Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2927 2928 [2929] 2930 2931 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696784 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Diagnosis: RAGE Edition
« Reply #43920 on: September 30, 2014, 01:40:03 pm »

We got this lady here in the office. She technically is the head of an entirely separate company, that was birthed from our parent company, who works in the same office space.

She has two interns and paid employee of her own. Just got her second intern yesterday. And what does she do? She comes into Tech Support and tells one of our guys "Yeah, I need you to install the software for her, then train her."

You know, because we're her fucking whipping boys, and she's too fucking busy to manage her own fucking interns, despite the fact she passes everything except business trips off to support. Oh, your product needs support? Ask the other tech support guys. Oh, your printer isn't working? Have tech support drop everything else they're doing to help her.

It fucking pisses me off this lady is treated as a separate company and yet still has us basically do everything for her, down to talking to her own fucking interns and showing them how to use her fucking product. Some fucking product manager.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43921 on: September 30, 2014, 01:42:42 pm »

We got this lady here in the office. She technically is the head of an entirely separate company, that was birthed from our parent company, who works in the same office space.

She has two interns and paid employee of her own. Just got her second intern yesterday. And what does she do? She comes into Tech Support and tells one of our guys "Yeah, I need you to install the software for her, then train her."

You know, because we're her fucking whipping boys, and she's too fucking busy to manage her own fucking interns, despite the fact she passes everything except business trips off to support. Oh, your product needs support? Ask the other tech support guys. Oh, your printer isn't working? Have tech support drop everything else they're doing to help her.

It fucking pisses me off this lady is treated as a separate company and yet still has us basically do everything for her, down to talking to her own fucking interns and showing them how to use her fucking product. Some fucking product manager.
Are you actually obliged to help though?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43922 on: September 30, 2014, 01:48:49 pm »

Presumably, if they want to keep their jobs.

Speaking of work that I'm not supposed to do, I got yelled at for not doing garbage yesterday. There is at least one other person capable of taking the garbage out. In fact, that person has been doing garbage for the past few weeks. It woud be nice when someone informs me that the responsibility is mine again beforehand, thanks.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43923 on: September 30, 2014, 01:54:08 pm »

Are you actually obliged to help though?

We are. But she both has terrible inter-personal communication skills, and lately, it seems like she's offloading more "crap work" that she should be doing on to Tech Support. Seriously, this chick gives presentations in front of multi-million dollar food companies....and she can't show her own fucking intern the fucking program she sells to people? It's fucking bullshit. She always tries to dump as much shit as she can on tech support, despite the fact she has enough people in her own "company" to handle it herself.

I don't even care that much, as she long ago learned I don't play that shit. So she won't bring anything to me unless there is literally no one else around to help her. But it pisses me off watching her do this to the other tech support guy, who is as mild as milk toast and basically incapable of saying no to anyone.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #43924 on: September 30, 2014, 02:02:24 pm »

Re: People who have trouble sleeping, have you tried melatonin?  Take it an hour before you go to sleep and it will make you feel drowsy.  Its also very mild, the only real side effect is sometimes it makes you feel tired the morning after you took it (which is what its supposed to do technically, it just does it for too long sometimes).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43925 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:21 pm »

It may make you feel drowsy. Tried it once, heh, over the course of a week or so. Did precisely nothing. May be worth a shot, but I wouldn't approach the stuff expecting anything.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43926 on: September 30, 2014, 02:21:02 pm »

I used to take melatonin. Then I couldn't fall asleep without it.

So I stopped taking melatonin. Fucking paradoxes, is what that is.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43927 on: September 30, 2014, 02:23:51 pm »

I swear part of the job description for being a manager must be 'be a total dipshit' given the number of bad managers.

I think it's more that, being a good manager is a skill few have, but many think they have.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43928 on: September 30, 2014, 02:28:46 pm »

The Peter Principle springs to mind.

