Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2508 2509 [2510] 2511 2512 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690171 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: DON'T ROLL A 1 Edition
« Reply #37635 on: June 03, 2014, 04:22:05 pm »

Volunteering as a cat-hugger is a bad time to learn you're allergic to cats.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37636 on: June 03, 2014, 04:43:24 pm »

Argh, the temp place called me but I missed it. Opportunity lost.

And my mom still wants me to call the volunteer place.
Go volunteer for the position of cat hugger at your local pet shelter.

How would that help :V

My mom wants me to volunteer at the same place I volunteered at to get my mandatory volunteer work during highschool.

I managed to get more than three hundred hours of volunteer work for my resume, though my school refused to record more than forty.
This has the potential to lead to sitcom-esque hijinks, so I can't give it my unqualified endorsement, but do you have any confederates who might help you perpetrate a lie? Say you're volunteering, mention that they've changed their phone number to <buddy's phone number> (because she surely will call to "check up on you"), and spend the time out of the house somewhere she'll never look (perhaps your local library?) looking for better opportunities (whether in work or living space or whatever). Also, make sure the temp agency and suchlike have your cell phone number, so they can still reach you. Do note that this plan assumes she doesn't know how/care enough to use a phone book/internet, which may be an issue.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37637 on: June 03, 2014, 06:49:33 pm »

Heh, that sounds like what my dad did to me during my summer "vacation" visits. Told me I had to either get a job or volunteer (I think I was 15 or so at the time.) Ended up working.....man, probably 500 combined total hours at a local Food Bank, and a Zoo. Fed animals and cleaned up their pens. Everything from goats to Jaguars. Stacking shit like canned goods in a hot warehouse, handing out food to grateful families down on their luck, and meth heads. Fucking hated it at first, all of it. But when you're young, broke and vehicle-less in a strange place, you end up making the best of it and I had a pretty good time by the end. But I worked 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for free my entire summer, because my dad felt he needed to break my spirit a bit and teach me some life lessons. Learned some life lessons, at any rate. I recall him eventually paying me a little bit in the end, because I stuck with it all. But I could be misremembering.

And my school wouldn't take any of it, despite documentation, because it was so far in advance of my senior requirement.

So I have a special spot of rage for unpaid labor.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:53:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37638 on: June 03, 2014, 07:31:19 pm »

Finding it increasingly difficult to "hang out" or otherwise meaningfully interact with my roommate (a friend that I've known since high school and whom I've lived with intermittently for about 8 years between then and now).

He comes home, makes a sandwich, then proceeds to play either Skyrim or Hearthstone until about 1am, when he goes to bed. Attempts to engage him in conversation while he's playing are futile. Attempts to do any kind of co-op gaming are limited at best (a little bit of Borderlands 2 here, a little Monaco there). I even tried playing some Hearthstone against him, but after he dropped two legendaries on me in the first six rounds (I've barely even gotten a starter deck put together), I ragequit and found something else to do.

When my kids are here, he vanishes to his girlfriend's apartment for a day or two. When we go out to eat, he's mostly absorbed in his smartphone.

Now I'm just trying to save up enough money (and get a raise at work) so I can afford to get my own place.  :-\
Fuck it. Same thing again tonight. Only this time my girlfriend made us all a great dinner (the third one in a week that she and/or I have made that he's partaken of) and as soon as he was done, he headed back upstairs without so much as spending a few minutes to chat or offer to help clean up or y'know....help PAY for the cost of the ingredients. So then after she left, I went up to just kinda chat and shoot the breeze, and he barely acknowledges I'm in the fucking room.

This is no longer sad, this is rage thread material.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #37639 on: June 03, 2014, 07:46:00 pm »

Mom comes home after work.
I go greet her with smile in face.
She smiles. Smile immediately turns sour. She gets angry at me because yesterday, she asked for my phone's password, and I had no choice but to give it to her. She immediately checked all my chats, mails, and pictures. She finds out I don't check family chatrooms and the like. This got her angry. Then, today, she decided to send an inspiring message through the chat, instead of verbally or something. I, of course, didn't check it. So, she got angry at me and said that I'm just a "stuck-up egoistic kid who only cares about his little games". So, apparently not being an e-mail/whatsapp/facebook person means you are antisocial.

