Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692699 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

A sale is a type of transaction. It does not contain a transaction. If somebody else tries to justify having a transaction in the class diagram, I will kill them.
I promise that:
  • They will die
  • It will be painful
  • It will be slow
  • I will enjoy it

Add that to your functional requirements! Now go to the back of the room and try not to talk.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

Fair enough, but the fandom still scares the bejesus out of me. I've never been one for pop-culture obsessions; they've always creeped me out.

This is not as much about fandom, it was more like either obsession taken to the extreme or excessive self-irony... or then he was under the assumption I like it that much as well and it was a poorly-thought social maneuver.

Heck, I like lots of fiction. Kurt Vonnegut is my favorite - I'd sooner give up MLP and a hundred other series than Kurt Vonnegut's books. But even then I'm not spouting Kurt Vonnegut stuff everywhere - except the occasional So it goes wherever appropriate...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

A sale is a type of transaction. It does not contain a transaction. If somebody else tries to justify having a transaction in the class diagram, I will kill them.
I promise that:
  • They will die
  • It will be painful
  • It will be slow
  • I will enjoy it

Add that to your functional requirements! Now go to the back of the room and try not to talk.
I'm sensing some hostility...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is not as much about fandom, it was more like either obsession taken to the extreme or excessive self-irony... or then he was under the assumption I like it that much as well and it was a poorly-thought social maneuver.

Heck, I like lots of fiction. Kurt Vonnegut is my favorite - I'd sooner give up MLP and a hundred other series than Kurt Vonnegut's books. But even then I'm not spouting Kurt Vonnegut stuff everywhere - except the occasional So it goes wherever appropriate...

That basically is fandom. When I say "fandom", I don't mean "people who like something", I mean people to whom being a fan of that thing is an incredibly significant part of their identity.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Hrm, I dunno; I'd say hobbies and interests are one of the bigger things that determine "who you are." Unless you're weirded out by people who obsess over *one* thing, then yeah. Agreed there.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That basically is fandom. When I say "fandom", I don't mean "people who like something", I mean people to whom being a fan of that thing is an incredibly significant part of their identity.

True, that... but again, this guy went too far even as fandom goes. My little brother is a fan of a hockey team - or as I put it, a fan of a hockey brand as he'll like them even if they switch the entire team. He discusses things other than the hockey brand, he doesn't try to force others to like the same brand... meanwhile, the guy I was supposed to discuss stigmergy with was spewing that pony stuff all around.

It's not the ponies though... I like them, enough to watch the first series at least. Most pony fans seem to be fairly sane. And this guy's a bit weird anyway. He's really smart (we were going to discuss stigmergy) but some force drives him to do that stuff.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd say the friend gushing over a newly-discovered favorite franchise is fairly common phenomena, going back decades with movies bands etc.

"I love ponies! Do you love ponies! What you don't love ponies?!? Surely if I tell you about the ponies some more you'll love them too!"

Several factors could be relevant - cognitive dissonance, really believing you're spreading the joy, as well as affirmation of the love he's feeling for the series, and (sub?)concious desire to have those feelings reflected back from others. He needs a Pony Club to hang/chat with, lacking this he's trying to create converts out of readily available individuals.

If symptoms persist > a few weeks, then it's a problem.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:54:58 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Again, true, but that doesn't really help it...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

"I love X there for everybody loves X, and lack of loving X is just because they do not know enough about X!"
~Every human ever

Seriously, that is just part of the human condition, lots of people do it for one subject or another once you get them going.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To me, that seems a bit immature, I haven't done that since elementary school... and even then, some people actually got interested in the stuff I was pushing them! :)

On the other hand, this wouldn't be the only thing where I didn't behave quite like the Average Joe/Jill of my age...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Ok, I admit not every one does that, but I find it to be far too common to just be something you grow out of.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did. I see the reason behind this behavior in the way he was raised... his parents are overprotective luddites - you could say he was raised in a barrel, so I can't really blame him for his lack of social sense.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

If he's simply lacking sense just be more up front to him about it, as he's obviously not seeing the more subtle clues. If he's anything like me he'll switch to super apologetic that he was smothering you.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe I should... if he doesn't grow tired of forcing the pony meme, I'll notify him of it.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile

Ask.com toolbar and, most importantly, its search engine redirect. The thing is like a bad rash. It will just NOT go away.

I hope that whoever coded it dies a slow, painful death. Preferably involving solider or fire ants.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 3345