I, too, have trouble falling asleep. My solution (usually) is to stay up until I'm almost falling asleep, and then go to bed.
I still get up at the same time as usual, though, so it means I only get about five or six hours' sleep.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #43929 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:08 pm »

[Context:History][X-Post]
I'm okay with text to remember, but DATES. Dates, dates, dates. Freaking >50 dates to remember, all of which I will forget in a matter of a few hours after the exam. Why do I even need to know this? I'm aspiring to be a programmer, will my interviewer ask me "When did Cossacks attack Poland, what was the reason and who was leading the attack?" WHY CAN'T I CHOOSE MY CAREER NOW AND DROP THIS BULLSHIT!? ARGH
I'm with stupid |
                      v

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43930 on: September 30, 2014, 03:55:16 pm »

The simple fact is, some people are made managers but they don't necessarily have all the skills to be good managers. And really, tone is all important. When people are busy, walking in and interrupting them and acting like your problem takes precedence over what else they're doing tends to piss them off. Even my fucking CEO will ask "Are you busy" before he drops a bomb on tech support. Whether we're busy or not is irrelevant to the work at hand, but the simple fact he asks first means a lot.

This chick on the other hand, walks in and tells us she needs stuff done as though there is nothing else in the fucking world going on except her problem. And that shit pisses me off. It's only exacerbated by the fact we're two separate companies, so she generally has no fucking idea what we do or how busy we are. Tech Support, on the other hand, has a pretty good idea what's going on in her world because we have to deal with it.

As a non-native English speaker, I cut her some slack on tone and not getting all the social mores. But she fucking has adapted perfectly to everything else, so the way she treats the support staff seems more intentional than not. And her English is great. So it's not a language difference, it's not a cultural difference. I think she literally just does not give a shit about us until she needs something from us, and as soon as we're done, she's back to not giving a fuck what's going on in our world. Which is fine. Just don't pull rank on me when you're deliberately being disrespectful of my time and work flow.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:59:46 pm by nenjin »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43931 on: September 30, 2014, 04:02:29 pm »

A good manager treats their employees as an equal that they ask to do stuff because they don't have the time or skill. A bad manager is bossy for the sake of being bossy. I do my best to be a good manager, but my 3rd key (the same as a stock employee, but with keys,) is a boss, not a manager, and she has no idea why everyone gets pissed at her.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: TPS Reports Edition
« Reply #43932 on: September 30, 2014, 05:29:27 pm »

It's not even that she's bossy, per se. She just walks in and says "I need this" probably once every couple of weeks. Otherwise we have no interaction with her.

Meanwhile, anyone else dealing with anyone technical in the company is always mindful that they're probably interrupting something else they're doing. I learned the hard way, from my developers, from my systems administrator, to approach with caution and with respect for their time. And that is how our whole company rolls, except for her. Talking to the guy who has to do all her art and copy, apparently it's just a thing with her. But goddamnit it gets under my skin, especially as I have to listen to her go after easiest target (my co-worker) and give him orders with workmanlike efficiency like he's one of her employees.

I shouldn't complain really, the budget for her company afforded us a new tech support person, so we're not really two companies yet. Still, she's a social outlier from everyone else I work with, and it's to the point even my project managers are like "Yeah, no, she should not be coming to you guys for this." And that side of the business is only going to go up up up in the next few years, which is just going to make this problem worse.

I wouldn't be bothered by this weird little arrangement we have, and be more than happy to help because I need more experience in that side of the business anyways.....but get that fucking tone in line or you're not getting shit from me. Part of it is I want my co-worker to show a little backbone too, because as long as he's willing to be her whipping boy nothing will really change.

I think that's really the issue. When everyone else makes demands of us, or tasks us with shit, I have real, human interaction with them to soften the blow. But only a few people have any real interaction with her, and I have next to zero. So I don't really know her that well despite the Christmas parties and shit. So there's nothing to make me really like her or understand her beyond her bluntly stated "requests" for help.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:33:35 pm by nenjin »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43933 on: September 30, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »

That feeling when you spend the entire lab section on confirming that your equipment is, in fact, borked.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #43934 on: September 30, 2014, 09:24:49 pm »

The word "mouthfeel".
Pages: 1 ... 2927 2928 [2929] 2930 2931 ... 3345