Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694893 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

You could link to it instead of being a smug ass.

Seems like it's not anything that's going to be too serious. It's likely just lawyers being lawyers.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

That's stupid. It's like if George Lucas would sue Intelligent Systems because Advance wars (as well as the se- and prequels) contain the word "Wars"

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

Yeah. They don't really have a case. So I doubt it was started by Bethesda themselves and I doubt notch has anything to worry about.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Yea but the problem is that it's a major hassle.  And expensive for all involved.

Also if Notch just says "fuck it", it creates a precedent that allows other lawyers to do similar things to other companies.  And if he does fight it it is an expensive long, and stressful process.  Kind of a lose lose.

I'm sure Notch has the cash to fight it, but it means he can spend quite a bit of time having to show up at court as lawyers jockey and delay.   Though I'm sure it can't be nearly as bad as how it is in the states.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:41:21 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I predict that the associated decrease in productivity if he fights it will result in his site(s) being DDoS'd again, or similar.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It ain't easy being Notch. Guy should win a trophy for "Most enmity ever earned by an indie dev for succeeding."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm sure Notch has the cash to fight it, but it means he can spend quite a bit of time having to show up at court as lawyers jockey and delay.
How much money does Notch even have? He's made a lot of money with Minecraft, but the tax rates in Sweden are some of the highest in the world. A great deal of his profits may have already gone to the government.

I guess he wouldn't be jumping to tell the public how much money he has, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

I think that he's a millionaire at least.

I'm not completely sure about that, though.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Almost got into a fistfight with a coworker at work. The boss asked me to clean out the cabinets of people's food, because of the huge ant problem with that corner of the warehouse, with the guy standing right there listening to the boss giving me those instructions. I set to the task of taking the food(all of which, was the stuff this guy had taken and stashed there and never took with him, instead just grabbing new stuff almost daily), and he suddenly gets all grabby and yells at me to get off his stuff. I simply told him to stop putting stuff in the cabinets, three times loud and clear, since the first two times he replied with an angry "What?!". The first time I wasn't sure he heard me, the second time just proves he was being a total asshole. The third time he responded with a fairly threatening remark, and then goes off on how he "shouldn't have to be talked to like that".

Okay, first, when you take stuff, actually take it home with you. This place is not your personal cupboard any more than it's your personal grocery store. Second, there's a frigging ant infestation, and your stuff is probably part of what's attracting them. Third, that stuff has been there for weeks. Move it or lose it.

Also, not truly raegy, but I just learned they put down our sick dog. Seems a bit odd to me, since he was showing signs of improvement, and my complete hatred for my stepdad limits my feelings of compassion to general impassivity.

Quote from: From that page
and that they demand a pile of money up front before the legal process has even started.
Suddenly a big red flag with the word "SCAM!" written on it just popped up.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire

Notch is rich enough that he didn't care when he accidentally spent an extra $2000 on the HIB.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

He made a great game and made fortune from it without screwing over the players, that's for sure.

And Akura, I feel for ya man. Too many idiots in the world, and you're unlucky to have to deal with a good many daily.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was trying to help someone with computer issues today, he had it worked on recently and pretty much everything inside was replaced. He didn't want to shell out the $100+ for a new copy of Windows 7, so the guys installed Windows 7 for him and let him find a cheaper activation code. I have access to a cheaper copy, but it's an upgrade only disk. No big deal, except you need to have an activated copy of Windows from which to upgrade. I figure I could just install a legitimate copy of Windows XP I have, and upgrade from there.

Wait, what the fuck? I need an activated copy of Windows to DOWNGRADE from? I can already think of a few ways to work around this, legal or otherwise, but that still seems pretty retarded to me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Protip: Install Windows 7, but don't activate it yet; choose the option to activate it later. Then, install Windows 7 again, "upgrading" from the one you just installed.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think my sister tried that and it didn't work, though I'm not entirely sure. Either way it's a bit late and I don't feel like doing anything more with it tonight. Just came as a bit of a surprise that Microsoft has these downgrade rights built into it, and while it may serve some purpose it somehow eludes me as to what that might be.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

It says it right there.

Most computers nowadays come with 7 preinstalled, but some buisnesses require vista for some stupid reason.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 3345