 01:16:54 am »

And then we went on to read about the crucible, and I found it rather interesting! And it would have been better if our teacher didn't insist on relating it to Joseph McCarthy every two fucking seconds, and while I take that as a legitimate point of study, it had nothing to do with the fucking set curriculum! This is my fucking senior year lady, stick to the fucking topic! I need to know how to pretend that I am learning something about belonging and acceptance from all this bullshit, and how we should treat other people!
And seriously, the question was always framed as 'What did you learn from X', well sweet FUCK ALL, not because their is nothing to understand, but because I knew not to make baseless accusations before I hit fucking puberty! THIS IS NOTHING NEW. Your lame babies first philosophy class masquerading as an English class does not fool me for a second, I know this is belloni, you know this is belloni, let's cut the crap and admit that the hundreds of hours spend in this room are a total waste of time that was dreamed up by some politician looking to know what they are doing, when really they don't have a fucking clue what we should be teaching our children!
I hated and hate studying The Crucible. Imagine the main guy as an 80 year old man. That's closer to reality and makes the Abigail plot line all the creepier.
Two years in a row! Why!

All I remember from my Belonging unit is the book about child kidnapping. Looks like you had bad luck when it came to book choice.
I wanted to read To Kill a Mockingbird but noooo i needed to take a advance class ie. history//english class combined  ::)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: February 16, 2012, 01:20:05 am »

I guess I got fairly lucky for the most part. Ender's Game, lots of Greek mythology, more than a little Shakespeare. Had the obligatory The Great Gatsby and To Kill A Mockingbird too, but in general I was always happy with my English classes. The difference between AP English and regular English at my HS was pretty small. Mostly the test and the dire warnings about it being srs bzness. Lulz.

We had a lot of great teachers there. The benefit of going to the "rich kids" high school, although that didn't describe 70% of the people that went there including me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: February 16, 2012, 01:56:19 am »

My English 30 class this year consisted of interpreting about 200 terrible short stories followed by Hamlet (which I actually managed to like), Miracle at St. Anna, and the Shawshank Redemption, which all collectively kind of but not really made up for a good 40% of my mark depending on my ability to wade through pages and pages of purple prose without vomiting.

Relatedly, when we were watching Miracle at St. Anna, some guy in my class apparently could not grasp the concept of an American soldier being able to speak Italian. After about 10 minutes of everyone trying to explain this concept to him, I snapped and started yelling. I am not proud of this.

EDIT: Oh god. I just posted in the non-DF section. I have become a B12er.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:58:33 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: February 16, 2012, 02:06:21 am »

I wanted to read To Kill a Mockingbird but noooo i needed to take a advance class ie. history//english class combined  ::)
Honestly, The Crucible was better, in my honest opinion. To kill a mocking bird was just too preachy and too little plot. Even the 'big surprise' at the end was just another case of "Oh look, guess we should continue to not judge a book by its cover, after being told a billion times already!"

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: February 16, 2012, 02:23:25 am »

Honestly, The Crucible was better, in my honest opinion. To kill a mocking bird was just too preachy and too little plot. Even the 'big surprise' at the end was just another case of "Oh look, guess we should continue to not judge a book by its cover, after being told a billion times already!"
The Crucible drove me nuts. I can't really remember much about it or why I didn't like it, though.

I liked TKaM a lot more than I expected to, although it was really slow-paced and Atticus's "beholden to nobody" speech about the belligerent old lady (can't remember her name, it was at least four years ago) made me roll my eyes.

What really left an impression on me was Atticus's thoughts on (I think) his role as a defense attorney and the relationship between the prosecutor and attorney. It really makes me wish that there were more sympathetic portrayals of lawyers in fiction.

(Forgive me if I got any details horribly wrong, as, again, it's been a while.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: February 16, 2012, 06:34:37 am »

My gf wants me to read this, I have it next to me. Guilt trip.
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 3345