Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693545 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8955 on: February 14, 2012, 03:54:00 pm »

I once had a girl ask me 'Who is Korea?'
Hehe.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8956 on: February 14, 2012, 03:55:08 pm »

I once had a girl ask me 'Who is Korea?'
Hehe.
Doesn't beat "Does cheese come from trees?"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:04 pm »

Well, sometimes you do find it around wood.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: February 14, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »

Are their parents rich alumni? If their parents are rich alumni it probably explains why they got in.

I dunno.  It could be for sports reasons or something similar...

I'm also upset at myself for giving the GSI a mean look when he asked if we understood recursion.  I know I shouldn't have.  It was irresistible =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: February 14, 2012, 04:24:57 pm »

Those people grow up to be stupid adults. And then they talk to me. I'm talking to one right now.

People like this are why I'm halfway partial to radical notions like shutting down the Federal government, if only to flush out the thousands upon thousands of people in the Federal workforce who are only there because it's damn near impossible to fire a Federal worker for incompetence. ATF has a lot of administrative staff personnel who started with the Bureau back in the 70s and early 80s, prior to the personal computer being a fixture of the office. They've never caught up. And it's not from a lack of training options, it's from a sheer lack of critical thinking skills. If you give them a list of steps to follow, and they don't have to deviate from that list, they can perform their job. In that respect, they're not much different than the assembly line worker that knew how to do a small number of tasks over and over again all day long.

But if something doesn't work as designed, or God forbid something changes....*sigh*

Meanwhile I have friends with Master's Degrees who are working in mall kiosks (if they're lucky) because they can't get any Federal jobs. Because these people won't retire and won't die.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: February 14, 2012, 04:35:27 pm »

Meanwhile I have friends with Master's Degrees who are working in mall kiosks (if they're lucky) because they can't get any Federal jobs. Because these people won't retire and won't die.

True.

The British governments response to lack of jobs, increase the retirement age so people dont retire and let the unemployed have some jobs. Cut training funds to get people skills, reduce jobs and cut unemployment welfare.
Either the government really hates the unemployed, which they made unemployed, or they are just simply morons.

Honestly I don't know which it is.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: February 14, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »

I just don't fathom why they did away with the civil service test. And you shouldn't just have to pass one to get in, it should be a recurrent thing, say every five years. OPM has a list of job duties and qualifications for each and every position in the Federal government. Seems to me that from that you'd be able to develop a practical skills test. Set your baseline score and test EVERYBODY. You score below the test, you got six months to retrain and take it again (and pass). Otherwise, sayonara.

The test could be updated periodically to include new core skills in technology as the tech changes. That way, you don't get saddled with all these over-the-hill Federal workers who flail at technology and draw a six-figure salary while doing it. These people would not be able to hold down an office temp job in the private sector, but yet some of them literally make over $100,000 a year. I've spent more or less my entire career helping a lot of fairly inept people hide their ineptness by fixing all their problems for them, all while they make two, three, four times as much money as I do. I'm fucking sick and tired of it.

Of course, Fate may be laughing its ass off at me if I get laid off in a few months. Bet you the people I support will still have a job.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: February 14, 2012, 05:07:43 pm »

She has a point though, why should we care for a country that has no strategic advantages to us at all.

Except she wasn't asking the question as a matter of our foreign policy.

She was asking why any media organization, or individual American citizen, should care about Afghanistan. Her answer emerged from the question: "What do you run first? News about Afghanistan, or some local news story?"

I can expect that from joe-schmoe on the street. From someone that paid tens of thousands of dollars for an education in media? RAEG.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:09:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: February 14, 2012, 05:13:44 pm »

I'm getting slightly jealous now >_>

Here I am, having released a fully featured mod for 34.01, with many of the new features (interactions? You got it) of the update, and Deon whips up a smaller one with his crazy modding powers (guy's a legend, after all) and gets a whole bunch of praise for it while I'm almost entirely ignored.

Maybe it's better described as envy. Now let it all flooow out into this post... flooow...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8964 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:26 pm »

I'm getting slightly jealous now >_>

Here I am, having released a fully featured mod for 34.01, with many of the new features (interactions? You got it) of the update, and Deon whips up a smaller one with his crazy modding powers (guy's a legend, after all) and gets a whole bunch of praise for it while I'm almost entirely ignored.

Maybe it's better described as envy. Now let it all flooow out into this post... flooow...

Dude has name recognition. It happens.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: February 14, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »

Seriously. He got that name recognition because of his work. (Well, and because he does tile packs for practically everything that comes through this forum.) You'll get yours too, as long as you put your work first.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »

Eh, all my mods are awfully niche due to my lack of imagination, so they're all based on something or other (which gives me an idea... Maybe a dragonball mod! That sounds fun! I'm sure there's another one, but I haven't seen it recently...)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: February 14, 2012, 05:22:52 pm »

Eh, all my mods are awfully niche due to my lack of imagination, so they're all based on something or other (which gives me an idea... Maybe a dragonball mod! That sounds fun! I'm sure there's another one, but I haven't seen it recently...)

Don't rage about it, keep at it. Everyone loves mods, everyone loves DF. You're in good company here.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: February 14, 2012, 05:23:56 pm »

For what it's worth, Putnam, I noticed your mod upload and thought about trying it out, just for being the first mod release for the new version.  The only reason I didn't is because I don't know anything about Homestuck.  And now I know you're the author.  Name recognition right there.  Still not going to play it... but I'm sure your diligence has gained notice from others as well.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: February 14, 2012, 05:24:44 pm »

Protip: Niche fame isn't worth much. Yeah it's nice to get recognition but that shouldn't be a significant part of why you make mods.

I'm in a bunch of small game design communities and it's a common occurrence for people to get angsty over not being noticed. These are the same people who never finish anything unless they have a bunch of followers encouraging them to "give them motivation." Simply put, priorities in the wrong spot; you should make mods for yourself, no one else.

Not intending to put you down or anything; rage all you wish, so long as it doesn't get in the way of your mod making :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 3345