Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693274 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, but dude, think about NYC.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about it? It's not like I've ever been there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I went to NYC for a week when I was younger. I also do not know what Vector is trying to say.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile

wait wait let me guess...
A reference to dirty homless people's access to free public porta potties?

No? that's not it at all? I'm giving up.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

You have to pay to get into public restrooms there? That's kind of sad in its own way.

Some are coin-op. It's cheap though, I think it's half an euro maximum - of course, that too may be too much for some. I think the coin-ops were started to combat vandalism, not as an actual fundraiser, but now I think they're planning to remove the coin slots and possibly replace them with something else. One suggestion I heard about was SMS-based system with no charge other than what the teleoperator charges for the message - it would certainly be very Finnish to overcome difficulties with haute technologie.

For the broadest definition of public restroom though, most are actually free. Libraries always have free restrooms, as do health centers and uh... what's the English name for that... outdoor lodges? Small buildings that are typically near hiking/skiing paths and offer maps, cafeteria services and often equipment maintenance and rental. Nice pitstops when going out to cycle or something. They're lovely, and they're plentiful here. Helsinki isn't that bad after all it seems.

Schools also have free restrooms for their students, but I wouldn't recommend visiting one for the sole purpose of it...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh.  When I've been, at least, it's been pretty gross in the way that Kay12 was describing, and I think I remember something about pay toilets.

Or maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else... drat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile

what's the English name for that... outdoor lodges? Small buildings that are typically near hiking/skiing paths and offer maps, cafeteria services and often equipment maintenance and rental. Nice pitstops when going out to cycle or something.
I'm pretty sure you got it right on your first guess. We just call them lodges.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Sometimes you won't have half a euro on you when you need to go. No wonder the streets end up so dirty.
For the broadest definition of public restroom though, most are actually free. Libraries always have free restrooms, as do health centers and uh... what's the English name for that... outdoor lodges? Small buildings that are typically near hiking/skiing paths and offer maps, cafeteria services and often equipment maintenance and rental. Nice pitstops when going out to cycle or something. They're lovely, and they're plentiful here. Helsinki isn't that bad after all it seems.
The closest thing I've ever seen to something like that is a shelter near the entrance to a hiking trail. None of the services you mentioned though, just a roof, some benches, and a firepit. Then again, there is no place to ski in this part of NC, so perhaps it's just something limited to areas where one can indeed ski.

I'm not sure what you would define an indoor lodge as, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a cool restroom in Helsinki, at the hotel the soviet union used after WWII. It's on the top floor, and a whole wall is made of clear glass, so you get a good view of the traffic below as you sit on the can.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

Sometimes you won't have half a euro on you when you need to go. No wonder the streets end up so dirty.

Yep... and of the alternatives I listed, guess which ones are open at 4 o'clock AM? Replacing the system with something else would be appropriate.

The closest thing I've ever seen to something like that is a shelter near the entrance to a hiking trail. None of the services you mentioned though, just a roof, some benches, and a firepit. Then again, there is no place to ski in this part of NC, so perhaps it's just something limited to areas where one can indeed ski.

I'm not sure what you would define an indoor lodge as, though.

Masonic lodge? :)

In any case, the only thing I hate about those lodges is their pricing. Somewhat acceptable because of their specialized locations, but still... I've had better pastries for less than 40% of the prize!

There's a cool restroom in Helsinki, at the hotel the soviet union used after WWII. It's on the top floor, and a whole wall is made of clear glass, so you get a good view of the traffic below as you sit on the can.

Hotel Torni? Another anecdote about it - the restaurant near the top was supposedly the only speakeasy that wasn't busted even once during the prohibition... they had an alarm button in the elevator, and the piccolo was instructed to press it whenever someone suspiciously inspectory came in, giving the people upstairs enough time to hide the booze.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wasted 12.6€ on the wrong ticket.
Stupid ticket machine. You'll always make mistakes when in a hurry.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

A Swedish "county" decided they needed to make some more property into houses to lure new inhabitants, but this costs money. Obviously. Their fucking solution? Charge the few families already owning property in the area for it. 750 000 Swedish Crowns. Each. That is 120 000 US dollars, people! For something the propertyeers have nothing to do with! And how do they justify this? Well, "the owners will get street lights and sidewalks". AS IF THEY FUCKING GIVE A DAMN ABOUT LIGHTS AND SIDEWALKS WHEN THEY HAVE TO TAKE LOANS TO PAY FOR BULLSHIT THEY NEVER ASKED FOR.

And what's worse? I heard that that sum was just for one of the owners, and that other people have been giving preliminary sums of up to 2 million Crowns - 315 000 USD. WHAT THE HELL POLITICIANS.

There is no fucking words to describe what this is. It is beyond preposterousity. This isn't fucking reality.
Love, scriver~

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

Life's a bitch, fuck it.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

A Swedish "county" decided they needed to make some more property into houses to lure new inhabitants, but this costs money. Obviously. Their fucking solution? Charge the few families already owning property in the area for it. 750 000 Swedish Crowns. Each. That is 120 000 US dollars, people! For something the propertyeers have nothing to do with! And how do they justify this? Well, "the owners will get street lights and sidewalks". AS IF THEY FUCKING GIVE A DAMN ABOUT LIGHTS AND SIDEWALKS WHEN THEY HAVE TO TAKE LOANS TO PAY FOR BULLSHIT THEY NEVER ASKED FOR.

And what's worse? I heard that that sum was just for one of the owners, and that other people have been giving preliminary sums of up to 2 million Crowns - 315 000 USD. WHAT THE HELL POLITICIANS.

There is no fucking words to describe what this is. It is beyond preposterousity. This isn't fucking reality.

Wait, so let me get this straight. They're seizing land owned by private citizens and then charging whoever happened to own it for the privilege of losing their property?

EDIT: MIGUEL, YOU SON OF A BITCH. When I use a spell that makes it so that nobody, including myself, is allowed to cast spells, it is NOT ALLOWED TO MISS YOU.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:30:39 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

No, it's county property as far as I know - but the county is charging private citizen neighbours for the county's building project on county property, that the county is going to earn money from (by sale or rent) later on.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 3345