Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3247 3248 [3249] 3250 3251 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695818 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FahRAGEheit Edition
« Reply #48720 on: January 08, 2015, 09:54:15 am »

School was closed early here because the predicted windchill was something like -40 degrees F, so thats fun for those in my family who still deal with school.
We had a day like that last year in Illinois.  It was ... interesting to go out and take my daily walk that day. 

Yesterday was predicted to be something like a wind chill of -25F at my usual walking time, but it was only -17F or something tepid like that. 

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #48721 on: January 08, 2015, 09:54:58 am »

It doesn't get as cold here, but our winter rains are caused by the polar front moving North. Also in winter I swear you can feel that the wind has blown straight off Antarctica over the sea.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48724 on: January 08, 2015, 11:21:02 am »

Well it's good to see that pointless idiotic exercises aren't just limited to the Swedish military. I'd be more impressed if they actually kept to stuff that actually has a point.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48725 on: January 08, 2015, 11:23:38 am »

Well it's good to see that pointless idiotic exercises aren't just limited to the Swedish military. I'd be more impressed if they actually kept to stuff that actually has a point.

Doesn't every military have some sort of showoff thing going?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #48726 on: January 08, 2015, 11:24:17 am »

It's called "existing".

:P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48727 on: January 08, 2015, 11:29:30 am »

All I know is that the Swedish military has a special place in their heart for forcing recruits to walk and swim through ice-cold water during winter in full gear (the people in charge would hang around in boats, of course), which routinely killed a couple of boys every three years or so until people finally got enough and told them to cut that shit the fuck out. Haven't been any particular scandals about that in the last decade or so, but for all I know they might still be doing the exercise, just with better safety measures.
Love, scriver~

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48728 on: January 08, 2015, 11:30:27 am »

The image just makes me think of ostriches really.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48729 on: January 08, 2015, 11:33:33 am »

All I know is that the Swedish military has a special place in their heart for forcing recruits to walk and swim through ice-cold water during winter in full gear (the people in charge would hang around in boats, of course), which routinely killed a couple of boys every three years or so until people finally got enough and told them to cut that shit the fuck out. Haven't been any particular scandals about that in the last decade or so, but for all I know they might still be doing the exercise, just with better safety measures.
Isn't that a situation Swedish troops would be likely to face in an actual war on home soil, though? Then it would make sense to get them used to the idea of wading/swimming through icy water, as long as the safety measures are appropriate.

(Seriously, why did the higher-ups think it was a good idea to kill their own recruits? That's what the enemy's for!)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48730 on: January 08, 2015, 11:52:55 am »

More like sadistic officers being sadistic for the sake of sadism. There is a million better ways to practice than in the open sea with undercurrents and all.
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48731 on: January 08, 2015, 01:33:01 pm »

Isn't that a situation Swedish troops would be likely to face in an actual war on home soil, though? Then it would make sense to get them used to the idea of wading/swimming through icy water, as long as the safety measures are appropriate.

(Seriously, why did the higher-ups think it was a good idea to kill their own recruits?

They're probably sociopaths.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48732 on: January 08, 2015, 02:12:05 pm »

Well, if the ones who survive are then somehow immune to cold damage and/or generally tougher... 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48733 on: January 08, 2015, 02:15:30 pm »

Natural selection.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #48734 on: January 08, 2015, 02:16:06 pm »

Unfortunately, being in the army isn't hereditary any more.

Pages: 1 ... 3247 3248 [3249] 3250 3251 ... 3345