Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3250 3251 [3252] 3253 3254 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695541 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FahRAGEheit Edition
« Reply #48765 on: January 09, 2015, 12:14:52 pm »

The sad thing is that crappy website design is more of a motivation to avoid it than terrible ethics.

Probably because crappy design actually affects the everyday user.

Tv tropes terrible ethics? How so?
Yo.
I'm glad I got a big heaping bowl of tvtropes before it all went to hell.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48766 on: January 09, 2015, 12:25:07 pm »

The sad thing is that crappy website design is more of a motivation to avoid it than terrible ethics.

Probably because crappy design actually affects the everyday user.

Tv tropes terrible ethics? How so?
Yo.

Thank you for the link my friend, that was informative.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48767 on: January 09, 2015, 01:38:56 pm »

my god the new firefox

it's so TERRIBLE
._.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48768 on: January 09, 2015, 01:40:17 pm »

my god the new firefox

it's so TERRIBLE
Note to self, do not update. Adding it to the same list as skype now.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48769 on: January 09, 2015, 01:46:17 pm »

my god the new firefox

it's so TERRIBLE
Note to self, do not update. Adding it to the same list as skype now.
note that I've just updated it from 25 to 34

i've held off on updating it because i've heard that it was shit

but it's worse that i could imagine

it's complete garbage
._.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #48770 on: January 09, 2015, 01:50:02 pm »

... and here I was wondering how could they possibly have made it even worse than it is right now.

Sergarr, stop trying to scare the living shit out of me.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48771 on: January 09, 2015, 01:51:37 pm »

how hard can it be to make a browser that halfheartedly understands standard web things and whose ui doesn't get shittier and shittier every passing update

i mean pale moon represent but i'm still a bit salty about the idea that modern browsers have to use over a gig of memory

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #48772 on: January 09, 2015, 01:53:56 pm »

i mean pale moon represent but i'm still a bit salty about the idea that modern browsers have to use over a gig of memory

Yikes. Firefox restrains itself to half a gig on my machine, at least. I have tab discipline, though...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48773 on: January 09, 2015, 02:05:39 pm »

how hard can it be to make a browser that halfheartedly understands standard web things and whose ui doesn't get shittier and shittier every passing update

I avoid quoting LSP because I never know when his chaotic neutral alignment will bite my ass but this quote just begs to be spammed all over people working at Opera/Firefox/Chrome mailboxes.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48774 on: January 09, 2015, 02:09:08 pm »

I avoid quoting LSP because I never know when his chaotic neutral alignment will bite my ass but this quote just begs to be spammed all over people working at Opera/Firefox/Chrome mailboxes.
Haha! As a Safari user I might have a horribly slow and inefficient browser, but at least the only UI changes that have been made since 2009 have been improvements. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48775 on: January 09, 2015, 02:17:16 pm »

* LordSlowpoke lets loose the ass sharks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48777 on: January 09, 2015, 10:43:54 pm »

Guitar-rage: Just picked up my guitar to play around a bit before I started something else (woo, procrastination!) and I miserably failed at something I'd done much better at before. Rocksmith just condescendingly says, "Keep practicing." First time I've ever seen that. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48778 on: January 09, 2015, 11:48:28 pm »

Work rage, totally self-inflicted. Got a fucking messy data file from a customer of our competitor's who is switching to us.

And I thought, easy-peasy, I'll just work with the spreadsheet, using our little data importing tool....

NO. BAD TECH SUPPORT. TURN NOT AWAY FROM THY DATABASE.

It should have been self-evident, but copy/pasting from an excel spreadsheet into MANY spreadsheets, over several hours, tends to introduce user error. A lot of user error.

Not only that, but spreadsheets come with white space that makes, well, everything fuck up. Nevermind that shit dongle that is Excel, which I haven't really used since highschool, and that was a long, long time ago.

So in about 10 hours I managed to hack apart a data file, clean it up, get it inserted, only to discover....inventory counts are off! And part numbers are referencing the wrong parts!

So I just spent ~5 hours after the close of business, while everyone else is drinking beer and enjoying the end of their work week at a company social event, doing what I should have fucking done in the first place, which was insert the raw data into the database and work query magic on it. LTRIM(RTRIM(blah))? DONT MIND IF I DO.

Christ, I don't know what I was thinking or where my head was at. I'm pretty sure my coworkers think I'm a psychopath at this point, for the amount of swearing and getting up angrily to go fume in private at how fucking retarded this all was.

I think the truth is I've always felt under-qualified for many parts of this job, and my insecurities start turning to rage and frustration when I hit the limit of my intellect. In the end though, I made a stupid choice from the outset and I'm just angry at myself for not knowing, or doing, better. No one at work even cares. They probably care more about me raging out than anything else. *sigh*
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:52:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #48779 on: January 10, 2015, 12:22:24 am »

I envy you and your work, despite your frustration with it. That's the sort of work I wish I could be doing, fixing and moving one form of data into another form and working with databases. Using Excel and fancy little commands like
LTRIM(RTRIM(blah))

I'd much rather be banging my head against a wall for a mistake like THAT then standing upright all day with nary a chair in sight whilst banging my head against a wall because of faulty management and faulty equipment meaning that we don't have over half our menu at any given time. I HATE customer service, because I feel so weak and powerless against an endless hoard of Supermen who can use their X-Ray vision to see the faults that I have and are endlessly disappointed.

I wouldn't care if my coworkers thought me a psychopath for a few swears either. My coworkers KNOW that I belong in a crazy house, the don't suspect at all. But there's no-one else willing to take the job, I'm "reliable" and "a good person", so I have to take all the crazy shit and stress from the job, bottle it up, and rescue each and every one of my coworkers from themselves in order to make sure that no-one else at my job goes crazy the way I have crazy the way I have. I know I've had to lock myself into a closet for a few minutes more than once in order to calm down, the shit this job gives is crazy the way I have crazy the way I have.

At least you have a computer with (minimally?) decent software and a chair. Our tills are the only computers we're allowed to see (no phones, no CD players, nothing, just the tills while on duty), and they're running Windows 2000 still. Which means the coffee machine is more advanced than our best computer.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 3250 3251 [3252] 3253 3254 ... 3345