Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2983 2984 [2985] 2986 2987 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694423 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: The Foot is afoot Edition
« Reply #44760 on: October 18, 2014, 01:31:55 pm »

There's a difference between "I play guitar! I know that one song by Nirvana!" and playing well, Helgo.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #44761 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32:20 pm »

There's a difference between "I play guitar! I know that one song by Nirvana!" and playing well, Helgo.
I thought Oasis did Wonderwell?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44762 on: October 18, 2014, 01:36:21 pm »

I can't do it the *cough* way because of my tiny Internet limit, but I can still get a retail copy if I manage to find one. Then again, that wouldn't really work since my parents insisted I move my computer into the living room, and guitar strings still emit noise if you're hooked up to headphones. This is also why plugging my headphones into my amp won't work well.

Jesus Christmas, whenever a problem like this comes up there's always some convenient reason why I can't use any of the solutions suggested. Fuck my luck with a mace, seriously.

Are you guys fucking serious? Going out and buying another instrument isn't going to help. Also, I don't want to learn an instrument just for the sake of learning an instrument. I just want to learn guitar, the instrument which I actually care about and already own. Use your heads.
I don't know about the others, but I am telling you that there are instruments that are wayyy cooler than the guitar.
Everybody and their uncle plays the guitar. It's for the general populace what the piano is for the burgeoisie - the instrument learned by those who don't really care about music but want to be able to say 'I can play an instrument'. And I say that as a piano player of presumably the same type!
I don't know if you noticed what I said, but I'm not doing it because I give half a damn about what is considered cool, I am doing it because I care about learning guitar and that is the instrument I want to learn.

Also, I literally only know one person who plays guitar besides me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44763 on: October 18, 2014, 01:53:23 pm »

... you're learning flamenco guitar, right? Right?

Maybe classical guitar, too? That's less interesting than flamenco, which is the guitar style of the gods, but it's still pretty neat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #44764 on: October 18, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »

Are you guys fucking serious? Going out and buying another instrument isn't going to help. Also, I don't want to learn an instrument just for the sake of learning an instrument. I just want to learn guitar, the instrument which I actually care about and already own. Use your heads.
I don't know about the others, but I am telling you that there are instruments that are wayyy cooler than the guitar.
Everybody and their uncle plays the guitar. It's for the general populace what the piano is for the burgeoisie - the instrument learned by those who don't really care about music but want to be able to say 'I can play an instrument'. And I say that as a piano player of presumably the same type!

Aside from what MZ said, this also means that guitar has a relatively low barrier of entry - if there's a music shop in the town, you CAN buy a guitar, and it will be relatively cheap and portable. It also means that you have a wide variety of references for the music, with loads and loads of tabs, chord charts, classical notation et al for a huge selection of genres.

Guitar is, relatively speaking, easy to learn, hard to master. Besides, if you're treating your learning seriously, you're gonna have a much easier time learning other instruments further down the line - I've started dabbling in keyboard instruments myself, and with triads and progressions worked out, it boils down to developing the agility and independence.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #44765 on: October 18, 2014, 02:01:28 pm »

The best guitar is one smashed over the head of an annoying fella
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44766 on: October 18, 2014, 02:22:40 pm »

Sure - but at least for me a guitar player, without any additional information, will always have that image. I have a friend who's a damn five-string god, but for each one like him there are one hundred people out there ruining it. As I said, it's the same for pianos -but other instruments don't have that 'problem'.
But yeah, 'hard to master' is very much accurate - props to anyone who's actually good at it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #44768 on: October 18, 2014, 03:07:10 pm »

five-string
ಠ_ಠ

He averaged the bass players and six-string guitar players :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44769 on: October 18, 2014, 03:09:42 pm »

There's no way that the average number of strings per guitar is 5. I've personally held a 12-srting, and have seen a double-strung 12, making it a 24-string guitar.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44770 on: October 18, 2014, 03:12:29 pm »

Landmines that explode into caltrops with landmines attached?
Perfect. And the landmines on the caltrops release Koss Gastm!
GENIUS.
that'll be three thousand dollars
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44771 on: October 18, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »

A fun thing to do is, if you have it set up, restore to a previous system point.

My parents got one of them, but it threw up a screen on boot-up and killed the explorer process so you couldn't access anything, but when started in safe mode, if you were fast enough, could system restore back to before the virus and only lose progressed work and not everything.

And those ransomwares like to tag themselves onto webpages and scripts. Don't have to download anything these days to get fucked up  :-\

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44772 on: October 18, 2014, 05:43:21 pm »

Average usually refers to mean. As I've experienced at least.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44773 on: October 18, 2014, 05:45:35 pm »

Average usually refers to mean. As I've experienced at least.
Yeah, average == mean in every class that I've ever taken.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44774 on: October 18, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »

I've seen average being used as the mean by pretty much anybody who wasn't wrong about this.
Pages: 1 ... 2983 2984 [2985] 2986 2987 ... 3345