Fun fact, my mom loves social sites and phones.
In fact, she always
Spoiler:  Sirus'll get angry (click to show/hide)
And there very close calls where we're darting through traffic extremely fast, and I hold on to my seat as my sister screams, "MOM STOP IT WE'RE GONNA CRASH AND DIE PLEASE NOOOOO"

Aw man, I feel ya. My mom's a Facebook obsesser, (more about that later) you see, and she loves using family photos as a profile picture. Of course, I'm not comfortable with her parading a picture of me around the internet, so I ask her to change her picture. She didn't and slightly flew off the handle. (Bothers me to this day, I should try to get her to change it tonight.) That's not mentioning lots of the ridiculous ideas my parents have; my mom apparently will die if she doesn't end every sentence with figurative language, and my father tries to enforce the time I have to go to sleep (which bothers me more... I'M NOT IN FRIGGIN GRADE SCHOOL ANYMORE) depending on how he feels that particular day; the other day I had trouble getting out of bed, and he makes me go to bed at NINE FRIGGIN THIRTY.

Ahem. Carry on.

*Oh man. Facebook seems to be hell. The idiotic rumours, the tale-swapping that promotes helicopter parenting, the spambots, random image macros, the ads... Mark Zuckerburg is clearly a named demon.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37640 on: June 03, 2014, 08:02:49 pm »

...my father tries to enforce the time I have to go to sleep (which bothers me more... I'M NOT IN FRIGGIN GRADE SCHOOL ANYMORE) depending on how he feels that particular day; the other day I had trouble getting out of bed, and he makes me go to bed at NINE FRIGGIN THIRTY.

I'm very fortunate to have parents who basically gave up enforcing bedtimes months ago. Note that there was never a hard limit, it's just when they begin harassing us to go to bed for their own ability to get to sleep.

Toward the end of last summer, it was 10:00. Over the fall it gradually slipped to maybe 11:00. Over the winter it trended gradually toward midnight and stayed there. Now that I don't have to wake up at six in the morning every day, it's creeping toward 1:00 AM already. I need to stop it soon for my own health.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37641 on: June 03, 2014, 08:07:37 pm »

Also the newbie was a ten-year-old who shouldn't even be playing Team Fortress 2.
Im 13 and I can play Alpha Centauri, Sins of a Solar Empire, Command and Conquer, etc. Without difficulty. Your point?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37642 on: June 03, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »

Finding it increasingly difficult to "hang out" or otherwise meaningfully interact with my roommate (a friend that I've known since high school and whom I've lived with intermittently for about 8 years between then and now).

He comes home, makes a sandwich, then proceeds to play either Skyrim or Hearthstone until about 1am, when he goes to bed. Attempts to engage him in conversation while he's playing are futile. Attempts to do any kind of co-op gaming are limited at best (a little bit of Borderlands 2 here, a little Monaco there). I even tried playing some Hearthstone against him, but after he dropped two legendaries on me in the first six rounds (I've barely even gotten a starter deck put together), I ragequit and found something else to do.

When my kids are here, he vanishes to his girlfriend's apartment for a day or two. When we go out to eat, he's mostly absorbed in his smartphone.

Now I'm just trying to save up enough money (and get a raise at work) so I can afford to get my own place.  :-\
Fuck it. Same thing again tonight. Only this time my girlfriend made us all a great dinner (the third one in a week that she and/or I have made that he's partaken of) and as soon as he was done, he headed back upstairs without so much as spending a few minutes to chat or offer to help clean up or y'know....help PAY for the cost of the ingredients. So then after she left, I went up to just kinda chat and shoot the breeze, and he barely acknowledges I'm in the fucking room.

This is no longer sad, this is rage thread material.

Huh. Kinda maybe where I'm at with my roommate. Known him since highschool, been close friends throughout but we've only started living in the same house for about the last three months. We'd game pretty much every Friday/Saturday. But now I dunno....I'm suddenly finding I want more time to myself, to play my SP games or just watch some TV. (Working full time now probably has something to do with it too.) We're pretty much never around each other, I work days, he works nights, I stay downstairs, he has no reason to leave the upstairs. In fact he just asked me to come play Diablo 3 with him and I was kinda like "Yyyyyeeaaaaaahhhh.....but Alien is on." And there's a big huge storm going on the background right now.

