Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694010 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Angry at Numbers! Edition
« Reply #7065 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:09 pm »

Do you have any idea the amount of drama that goes on at the upper levels of churches? Accusations fly, people entrench themselves trying to find any way they can to hold on to their positions, and these spaces can become some of the most uncomfortable places in the world when you have one person threatening to tear down the entire church with a legal threat. Then absolutely no one talks about it outside of rumours and that work area.

This woman is in the right, but this precedent will cause bloodshed.
Why does that apply any more to churches than other organizations?  And is giving churches blanket immunity to any kind of employment law (which they can apparently easily extend to cover almost completely nonreligious teachers) really the way to prevent this "bloodshed"?
Churches have multiple complications in hiring practices, and the way they pay their employees already. I'm not arguing for blanket immunity, as obviously that's going to cause many more problems. What I am arguing for is that this is not a cut-and-dry issue, and if not handled carefully could result in more problems than already exist.

So assuming she's taking treatment....what could POSSIBLY be the issue? Unless the Lutherans are anti-medicine. Are they?
Honestly, I have no idea why. I'm actually honestly surprised by this. Lutherans are pro-medicine as far as I knew.

That's... possibly true, but completely irrelevant?  Why do churches need to ignore anti-disability discrimination laws in order to teach people about a certain religion?
They don't. They do need to ignore some discrimination laws already though because it would not go over well if they could be sued for not allowing people who didn't share their beliefs to become ministers in the first place. Like I have said before though, this woman is being unfairly discriminated against.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Angry at Numbers! Edition
« Reply #7066 on: October 05, 2011, 08:07:26 pm »

What I am arguing for is that this is not a cut-and-dry issue, and if not handled carefully could result in more problems than already exist.

I agree. Can you imagine if female employees of the Church could legally sue for sex-discrimination in pay, benefits ect....? I'm not making a case for or against it, but people should consider how insulated the operations of religious organizations are from federal law. This is not a small issue, it speaks to many limits on the federal government's power over religious institutions, for good or bad.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:09 pm »

I agree. Can you imagine if female employees of the Church could legally sue for sex-discrimination in pay, benefits ect....?
I very much can.  But if you want to protect the rights of sexist churches to discriminate against women then that can surely be done in a better way (such as allowing churches to ignore discrimination laws only where it's their doctrine that's conflicting with them).

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: October 05, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »

I agree. Can you imagine if female employees of the Church could legally sue for sex-discrimination in pay, benefits ect....?
I very much can.  But if you want to protect the rights of sexist churches to discriminate against women then that can surely be done in a better way (such as allowing churches to ignore discrimination laws only where it's their doctrine that's conflicting with them).

But how do you decide what is doctrine and what isn't? If you have two priests from the same church and ask them one question, you'll get three answers, and one of them won't have answered because of his beliefs.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: October 05, 2011, 08:26:30 pm »

This is an issue that is being addressed internally by the Lutheran church in many places. A cursory search yielded this.

Quote from: 2004
More than two-thirds of the Lutheran World Federation member churches — and over half of the world’s Lutheran communicants — ordain women. Moves go back as far as 1933 in Norway; Denmark permitted ordination of women in 1947. Whereas Czechoslovakia opened the doors to the study of theology by women as early as the 1920’s (Bachmann: 308), ordaining came only in 1951. Sweden has ordained women since 1959. Lutherans in France began to do so prior to 1962, and by 1968 nearly all of the German Churches were doing so. Currently eleven women hold leadership positions on the level of bishop or president of their churches (the same figure as that being cited for the Anglican communion at this year’s Lambeth conference).
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: October 05, 2011, 08:51:28 pm »

This quote is an example why most of the Fallout modding community sucks.

With the autistic savant perk you are granted enhanced reflexes and heightened senses. You can now reload, draw and fire you're weapon freakishly fast. You also have telekinetic energy that radiates from you giving all attacks an extra push for crazy knock-back effects. Due to the high metabolic nature of autism you will be immune to poison. You're skin shimmers with a gel that no flame can penetrate. You can even throw things really far and fast!

The only downside is that people will think you are creepy or strange because of how you act.

Yes, this is an actual mod.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: October 05, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They might as well have named it "IDDQD, IDKFA" mod and saved themselves the bother of typing all that shit up.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: October 05, 2011, 09:10:24 pm »

With the autistic savant perk you are granted enhanced reflexes and heightened senses. You can now reload, draw and fire you're weapon freakishly fast. You also have telekinetic energy that radiates from you giving all attacks an extra push for crazy knock-back effects. Due to the high metabolic nature of autism you will be immune to poison. You're skin shimmers with a gel that no flame can penetrate. You can even throw things really far and fast!

The only downside is that people will think you are creepy or strange because of how you act.

Wait, this is the autistic savant? Don't people with autism have poor hand-eye co-ordination? Where do you get telekinesis from? Why do you get immunity to poison? Why can you throw rocks further? Why do you get immunity to flames?

Also, bolded another error.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: October 05, 2011, 09:11:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They might as well have named it "IDDQD, IDKFA" mod and saved themselves the bother of typing all that shit up.
What sucks even more is that the Fallout Nexus does not support Criticism of ANY kind. If the mod maker can't handle people dissaproving of the mod, he'll get the admins to just ban them.

Most of the bans on the Nexus are mainly people responding with criticism to a really stupid mod.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: October 06, 2011, 12:49:06 am »

Are you sure that's not a parody? If that's not a parody, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:51 am »

Sorry Barbarossa, there is only one round left in the magazine, and I engraved my name on it. Guess your going to have to live in a world were people are punished for criticizing stupidity.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: October 06, 2011, 12:52:43 am »

Wow, that is surprisingly offensive >:I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: October 06, 2011, 01:04:04 am »

Wow, that is surprisingly offensive >:I
The mod or the analysis? I think you mean the mod, but then again, I am on the internet.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:19 am »

The mod.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: October 06, 2011, 01:07:15 am »

I'm going to assume anything with the phrase "Due to the high metabolic nature of autism you will be immune to poison" takes predominance as the offensive thing in question.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 3345