Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689605 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Context Confusion
« Reply #5865 on: August 15, 2011, 08:06:17 pm »

You were referring to me, weren't you?

If not, sorry, the context made me think you were.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:07:48 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is ein's fullstop mark, and she's said so in this thread, so you know it is now as well. It is not affecting the sentence anymore than no punctuation does. If you're so irritated about a single character then use the dang ignore function already, G-Flex.

Why do you have to be so irritated by my being irritated? I mean, I know I irritate easily, but enough people have sympathized with me here that it's not like I'm an isolated case. A significant amount of people find it aggravating. And when I think someone is doing something aggravating, I think the reasonable thing to do is let them know.

Strictly speaking, it does affect it more than no punctuation does, because a lack of a meaningful symbol doesn't necessarily trip me up as much, or in the same way, as a symbol whose meaning is unclear. If I say "I'm leaving tomorrow", that's a different sort of ambiguity (where I am leaving to?) than saying "I'm leaving to go to fnord tomorrow" (what or where is "fnord"?). There's also the fact that I'm very much used to seeing text with no end-of-sentence punctuation on the Internet, because it's fairly common and doesn't really result in confusion, whereas tildes-as-full-stops isn't something I've seen at all. I think she's getting it from that overused-in-anime-and-fansubs Japanese thing where you use a tilde/wave-dash to elongate the vowel sound at the end of a word, but Christ, not even they use it as a stop. Oddly enough, it seems like her communicative style in general is heavily derived from bad Engrish fansub-type language, which is something I find incredibly bizarre and sort of fascinating from a linguistic/sociological point of view.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

Say what you will about the tildes, it costs me no extra time typing it, nor does it cost extra because it bothers people~
Bicker all you want, it's not worth my time, and is only wasting your own~ :b

Furthermore, it may seem like a significant amount of people find it aggravating, but that would be a vocal minority~
The majority of people don't give a shit~

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Say what you will about the tildes, it costs me no extra time typing it, nor does it cost extra because it bothers people~

It would also cost you no extra time to type in a manner that doesn't bother anyone at all.

Furthermore, it may seem like a significant amount of people find it aggravating, but that would be a vocal minority~
The majority of people don't give a shit~

Out of the set of people who have cared to voice an opinion, a very significant proportion have leaned towards being annoyed. I don't know that either of us can say what proportion that is of people who read your posts in general, and we could probably argue for a little while speculating over that and what factors might be used to determine that, but I think it's more useful to just say that if something you're doing doesn't really serve much of a purpose, doesn't save you any time, doesn't add any communicative value to what you say, and bothers multiple people, you might want to consider not doing it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Eh, whatever, I'm not going to argue it further; This isn't the yell at people about tiny things thread, its the RAGE thread~
But how many is 'significant'?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Well, since it seems to need voicing, I feel that the Internet can best express the exact amount of concern I devote to ein's use of tildes. Not that "I don't mind, so you shouldn't either" is valid, but just to provide counterevidence to your assertion about how many people agree with you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I dunno, the guy in the middle looks like he sorta cares. Eyes wide open and all.

I have a friend who uses tildes when she's feeling capricious so I don't really mind them~
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Goddam people, didn't we have this exact same argument back when somebody was signing their posts? it's petty to get this worked up over somebody you could just ignore. She doesn't even post that often or in too many threads, so you don't stumble across it that much.

If she had a ton of them in a row I would give some points to you for it being spamming and intentionally trying to get on some odors nerves. As it stands she only does it for her own purposes.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a friend who uses tildes when she's feeling capricious so I don't really mind them~

See, I could kind of understand that. But Ein doesn't use them that way, she literally just uses a tilde anywhere a typical English speaker would use a period. She even uses "~~~" as an ellipsis. If you're using tildes for some kind of emotive intent, I get that, but Ein just wholesale replaces periods with them regardless of what the tone of her post is like or any other factors. It's completely pointless.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

Actually, I think we had this discussion here a few weeks ago.

Didn't it get Breadbocks banned?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I doubt G-Flex is going to start threatening people or shouting down ein in other threads over this, dragging it out over the forum and making it one Giant Annoying Thing. I believe that was what the problem was with breadbocks.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Tilde-Rage is exactly why breadbocks was banned, but it was more from dragging it everywhere and having a 'I have a family full of English majors, and that is not how tildes work, damnit!' perspective instead of a 'It is pointless and there are loud people who agree with me, so stop being different from me guys!' one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

That and he got muted for threatening bodily harm, and pulled the same shit right after his mute ended~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I think that's more than enough from everyone, honest dialog and all. This is my blanket reminder to:

1. Not dwell on why people get banned here, specifically when it has to do with this thread.

2. Not to raeg at specific forum members, even over questionable use of alternative punctuation, posting style, ect....

In an effort to keep Toady from having to become involved or turning this into a re-tread of recent forum drama.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:22:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Installing Service Pack 1 caused my input devices to not work, so I tried a repair install. During the process I had to fiddle with the backend of my computer.

The mouse was not plugged in, it was some other USB thing. How did this even happen.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 3345