Not quite sure what to make of it. Familiarity breeds contempt? But your post reminds me I should hang with my roommate and play some games. So thanks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:43:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37643 on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »

...my father tries to enforce the time I have to go to sleep (which bothers me more... I'M NOT IN FRIGGIN GRADE SCHOOL ANYMORE) depending on how he feels that particular day; the other day I had trouble getting out of bed, and he makes me go to bed at NINE FRIGGIN THIRTY.

You mean I"m not the only one?

Thank Cthulhu*.

Except it's eight thirty. Of course I tried negotiating for a later lights out/bedtime thing but it was shot down because my brother and sister would complain about it. It's really annoying.

*whose mother is Athiesmo

Real rage.

The thought of being unable to write things and the thought of putting my current work on hiatus until I can actually write infuriated me to no end >:(

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Love Thy Roommate Edition
« Reply #37644 on: June 04, 2014, 01:12:37 am »

Dota 2:

1. Had a Bloodseeker who wouldn't pause the game so that the Night Stalker, who the rest of the team knew was coming back, could
reconnect. He said that he wasn't going to wait on him to reconnect. He did reconnect eventually but it was about 10 seconds after he was gone for five minutes and therefore it was treated as an abandon. He stayed anyways though.

2. Same guy: He was the carry and wouldn't participate in team pushes and would instead go off and push another lane and then whenever the rest of our team died he would run in and finish off their team or die in the attempt. I was playing Lone Druid and together with my team we pushed down two lanes(both T1 and T2 towers on each lane) in the first 15 minutes. After that though we needed our carry's help to take down the barracks but he would never participate in our pushes. He then proceeded to yell at us about how horrible we were and talk in all-chat about how his entire team was terrible all the while pushing a lane by himself and then almost dying or dying to their whole team. He died about 3 times by himself in a lane and that allowed their team push all the way to our Last Towers (Towers in front of our Ancient). He finally went in the same lane as us and we cleaned things up. Albeit that was after I died pushing down both of their Last Towers and distracting their Juggernaut.

I have a feeling that if we hadn't let him have jungle and he hadn't stolen everybody's kills we would have won a lot sooner.

Had to get that out of my system...
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37645 on: June 04, 2014, 01:50:45 am »

Dota 2:

1. Had a Bloodseeker who wouldn't pause the game so that the Night Stalker, who the rest of the team knew was coming back, could
reconnect. He said that he wasn't going to wait on him to reconnect. He did reconnect eventually but it was about 10 seconds after he was gone for five minutes and therefore it was treated as an abandon. He stayed anyways though.

2. Same guy: He was the carry and wouldn't participate in team pushes and would instead go off and push another lane and then whenever the rest of our team died he would run in and finish off their team or die in the attempt. I was playing Lone Druid and together with my team we pushed down two lanes(both T1 and T2 towers on each lane) in the first 15 minutes. After that though we needed our carry's help to take down the barracks but he would never participate in our pushes. He then proceeded to yell at us about how horrible we were and talk in all-chat about how his entire team was terrible all the while pushing a lane by himself and then almost dying or dying to their whole team. He died about 3 times by himself in a lane and that allowed their team push all the way to our Last Towers (Towers in front of our Ancient). He finally went in the same lane as us and we cleaned things up. Albeit that was after I died pushing down both of their Last Towers and distracting their Juggernaut.

I have a feeling that if we hadn't let him have jungle and he hadn't stolen everybody's kills we would have won a lot sooner.

Had to get that out of my system...
This is why I play invoker, nobody complains.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #37646 on: June 04, 2014, 02:34:10 am »

This is why I play invoker, nobody complains.

In my limited experience (DotA 1 against bots and/o rmy brother), Invoker is flippin' hilarious once you get your metaphorical eye in.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37647 on: June 04, 2014, 04:02:59 am »

A friend said he had a crush on me.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #37648 on: June 04, 2014, 04:11:52 am »

Oh man. :c

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37649 on: June 04, 2014, 04:25:40 am »

Why's that a problem, though? Except if your genitals are non-interlocking, and you're not into that kind of thing.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 2508 2509 [2510] 2511 2512 ... 3345