Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2407 2408 [2409] 2410 2411 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696479 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

This thread, dead? Hell, it's been too alive for me to keep up with in the last hour or so :/
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

happy tred is ded

ussr tred is ded

this tred probly gonna b ded also

the fuck am i going to read on these forums

Whoah. O_O What happened to the Happy Thread?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Sort of what happened here with less civility.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'm a bit more optimistic. I feel we'll be able to move past being apes who assert social dominance through insults and vanity, at least someday. Can't tell you how that'll happen though.
It will happen when apple announces its new range of products will start the technological singularity, ushering in a age of prosperity and social dominance asserted through who has the newest i-Module.
It's kinda the same as what we have right now, only with cooler special effects. And slightly faster traffic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless there was a brief explosion of posts which were just as quickly deleted in the time between me checking the thread, I really don't see anything that would warrant the thread being locked. Everyone was quite civil, as far as I could tell, and the discussion quickly died down once we decided it wasn't Happy Thread material.
Booze is Life for Yoink

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless there was a brief explosion of posts which were just as quickly deleted in the time between me checking the thread, I really don't see anything that would warrant the thread being locked. Everyone was quite civil, as far as I could tell, and the discussion quickly died down once we decided it wasn't Happy Thread material.
Yes, I'm rather confused myself.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

* kaijyuu shrugs.

Best wait until there's some post or other explaining, I suppose.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Also good debate all round. Excellent example on civility guys.
Wot did you call me?!? I'm not a civil-tee, you toad-showering buttlump of an apathetic toilet roll!

Edit: GODDAMNIT. I keep starting new pages. I hate this.
I kinda wish there was a counter somewhere, showing the number of replies on a page... :-[
1. Use 50 PPP
2. I wouldn't expect someone as civil and polite as you to even think of using 50 PPP.

I bet you say please at the end of every question, you make me sick.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now that you mention it, I usually replace "please" with "thanks" when I'm asking for something.
I'm not really sure why. Weird.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And now I regret that I was catching up on this thread and missed it...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't see it as non-civil :/
It's the type of thing that crops up now and then, then dies down.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I am of the opinion that nobody should be worried about offending someone unless they are expressly told that they are doing so and should stop.
You have no responsibility to consider others until they complain?
That sounds about right.
I can think of several examples where that logic would be absurd. Like, say, physical violence.

I'm expecting you to make an exception for harm caused by communication. If I'm right, please justify.
I was still talking in the context of things that offend specific people. Everyone is damaged by physical violence, that much is obvious. A closer analogy to what I mean would be if you never ate peanuts in case you happened to be around someone with an allergy. You can't be expected to cater for people's personal problems if you don't even know about them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I don't think your analogy works because eating peanuts yourself doesn't potentially hurt anyone. Maybe randomly throwing peanuts in people's mouths, though?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I don't think your analogy works because eating peanuts yourself doesn't potentially hurt anyone. Maybe randomly throwing peanuts in people's mouths, though?
This mental image...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

No, especially on aeroplanes but also other closed environments like coaches there's been announcements that passengers shouldn't eat peanuts because there's someone with an allergy aboard. I assume the dust gets into the air or something.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2407 2408 [2409] 2410 2411 ... 3345