Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709210 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #4155 on: June 13, 2011, 02:01:49 pm »

As a result, HR departments resort to draconian, mechanical ways to seperate the wheat from the chaff. In some cases, simply having a phrasing different that what they're looking for can make the difference between getting past the 1st cutdown and ending up in the trashcan. They might be looking for "project management" and your resume might say "Managed projects". Too bad, try again.

I know of several places that automatically discard resumes longer than a single A4 page. Handwritten or "fancy" resumes also go in the shredder.

Which is insane. They only want people with tons of experience and skills, but you have to fit all that into a single page. And make it legible. I know of HR departments that ditch any resume where the font is below a certain size, usually 10-point.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: June 13, 2011, 04:42:01 pm »

As a result, HR departments resort to draconian, mechanical ways to seperate the wheat from the chaff. In some cases, simply having a phrasing different that what they're looking for can make the difference between getting past the 1st cutdown and ending up in the trashcan. They might be looking for "project management" and your resume might say "Managed projects". Too bad, try again.

I know of several places that automatically discard resumes longer than a single A4 page. Handwritten or "fancy" resumes also go in the shredder.
Online applications don't have much better truck with that either. At this point, I absolutely refuse to utilize Snagajob.com for any job applications, due to the fact that I applied for Kohl's(a home furnishing store, for those who don't know), and despite answering the questions on the application in the "expected" way, what pops up when I sent it in basically said "We(Snagajob) don't like your application, so we're not sending it to the company you're applying for. In fact, we're deleting everything you just spent 15 minutes working on. Now go f*$k yourself."
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: June 13, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »

Three things caused seething rage in me today.

A) I went to my first Philosophy class. Hoo boy. Prof whipped out hoaxes that he believed were factual (someone found dozens of mastodons at the north pole? Where there's no land?), pseudoscience and vague science-ish sounding bullshit, declared all religions but one wrong and all but one god made up(although he didn't specify, I can take a guess), decried mathematics as "useless junk", and then said, and I quote (hence the quotes): "There are no atheists. Not one." I may have to nudge this prof to lean in a direction where he's not always right. If that fails, I will use every sales technique I have ever learned, and every Dawkins/Russel/Hawking/etc quote I have ever read, and crush this man under an avalanche of holes poked in his religion. Normally, I leave people alone with their beliefs, but you attack mine outright and decry them as wrong and immoral, I attack back. I will not be a captive audience to be brainwashed.

B) No one will let me buy a used car to build up my credit because I don't have enough credit. Fuck you, society. The way you work is moronic.

C) My wife bitched me out because I didn't get as much free money for my education as she thought I was going to. What the hell more does she want?

[/rant]

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: June 13, 2011, 05:06:37 pm »

Back in 2008 I was called for an interview with a magazine publisher.  They wanted a Sales Analyst.  Number crunching type stuff.  With my two degrees from a good school I certainly qualified.

I spoke with a hiring manager named Greg Mason.  He said that with my resume and education I was basically a shoe-in.  The interview goes well.

A week later they call me back to do another interview with someone else from the same department.  That goes well too.

Then nothing happened.  A week or two passes and I call the hiring manager and get his machine.  Eventually the hiring manager gets back to me and says that the company decided not to fill the position and is looking for an ordinary sales job instead.

A couple more weeks pass.  I go back to the company's website and that Sales Analyst position is still listed as being open.  I try calling the hiring manager.  Never get a response.  Tried calling the HR manager.  No response.  I call every single day for two weeks.  They never pick up.

Eventually I call using a different phone number and manage to get through to the HR guy.  He says that Sales Analyst position was filled weeks ago and that day the position disappeared from their website.

The company declared bankruptcy six months later.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:58 pm »

That last sentence should go into the happy thread.

Had it coming, too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: June 13, 2011, 05:13:59 pm »

decried mathematics as "useless junk"

Whelp, there we go.  Dude's in trouble now :I

(Honestly, though, I hear this more often than I'd like to admit)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: June 13, 2011, 05:14:25 pm »

Yeah, I'm on my way to a "job fair" in just a bit myself, with my incredibly sparse resume in hand, so I can at least show that I'm trying to not be an under-employed mooch the rest of my life.  Which I certainly don't want to be, but damned if the world ain't making it easy on recent college grads with no vocational skills or professional experience.

Some days, I wonder why I went to college at all.

My little sister who graduated at the top of her class and had a paid internship during college has been unemployed for over 2 years since she graduated. She got her Architectural Engineering degree just in time for the housing crash and is competing against people with 30 years of experience for entry level positions.

I graduated with a batchelors degree in math and in economics right before the banking crisis.  Same idea, really.  It's painful and demoralizing.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: June 13, 2011, 05:29:59 pm »

Plenty of openings around here in anything engineering or economics related, although I guess continent-hopping isn't anyone's first option.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: June 13, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »

and then said, and I quote (hence the quotes): "There are no atheists. Not one."
....And he rationalizes this how, exactly?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: June 13, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »

Rationalism is overrated if you have faith, duh.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: June 13, 2011, 05:34:28 pm »

Not rationalism. Rationalization. Different concepts entierly. In fact, my observations suggest that rapid and widespread rationalizations in many aspects of life are a component of what we call faith.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: June 13, 2011, 05:39:51 pm »

Bluhbluh vocabulary and lack of sleep and I'm off to bed now.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: June 13, 2011, 05:40:33 pm »

Science is the new god, for many people.  We say "science says" as though following the practices of the church, trusting in things personally unverifiable... we say "my psychiatrist" when discussing functions that would typically have been performed by a priest in years past.

The information explosion has its own problems, as you might expect.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: June 13, 2011, 05:47:49 pm »

They're personably unverifiable in many cases due to the level of devoted specialization required to understand the more complex areas of many fields. No one can learn them all, but we can trust that other members of the field will jump all over someone who tries to publish incorrect findings. Self-regulation is what makes science an effective tool to make discoveries. I don't think calling that behavior religious is accurate.

As for psychiatrists, I hate psychiatrists due to how soft their field of science usually is, but it cannot be denied that they know somthing about the human mind in terms of science. That's more than priests can give.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: June 13, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »

Yup, math sure is useless. It's not like it's been vital to essentially every scientific advancement ever made, in one way or another. And that's definitely not just one counterpoint out of many.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 3345