Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693162 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fictious Lemonade Edition
« Reply #7875 on: December 07, 2011, 04:55:50 pm »

I am simultaneously bored, and overworked. I am pulled in different directions by different bosses. I can't really concentrate on anything and I am swapping between two different computers. I don't like my job, i don't like my (lack of) any meaningful human contact,  i don't like my countries politics, i don't like my state politics, my cat is a self righteous prick who likes to stand in front of the tv and yowl or spill any cup of liquid or box of tools left on a shelf, table or counter.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fictious Lemonade Edition
« Reply #7876 on: December 07, 2011, 05:38:20 pm »

I am extremely annoyed. The crickets for my frogs are eating out the goddamn decorative foam wall (which now has huge holes in it) and also noming the hell out of the live plants (which isn't such a big thing but still annoying).

Seriously, WHAT THE HELL IS SO TASTY ABOUT FOAM?! WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY GAIN FROM EATING FOAM?!

Urgh. I just want to kill the one who is eating the back wall so bad. Problem is that he's in the wall. So, I decided to tape over the wall hole where he is. Enjoy dying of starvation and/or oxygen deprivation, jerk.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: December 07, 2011, 05:44:52 pm »

I am extremely annoyed. The crickets for my frogs are eating out the goddamn decorative foam wall (which now has huge holes in it) and also noming the hell out of the live plants (which isn't such a big thing but still annoying).

Seriously, WHAT THE HELL IS SO TASTY ABOUT FOAM?! WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY GAIN FROM EATING FOAM?!

Urgh. I just want to kill the one who is eating the back wall so bad. Problem is that he's in the wall. So, I decided to tape over the wall hole where he is. Enjoy dying of starvation and/or oxygen deprivation, jerk.
You require addition methane gas!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: December 07, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »

I am simultaneously bored, and overworked. I am pulled in different directions by different bosses. I can't really concentrate on anything and I am swapping between two different computers. I don't like my job, i don't like my (lack of) any meaningful human contact,  i don't like my countries politics, i don't like my state politics, my cat is a self righteous prick who likes to stand in front of the tv and yowl or spill any cup of liquid or box of tools left on a shelf, table or counter.

Exactly the same here (even the two computers thing), but replace cat with human toddler.  Angst bro-fist?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: December 08, 2011, 12:42:47 am »

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine about slavery today, specifically about the case of a man who bought a bunch of slaves to immediately release them from servitude. Said acquaintance thought that by buying the slaves, he was pro-slavery. Nothing I said could deter him from this. And then I realized; that's almost normal for where I live.

I can't wait to move to not-here.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: December 08, 2011, 12:52:05 am »

Actually, that's an interesting case that I think works out to being slightly pro-slavery, given that while he does free some people, the money he spent on doing so is going to be immediately invested into obtaining more slaves and a profit for the slaver besides. I suppose that depends on the slaver's resources, though; if getting more people to sell isn't possible, then all the person in question has done is provide an economic reward for the practice of slavery, which I think is outweighed by the benefit of actually creating freedom for some people.

Still, it'd be nice if the person you were talking to actually considered your arguments. I expect a failure to give any weight to the possibility that you were correct is the reason for the rage, but eh. And I could be thinking about it incorrectly as well.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: December 08, 2011, 01:07:13 am »

That was the source of the rage, yeah. I hadn't considered the economic aspect, but the argument was more about the morals of it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: December 08, 2011, 01:15:40 am »

Oh, yeah, well. I don't think that in any case you could argue that the person is pro-slavery, since freeing slaves isn't ever really pro-slavery. It's just that some fallout is possible, but that's just an unfortunate side effect. There's no sane reason to buy slaves, only to release them, if you actually think slavery is acceptable. You'd keep them and put them to work, or just make a donation to the slaver, but you wouldn't waste what you think of as a product. As rotten as I feel even referring to people that way.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: December 08, 2011, 01:30:29 am »

To put another case. You have an example of a sentient being (talking animal, alien, whatever). Through fear of the consequences (exploitation, bigotry, others that you can imagine) you prevent them from leaving a certain safe area. Is it slavery to force them to work to support themselves?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: December 08, 2011, 01:52:34 am »

I think it mostly depends on what you do to keep them from leaving. The more dishonest or coercive the methods, the closer to slavery.
Soaplent green is goblins!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: December 08, 2011, 03:05:09 am »

Eventful day. Exams have finally destroyed my sleep schedule. Tuesday night's sleep was an hour on a couch from 5-6 AM, and Wednesday night's was this nap from 7-11 PM I took earlier. Hopefully I'll get another nap in but I've got to write a paper and study for a literature exam.

Also, my roommate and best friend has to leave next semester because his idiot father has procrastinated too long on getting in the forms for financial aid. So he's going to spend winter break and next semester working to get an apartment, because he doesn't want to live on his uncle's couch like his recently evicted dad has been for the past couple months.

I'm going to go home to my normal family and get a nice, cushy bed to sleep in while he gets to work his ass off to get away from his family, half of which won't speak to him because he's gay. And all I can do is let him keep some of his stuff in our room over the break. I want to help more but I've got no clue how.

I'm confident in his ability to get by on his own, at least. I know he'll be able to get himself out of his current situation, but he doesn't deserve to be in it and it's going to be a shitty month or two for him until he's out of it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: December 08, 2011, 04:02:37 am »

To put another case. You have an example of a sentient being (talking animal, alien, whatever). Through fear of the consequences (exploitation, bigotry, others that you can imagine) you prevent them from leaving a certain safe area. Is it slavery to force them to work to support themselves?
Think about it the same way as a human: if you have a human that is being chased by the mob/assassins/oppressive government, and will be killed/tortured if found, would it be slavery if you imprisoned them (for their safety) and made them work?
The answer is obviously yes.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: December 08, 2011, 11:39:59 am »

People were listening to terrible music and watching some garfield cartoon on the computers in the library today. Without headphones. And the ass watching the cartoon was talking to it.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: December 08, 2011, 11:57:53 am »

People were listening to terrible music and watching some garfield cartoon on the computers in the library today. Without headphones. And the ass watching the cartoon was talking to it.
Oh gog library horror stories.  I've only been doing this for three months and I have quite a few.

Although most involve people letting their cellphone ring for over ten minutes and really loud bad rap.  If I was more assertive I would be like "Cut that shit out!" but I just wait for the library staff to realize that no, the person isn't ever going to answer their phone, it will just ring...forever

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: December 08, 2011, 12:41:57 pm »

Had a nice pleasant wake up, for what should be a productive day.  Alright.  Like most mornings, cat is on my bed.

"Hello cat."  Rub rub rub.  "Yes, good morning."  Purr purr purr.  "Alright cat."  Rub rub rub.  "Getting up now."  Rub rub rub.

I pry myself out of bed, and take a piss.  Come back to find cat sitting in the middle of the bed.  There's also cat puke on the bed... And it's not fresh.

Sweet somersaulting Jesus, I was sleeping in cat puke today.  I am going to wring that furry bastard's little neck.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 3345