Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699288 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: TOILET RAEG Edition
« Reply #8400 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:03 pm »

Shouldn't that be the job of...oh, I dunno, the Department of Defense?

Or the National Security Agency.  Or the Central Intelligence Agency.  Or the United States Army.  Or the ... ... ...

Fuckity fuck fuck.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/01/15/2254211/dhs-x-ray-car-scanners-now-at-border-crossings

In order to penetrate the frame of a car, these xray machines have to be at least 3 times more powerful than a ct scan. And those already pose a significant enough cancer risk that their use is highly restricted. So they are going to be irradiating millions of people at far higher levels than are safe. If they end up scanning a million travelers, thousands maybe 10s of thousands could be be given cancer and thousands of those may die.

My mom is for this policy because she's worried about uranium and plutonium being smuggled into the US from Mexico.

Fuck my life, seriously.

That wouldn't work anyway...the containers they use to transport nuclear material are opaque to x-rays because they tend to be made of very thick lead.  Lead is a great shield for almost any radiation, whether electromagnetic or nuclear.

That aside, there are easier ways to sneak nuclear material into America.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: January 15, 2012, 11:59:00 pm »

Wouldn't it be more the National Guard, not the Army in this case?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: January 16, 2012, 12:02:20 am »

That wouldn't work anyway...the containers they use to transport nuclear material are opaque to x-rays because they tend to be made of very thick lead.  Lead is a great shield for almost any radiation, whether electromagnetic or nuclear.

Precisedly. Any container that is opaque to X-rays will be deemed suspicious and stopped.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: January 16, 2012, 12:07:41 am »

My mom's a bit paranoid.  She's very creative, but like me, it can make her look really crazy as she goes down the list of things she honestly considers possible.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: January 16, 2012, 12:10:09 am »

Wouldn't it be more the National Guard, not the Army in this case?

That actually depends what the threat is, or more accurately, where it is.  In America, it is illegal for the military to be deployed in domestic matters.  That's the job of the police.  Of course, if you can claim the threat is of international origin (declare it terrorism and you're set), then the Army can get involved.  As far as that law is concerned...things like the FBI and US Marshalls count as domestic agencies even though they may be acting abroad.  I'm not sure where the various states National Guards or the Military Police come in...  The Guard might count as both.  Formally, the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard count as the regular army.  The National Guard formally counts as the militia.

Precisedly. Any container that is opaque to X-rays will be deemed suspicious and stopped.

Then they will be stopping every single car that goes through.  I doubt it.  I'm guessing it will be ignored if that's the only thing that looks strange.

My mom's a bit paranoid.  She's very creative, but like me, it can make her look really crazy as she goes down the list of things she honestly considers possible.

Doesn't sound so bad.  Most people look downright insane when you start asking them if they believe certain things are possible.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8405 on: January 16, 2012, 12:48:26 am »

Comment on Ars Technica:

"...for all intensive purposes..."
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:24 am »

Comment on Ars Technica:

"...for all intensive purposes..."
*facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: January 16, 2012, 03:11:42 am »

Must be some pretty intensive purposes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: January 16, 2012, 03:50:23 am »

I had to delay updating my LP again because one of my acquaintances went on an internet rampage. He organized the first meeting of the local Occupy group, but has since decided that he hates everything about the movement and its goals. He was one of the moderators of our Facebook group where we coordinate things. He changed the profile picture to something incredibly offensive, removed all the other administrators, and deletes any posts people make in the group. I'll be calling him about it tomorrow, but I had to spend the past few hours tracking down alternate contact information for more than a hundred people to get them into the backup group I made.

It is now about 1:00 AM here. Needless to say, I'm a bit pissed off about the whole debacle.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: January 16, 2012, 04:09:18 am »

I had to delay updating my LP again because one of my acquaintances went on an internet rampage. He organized the first meeting of the local Occupy group, but has since decided that he hates everything about the movement and its goals. He was one of the moderators of our Facebook group where we coordinate things. He changed the profile picture to something incredibly offensive, removed all the other administrators, and deletes any posts people make in the group. I'll be calling him about it tomorrow, but I had to spend the past few hours tracking down alternate contact information for more than a hundred people to get them into the backup group I made.

It is now about 1:00 AM here. Needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated by this whole debacle.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: January 16, 2012, 04:49:14 am »

Did you press quote instead of edit?
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: January 16, 2012, 07:38:39 am »

High school lied to me again!

D:<
Look at the comment of that vid!
Are you sure it's YouTube you linked us to?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: January 16, 2012, 10:47:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:42 am »

The MafiaaFire guys made a plugin to do just that with the proxies thing, I don't remember which one it was, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 3345