Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689376 times)

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #4530 on: June 28, 2011, 01:00:23 am »

Caesars Legion.
Overpowered fuck's that throw overpowered spear's.
Granted, I was level 1, but still...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: June 28, 2011, 03:07:56 am »

Caesars Legion.
Overpowered fuck's that throw overpowered spear's.
Granted, I was level 1, but still...
I see your problem, your fighting Caesars Legion. I suggest you switch over to fighting the NCR.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: June 28, 2011, 04:22:53 am »

Nah, already *look's at list* Let's see...
Got power armor from BoS. *Check*
Killed BoS. *Check*
Slaughtered NCR. *check*
Killed every named NCR person. *check*
So and so...
Im going for a 'kill everything' run through.
Yes Man has personally suffered many times via Shovel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4533 on: June 28, 2011, 06:10:08 am »

Internet won't stay connected for more than about 10 seconds. Disconnected twice while typing this.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: June 28, 2011, 07:05:58 am »

Internet won't stay connected for more than about 10 seconds. Disconnected twice while typing this.

Yah, crappy internet connections are crappy. :P

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:49 am »

I was reading how American DVR's and set-top boxes use more power than European ones, up to 20 times (but usual about double) the  power on stand-by than ones in Europe. And US consumers electric bills have gone up and they don't know why.

US companies import European-made devices and deliberately disable the power-saving features they had built-in, saying "US consumers don't want those features", which of course the consumers don't know existed.

The changes to the imported boxes include disabling "off button" and sleep/standby modes altogether, the rationale being consumers won't tolerate a 30-45 second "warm-up" mode when the device comes out of hibernation. You have to unplug the device to save any power. With the changes they make, the only effect of the "off" button is to cut the LED light to the clock, the hard-drive keeps spinning 100% and the tuners keep working even if it's not doing anything or recording anything.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:27:53 am by Reelyanoob »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:55 am »

US companies import European-made devices and deliberately disable the power-saving features they had built-in, saying "US consumers don't want those features", which of course the consumers don't know existed.

What is this, I don't even? What financial profit could they... GUFRUNC?!?!?! FRU POMHY GENY???

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:46 am »

The claim is Americans won't wait 30-45 seconds for a device to warm up, even if it's optional.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: June 28, 2011, 07:32:06 am »

I can't think of any device I have that needs 30-45 seconds to warm up, and I have a lot of devices.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: June 28, 2011, 07:33:15 am »

Well it depends on the device I suppose, are we talking about portable microwaves or condom dispensers here?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:43:21 am by Heliman »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: June 28, 2011, 07:37:30 am »

Lemme find some references. This is a new one I just found:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/06/27/technology-set-top-boxes-power.html
"Hitting the on/off button merely dims the clock or display and instead of having your DVR consume 35 W when on, it consumed 34 W," said Noah Horowitz, senior scientist at NDRC, in an email Monday.

Mind you this is a device with a Hard Drive running full tilt, with no SMART control or anything. So you'd have to replace it sooner as a result.

Oh lookie my source was New York Times. I'm feelin' the Cred already!
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us/26cable.html?_r=1
One high-definition DVR and one high-definition cable box use an average of 446 kilowatt hours a year, about 10 percent more than a 21-cubic-foot energy-efficient refrigerator, a recent study found.
Similar devices in some European countries, for example, can automatically go into standby mode when not in use, cutting power drawn by half. They can also go into an optional “deep sleep,” which can reduce energy consumption by about 95 percent compared with when the machine is active.
One British company, Pace, sells such boxes to American providers, who do not take advantage of the reduced energy options because of worries that the lowest energy states could disrupt service. Cable companies say customers will not tolerate the time it takes to reboot the system once the system has been shut down or put to sleep.
Mr. Wilson recalled that when he was on the California Energy Commission, he asked box makers why the hard drives were on all the time, using so much power. The answer: “Nobody asked us to use less.”
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:00:44 am by Reelyanoob »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: June 28, 2011, 07:40:17 am »

The only thing that takes times to start up in my house is the big TV, and that's only 10 seconds or so. About half of which I spend moving my lazy ass to the couch and turning on the channel-provider-box.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: June 28, 2011, 07:44:24 am »

Well it depends on the device I suppose, what, are we talking about portable microwaves or condom dispensers here>

This is a good point. I don't want to wait 30-45 seconds for a fresh condom.

Also, are you really surprised? We're the same country that refuses to require trigger locks. When we want to get our shoot on, we want it now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: June 28, 2011, 07:57:00 am »

: \ That's more of an issue of defense though. Trigger locks hamper the ability to defend yourself in a crisis situation.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: June 28, 2011, 07:59:53 am »

: \ That's more of an issue of defense though. Trigger locks hamper the ability to defend yourself in a crisis situation.
It will be a cold day in hell when I see a gun as a viable solution to a crisis situation, taking risk and reward analysis into account.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 3345