Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3007 3008 [3009] 3010 3011 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695738 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: See you in Matrimony Edition
« Reply #45120 on: October 24, 2014, 07:19:32 am »

In the past 18 hours my internet has worked properly about 20% of the time, has stopped working completely about 20% of the time, and has functioned infuriatingly slowly the remaining 60%.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45121 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:04 am »

I had their 'medium' salsa instead of the hottest for precisely that reason. :P
Things worked out in the end. In other news, can someone link me to the Drunk Thread? I'm on my phone and can't dig it up.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87125.270

...it's been dead since 2011, just fyi
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45123 on: October 24, 2014, 12:56:09 pm »

u wot, bash?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #45124 on: October 24, 2014, 01:58:10 pm »

Apple, why must you be so awesome right up to the point that you are a total dick. :(

I love the simplicity and way the iPhone UI functions way better than other phones, but the App Store decisions that Apple makes, ugh (and even Android is starting to get on my nerves with some of the decisions that they are making). It's really starting to annoy me how many limits cell phone companies are placing on their phones. I mean sure, "security" is good and all that, but I want to be able to change my phone without needing to circumvent stupid limits that are being placed on it, damn it! >:(

Maybe once Ubuntu Touch finds itself a little more developed I'll see about switching over to that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45125 on: October 24, 2014, 02:12:51 pm »

AAAAAAGRH

THE HALLWAYS IN MY SCHOOL

IT'S LIKE TRYING TO WADE THROUGH A SEA OF CATS

AUTISTIC
CATS
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45126 on: October 24, 2014, 02:16:12 pm »

Kitties!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45127 on: October 24, 2014, 02:19:25 pm »

EXCEPT IT'S ONES THAT AREN'T CUTE THAT NEVER SHUT UP AND CARE ONLY FOR THEMSELVES AND AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGRH

We need some damned traffic laws in that school.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Meanwhile our IT technicians are dicks and everything is blocked. They even made us sign a contract that is almost certainly illegal to enforce. Pretty much says that you can only use the computers for work and you can't do so much as plug in a USB drive without permission.

Spoilers: It's because they're not actually very good at their jobs so they're scared of anything they don't already know well[/spoiler]

Well, I'm an IT tech and while I'm not that strict I can relate. Most likely is not that they are bad at their jobs. Most of the time when you see a thing like that is because there's some precedent. USB thumbs can be pretty dangerous either unintentionally or intentionally. You might know what you are doing and not trying to mess up the network, but what about everyone else on the office? Your coworkers might not be as well versed on computing as you, and might end up bringing a nasty virus from home, or the other way around, they might know exactly what they are doing when trying to sabotage something. I have experienced both cases first hand.

Most of the time there's one guy that ruins everything for everyone else by trying to be too smart, get caught and hence a reaction from IT would be to create a policy over that. (Happened here too). Most of the time IT becomes as unpopular as human resources because you are forced to cut the wings of people.

Also let me add that computers at work should be used only for that. Work and nothing else. While a little slack can be cut most often than not people eventually abuse from it and you are forced to put tighter limits. For example in my contract it says that I have to provide support, blah blah blah and make sure that all the computing assets of the company are used only for work. It's pretty standard and not illegal anywhere I know to have a contract that include something along those lines for users. I'm fine if people bring their smartphones and use them to whatever they want, after all it's their time. The assets under IT care are what must be "protected".

EDIT: And know I realize I replayed to a message over a month old in a thread that already changed the subject and forgot about it. May Armork have mercy unpon me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:50:12 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45129 on: October 24, 2014, 02:37:31 pm »

Yeah, there's usually precedent when a strange policy like that comes up.  And as long as they're not limiting your basic human rights they can basically put whatever they want in a policy and be able to enforce it (except the pursuit of happines.  Pretty much able to violate that whenever you want).

A lot of a security tech's time is put into figuring out what systems are key for the company to continue functioning, and then figuring out the level of protection he can layer on for the company to still be functioning at a profit.  If at any point the security outweighs the profit, he needs to back off of it.  That said, he's probably looking to avoid viruses on the network and just decided to not let people use USBs.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #45130 on: October 24, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »

* Octobomb casts spell: METEOR
It's super effective!
LordBaal, Post Necromancer, is stuck down!
Karkov, Necromancer's assistant, is struck down!
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #45131 on: October 24, 2014, 02:41:23 pm »

wait, is LordBaal the same person who made those amazing Phoenix Wright Youtube poops?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45132 on: October 24, 2014, 02:45:46 pm »

Oh wait, what?

SEPTEMBER SIXTEENTH?  WHAT NECROMANCY DID YOU BRING ME UNWITTINGLY INTO!?  FOUL SORCERER!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45133 on: October 24, 2014, 02:47:17 pm »

wait, is LordBaal the same person who made those amazing Phoenix Wright Youtube poops?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:51:14 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45134 on: October 24, 2014, 02:47:47 pm »

To add insult to injury now a double post. Wow I'm on fire today.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:51:00 pm by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 3007 3008 [3009] 3010 3011 ... 3345