Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691347 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: TOILET RAEG Edition
« Reply #8475 on: January 19, 2012, 06:01:32 pm »

Poor Megaupload.  They were my second favorite download site.  Filesonic and Fileserve need to get arrested instead.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: January 19, 2012, 06:02:09 pm »

I guess I'm not surprised. Mega Upload has been around for a while, and truly, a ton of copyrighted and questionable material went through there. Unlike the vast majority of torrent sites, which do not charge for membership, Mega Upload had premium access which people paid for. Which means they were profiting directly from the activities going on through their site.

And that's the line that many, many torrent sites have avoided because it is the clearest and most identifiable form of their personal enrichment from other people's copyrighted material. Mega Upload basically stands for everything that the industry is terrified of. They may hate pirates, but they fear the commercialization of piracy. And that's what Mega Upload represented to them. Not only were they "losing money" to piracy, that money was going into someone else's pocket and they had a functioning and profitable business model built around it.

So really, I'm not incredibly bothered by this. I've long seen Mega Upload as a cesspit of the lowest kind of sharing and piracy. Do I think it sets a good precedent that the government moved against the, what, 14th most visited site on the web? Not really. Do I think they picked a decent target in a target-rich environment? Definitely.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:04:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: January 19, 2012, 06:02:10 pm »

Or rapidshare

I don't think anyone would miss rapid share
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8478 on: January 19, 2012, 06:05:09 pm »

Yep. Rapidshare would be the other one.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: January 19, 2012, 06:05:21 pm »

Two possibly relevant things.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: January 19, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »

I remember Rapidshare being alot nicer last time I went there.  I swear they used to be absolutely awful.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:03 pm »

It's not dead just yet. They're going to fight for their internets. They've done nothing wrong.
They actually kind of where doing something wrong. Technically, they were violating the DMCA. (they were not, in fact, taking down content, just links to it. Content still remained on their server and was relinked later. It's a side effect of how their software works, but they should have insured it didn't work that way)

On the other hand, I don't think they did anything wrong ENOUGH to get what they are getting - if anything, someone could have actually let them now they weren't in compliance (again, legal grey area)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: January 19, 2012, 06:16:20 pm »

"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: January 19, 2012, 07:23:01 pm »

My internet has been down since I early this morning. Just as I was about to try out some DLC that I bought it disconnected and only started working about a few minutes ago. Now I'm leaving in an hour, and I won't have time to check the DLC anyways.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: January 19, 2012, 09:45:29 pm »

When did it get so freakin' cold? I just had to jump a car in 6F/-14.4C temperatures. Fuck you, outside.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: January 20, 2012, 05:55:48 am »

I decided to send a letter concerning economic policy to a newspaper. While googling about, I found a webpage that sent your letter to EVERY newspaper in my country. So I thought "cool!" pasted it and sent it.

Then I checked, and it turns out that app belongs to some conservative youth group. I am suddenly very worried that they'll watermark my letter and I'll show up in every newspaper in the country as associated to these guys.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: January 20, 2012, 06:43:22 am »

As long as its signed 'ChairmanPoo' you should be fine
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: January 20, 2012, 07:07:03 am »

It isn't, thats the problem.

At least I did not use my second surname
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:29 am »

With the Mega- network down, I can't watch any more Star Trek Voyager. I had just finished the fifth season.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: January 20, 2012, 10:47:20 am »

Look for other  sources. They are there. They've always been there. Megaupload makes people lazy
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 3345