Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695164 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile

Huh, that stuff is giving me an idea to write a fiction about how God as we know him isn't really the creator of the universe, but rather trying to enslave the souls humanity through false promises of eternal reward, which is really just being eternal slaves to his will(which is more or less what real Christianity believes anyway), and that Satan isn't really ruler over Hell(God is, punishing those that don't submit to him), but is trying to free humanity from such single-minded servitude by giving us different ways of thinking, believing, and acting.

Could be interesting. My boss would completely freak out if he read it. It might piss off way to many people, though.
It's been written a few times by now, actually, and it's almost a constant theme in fantasy novels that involve religion that are not written by devout members of a religion. And sometimes even by devout members of the religion, IIRC.

I happen to be part of a branch that doesn't believe satan is ruling Hell, but that it is a prison for him as well. CS Lewis actually wrote a good essay on why the dualism present in mainstream Christianity today is a dogma built up by cautionary tales over the last couple of millennia.

^ This.
This is something most people don't notice/pay attention to.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I noticed that Augustine rejected the idea of pure evil categorically (because anything that exists can be further corrupted, and must therefore have some measure of good in it).

Do you happen to know the name of that essay, Willfor?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This really isnt the place to discutss that too much you know?
^

I realize that any time Christianity is briefly mentioned there has to be a giant discussion on Young Earth Creationism, the finer points of the divide Catholic and Protestant faiths, and God's role within the physics of the universe. But come on guys.
I very much agree with this guy. Or gal. Or it, if that's the way you roll.

As for RAEG, I got to fight with the registration sites for not one, but two colleges that I'm attending this semester. All because a class at one had a 40-minute overlap with a class at the other, I got to spend a good hour or so trying to fix it. And the fix doesn't even work if I can't get into a class through the waitlist.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

Yeah, I noticed that Augustine rejected the idea of pure evil categorically (because anything that exists can be further corrupted, and must therefore have some measure of good in it).

Do you happen to know the name of that essay, Willfor?
I thought it was in one of his independent essays, but when I was looking through trying to find it, it turned out to be in Mere Christianity, Book 2, Chapter 2.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile

I just spent all last night and a sizable amount of today cramming to finish my opening case as a replacement in a 57 page long mafia game before Night ended, only to find that Night isn't going to end until tomorrow. Rrrrrgh.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I am raging about the fact that the RAGE thread has become a religion thread. This is why I tend to avoid poking into them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am raging about the fact that the RAGE thread has become a religion thread. This is why I tend to avoid poking into them.

So you're raging in the rage thread, because the rage thread is a religion thread and not a rage thread.

Edited for unnecessary agressiveness. My point remains, however, that if you're raging (and I'm clearly raging at this), it's a rage thread.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:45:17 am by Vertigon »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Well, to be fair, if we're debating religion in this thread it really should be "Wrath of an Angry God" type stuff. Not "Blissfully aloof geometry of physics God."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects

Paying for patches.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Patches for what?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Patches for what?
Im assuming video games.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

Mojang's being sued.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile

Mojang's being sued.

Over what, and by who?

Don't rage if you don't know the details, it might be completely justified.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

Mojang's being sued.

Over what, and by who?

Don't rage if you don't know the details, it might be completely justified.
Go read the story on Word of Notch.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 3345