Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695854 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6180 on: August 25, 2011, 09:23:25 am »

yea. I don't buy big name games any more for this reason. I only play browser and indie games now, though I do buy a lot of my indie games from steam.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: August 25, 2011, 09:32:14 am »

Why not find a way to organize an internet-wide boycott of EA and Origin until they stop doing this ridiculousness?  At least, well, I wish I knew how to set up something like that.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: August 25, 2011, 09:36:44 am »

Neighbors are disturbing my newly found habit of reading books on the terrace.
It's either their noisy kids, a overly loud radio or them doing indecent things (from the sound of it) to each other in the pool.

I probably should just use this opportunity to get over my inability to concentrate in noisy ambience.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: August 25, 2011, 09:43:30 am »

Why not find a way to organize an internet-wide boycott of EA and Origin until they stop doing this ridiculousness?  At least, well, I wish I knew how to set up something like that.

Well for one, the EULA in many ways reads just like other EULAs on this subject. What fuels all of this is a lot of stuff in the context around the game. EA's past attitude. EA's obvious drive to set themselves up in the DD market and compete with Steam. All the IP enforcement stuff going on in Congress. There's stuff surrounding the issue that makes people anxious, but you could argue the specific contents of the EULA aren't on their face unacceptable. I haven't compared it to Steam's EULA but others have and they say it's not super exceptional.

And two is that gamer boycotts have zero credibility with the average gamer, even if they have an excellent point. Games don't contain moral issues for most gamers, or if they do it's stuff like "CoD mass murder simulators are wrong." Games aren't fur coats, blood diamonds or child-labor sneakers. And while most gamers seem to be aware they have rights as consumers, they don't seem that worried about protecting them until they get bitten in the ass by their loss.

I'm confident there are plenty of people out there who will play watchdog. But like I said, it doesn't really help me in my decision. If this stuff honestly bothers me, I just shouldn't purchase.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: August 25, 2011, 11:42:56 am »

One of the benefits of not really caring about mainstream games is I don't have to deal with that kind of shit.

Last mainstream game I considered buying was starcraft 2. The region locking is what convinced me not to. Not regretting it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: August 25, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »

One of the benefits of not really caring about mainstream games is I don't have to deal with that kind of shit.

Last mainstream game I considered buying was starcraft 2. The region locking is what convinced me not to. Not regretting it.
One of the problems with that is that since you, and many of the people on B12 (like me) don't bother getting mainstream games (and even if we do we get them on a big sale), EA won't care what we do either way.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: August 25, 2011, 04:45:53 pm »

I don't really rage. I do get pretty damn frustrated, though.

I woke up this morning to drive my roommate to the train station for a week-long visit to his beau. When I return home, I find that my AT&T service had stopped working. I tried to fix it for some 2 hours, and eventually ducked into my roommate's room to take back my wireless adapter to try that. Lo and behold, he'd been squirreling away a pile of letters from AT&T on his desk. Bills, termination warnings, etc. He hadn't told me about them at all, and about a month's worth had been opened and read, so he knew all about them... including that they would be terminating our service on the same day he left.

I was planning to use Gmail and Googles VOIP phone service to keep in touch with people, contact jobs, etc., being that he just left with our only house phone for the week. Apparently he lacked the foresight to see how this was a problem, or even the decency to tell me that we'd gotten the bills. I could actually have taken care of it by myself, had I known... but now that there's a reactivation fee tacked on, I'll be unable to do it. I am now without any means to keep in touch with anyone, follow up on jobs I desperately need, or call anyone or anything in case of emergencies, until next month. Thank god for libraries with internet connections, I suppose.

God damn it, roommate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: August 25, 2011, 04:47:51 pm »

Rooooooooooomaaaaaaaaate!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6188 on: August 25, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »

Could be worse. I had a room mate skip town, leaving me a $4000 phone bill in my name.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: August 25, 2011, 04:54:15 pm »

Throw his stuff out and change the locks.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: August 25, 2011, 05:20:11 pm »

Or, contact someone in his family and feed them information they could not know, and together engage in bizarre and elaborate pranks, with the ultimate aim of inducing crippling paranoia. Then, afterward, tell him and offer him therapy. When he finally starts returning to normal, fill his room with cereal.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: August 25, 2011, 05:28:14 pm »

Or, contact someone in his family and feed them information they could not know, and together engage in bizarre and elaborate pranks, with the ultimate aim of inducing crippling paranoia. Then, afterward, tell him and offer him therapy. When he finally starts returning to normal, fill his room with cereal.

No, fill it with Lion King plushies. Filled with cereal.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: August 25, 2011, 05:32:39 pm »

And cameras. With various and inappropriate government logos stamped on them, such as the Department of Transportation, the Department of Hunter-Killer Satellites, the Sterilization Commission, and the Department of the New World Order.

Then walk in wearing a robe and carrying a single black candle.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: August 25, 2011, 05:33:25 pm »

That's terrifying.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: August 25, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »

If you're feeling lazy, just get the family member you contact to ensure guilting ensues until you have the opportunity to do it yourself. But seriously, cereal-room-camera-candle-cloak is the way to go.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 3345