Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2480 2481 [2482] 2483 2484 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695782 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Well, English does have some gendered words. No articles like german with der, die, das, or french with le and la, and the gendering is cultural rather than grammar. But like handsome for men, beautiful for women? That's an example of gendering.
They mean different things though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it helps, by proper noun it means things with names. Like "a country" versus "Canada", or "the prime minister" versus "Stephen Harper".
Wait, shouldn't "Prime Minister" be capitalized because it's a title and thus more like a name?

German basically considers every noun a name, so it's not that difficult (except for the exceptions, but plenty of native German speakers get these wrong too).

I could never get the hang of gendering words in German and the like. Die, der, das and that stuff - never could get it right. At least English doesn't have that.
Yeah, you just have to learn that because there is little logic behind it. If it consoles you, I often get the gender of words wrong in French, because it's often different from the gender in German.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

French genders were the bane of many a me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Well, English does have some gendered words. No articles like german with der, die, das, or french with le and la, and the gendering is cultural rather than grammar. But like handsome for men, beautiful for women? That's an example of gendering.
... except those are both used for the other gender. Not exactly regularly, but I've heard older women that weather the years very well in particular ways called handsome, just as an example, and men get called beautiful all the time. And not even as insults, sometimes!

French genders were the bane of many a me.
Though yeah, this. When I was learning what little french I did, I rapidly came to the conclusion the French gendered their words by getting horrendously drunk and playing a game of darts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

That's what I meant as "cultural" and not "grammar" i.e. not set-in-stone like it is in German or French.

And while the words mean basically the same thing (attractive), they have somewhat separate detail-meaning, and they're not just permutations on the same word like die, der, das is.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

Right, but as you say that's not grammatical gender. "Beautiful man" might be awkward but it's not grammatically incorrect, and more to the point the form of the adjective doesn't change depending on the gender of the noun, as it does in European languages that do have grammatical gender.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

There was most likely some gendering done in the past of English. The way we call countries and ships "she" are remnants of that (Or so I've heard)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... wouldn't a non-voting share just be, like. A bond? With value pegged to company worth or something along those lines? Stock... kinda' necessarily implies ownership. Doesn't it? And you don't have ownership if you have no control over the company (i.e., voting rights), right? It can't be equity financing if you're not financing with equity. Or... so I'd think?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-03/why-google-is-issuing-c-shares-a-new-kind-of-powerless-stock
Articles like this explain the sillines of multi-class share structures, GOOGLE, Inc being a prominent example of how *not* to do it.

You do *technically* have equity. It's just your equity *is* worthless, completely and totally worthless in terms of the company. You can't vote, and therefore the thing you've just bought amounts to nothing more than a piece of paper with a value written on it. The thing is, usually with non-voting shares, they trade much lower than the actual shares that have real ownership. In GOOG+GOOGL's case? The same price. You'd be paying 560$ a share, right now, to have no voting rights, no dividend, and no future stake in the company. Compared to the 560$ price of GOOGL [New ticker specifically for their Class A shares], why would you buy this?

It's insulting to retail investors. Especially if you're one of those people who bought into GOOG [which is now Class C shares only] in the last few years and suddenly half of your shares are now Class C. It's like they think we're idiots and willingly want to buy a share with no value.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I'm betting Stuebi is German, eh?

Capitalizing Stories, that sounds German :P

To be frank, German capitalization seems a little arbitrary. Start of sentence, and talking about names fairly simple. :v

Close. Swiss. But yeah, German capitalizes  a LOT more than english. And it's really hard to get rid of that habit.
IIRC, German capitalizes all of the Nouns because it's that Kind of strange Language.

Actually, the difference is that Germans didn't stop capitalizing all nouns, whereas rest of the languages did. If you read an old text in English (say, XVIth century) you could find the same kind of capitalization.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-03/why-google-is-issuing-c-shares-a-new-kind-of-powerless-stock
Articles like this explain the sillines of multi-class share structures, GOOGLE, Inc being a prominent example of how *not* to do it.

You do *technically* have equity. It's just your equity *is* worthless, completely and totally worthless in terms of the company. You can't vote, and therefore the thing you've just bought amounts to nothing more than a piece of paper with a value written on it. The thing is, usually with non-voting shares, they trade much lower than the actual shares that have real ownership. In GOOG+GOOGL's case? The same price. You'd be paying 560$ a share, right now, to have no voting rights, no dividend, and no future stake in the company. Compared to the 560$ price of GOOGL [New ticker specifically for their Class A shares], why would you buy this?

It's insulting to retail investors. Especially if you're one of those people who bought into GOOG [which is now Class C shares only] in the last few years and suddenly half of your shares are now Class C. It's like they think we're idiots and willingly want to buy a share with no value.
That doesn't look legal actually.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:09:01 am by 10ebbor10 »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Too late, ninja-Yoink has yoinked the original to the OOCQ thread!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

That doesn't look legal actually.

Naw, it's plenty legal, it's just a bigger, stupider version of what you should do when having a multi-class share structure and therefore easier for me to point them out as jerks for the practice.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I bought, off the 3DS store, a weird little game called Grinsia.

Normally, I don't give the little games any time or respect whatsoever unless they have some deserved hype behind them, but I'd never heard of this one before and was about to pass it over when I saw the company behind it: Nicalis. You might know them from a little game called Cave Story.

So I decided to give it a go, but there was an immediate patching for... something, and then I started playing. It's your standard fantasy RPG romp, it's very minimalist in design, it's OK but not great, but I'm having fun... and then the crashes start happening. Just randomly at any point, though most prominently when looking at any menu, the game just freezes and causes your 3DS to do a forced restart of itself. This is 100% NOT COOL.

You can save anywhere at anytime, but even doing mandatory saves every five minutes, losing just a little bit of progress is enough to raise your blood pressure. I really expect more from Nintendo system games, and especially from Nicalis.
Pages: 1 ... 2480 2481 [2482] 2483 2484 ... 3345