Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3706975 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #3390 on: May 05, 2011, 04:29:43 pm »

I'm going to make a blanket statement:

Anyone who thinks about population elimination procedures must include themselves, and every single person that they care about inside of the first round of eliminations. Their idols, the people who they think are the most brilliant people in the world, their families, the most brilliant scientists, the best of the best. Wiped out in the first round.

If you can do it, more power to you, though I will be attempting to stop you.

If you can't, then you don't really have the stomach for this business, and all you want is vengeance on a perceived wrong.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: May 05, 2011, 04:35:05 pm »

If your reasoning isn't strong enough to nullify opposition on its own merits, then it isn't strong enough to justify eliminating opposition by force. 

Do what you believe is right.  Encourage others to do the same.  Sharpen your critical thinking and communication skills.  Be just as critical of yourself as others.  This is the only path to change that doesn't undermine its own good intentions.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: May 05, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »

If your reasoning isn't strong enough to nullify opposition on its own merits, then it isn't strong enough to justify eliminating opposition by force. 

Do what you believe is right.  Encourage others to do the same.  Sharpen your critical thinking and communication skills.  Be just as critical of yourself as others.  This is the only path to change that doesn't undermine its own good intentions.

Thank you.  This.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: May 05, 2011, 04:44:15 pm »

Btw, I know the kill-bot thing was no more than semi-playing anger venting (I hope), so don't take my above post personally.  I'm just randomly preaching, as I am naturally inclined to do.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: May 05, 2011, 04:45:08 pm »

Oh.

And here I was hoping that I could commit some omnicide :/

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: May 05, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »

No worries Salmon; I don't actually propose Killbots as a solution to any problem... at least that I can think of. However, your statement got me thinking:

You've outlined several beliefs I share in how to live a life well. Still, there are times when you are opposed by someone who is not arguing from a platform you can even approach, much less refute. Sometimes, people believe they have the absolute truth, without any test in reality... circular logic that, to them, proves itself. This brand of thinking has and continues to lead people to belief in the innate inferiority of people of different races, religions, or cultural practices. Arrogance, dogma, and ignorance have lead countless nations to war and genocide in the past, and as such there was no basis on which to "nullify the opposition on its own merits", because the belief is ultimately baseless.

There are times when force was the most expedient solution to eliminating that opposition. It's perhaps not the only solution, nor an ideal solution, but military action likely prevented decades of loss and death in World War II, as opposed to what a lengthy diplomatic appeal to the hearts and minds of the German populace (and the ensuing propaganda battle) would have.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:57:47 pm by Solifuge »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3396 on: May 05, 2011, 05:08:01 pm »

Really? A simple counter example: Someone wants to kill you for fun. That person isn't swayed by your rational argument that it isn't a good idea. Your suggestion says that you can not justify stopping them by force.

When your opposition is unreasonable and demonstrates a clear and present danger, force will always be a viable and justifiable option.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: May 05, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »

Really? A simple counter example: Someone wants to kill you for fun. That person isn't swayed by your rational argument that it isn't a good idea. Your suggestion says that you can not justify stopping them by force.

When your opposition is unreasonable and demonstrates a clear and present danger, force will always be a viable and justifiable option.

This gets muddy really fast.

I have no problem with self-defense.  I admit that the approach I described offers no advice for when it is not reciprocated. 

The thing is, we must take incredible care to distinguish between necessary self-defense and active elimination of those who don't agree with you.  Self-defense is doing only what is necessary to prevent yourself being subjected to force that eliminates you or obstructs your ability to do what you believe is right.  Anything else is not.

This is where critical thinking and honest self-criticism is so important, because the excuse of self-defense is so easily abused.  I honestly believe with great conviction that the majority of violent conflict occurs when both sides believe they are acting in self-defense (i.e. Person A believes "If I don't kill Person B, they will kill me." and Person B believes exactly the same about Person A.)  When this is supposed to be the sole motivation for both sides, there is clearly a mistake or a lie somewhere.  If they would communicate openly, they would find that this is not the case and are only being openly aggressive towards one another on false pretense.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3398 on: May 05, 2011, 06:03:42 pm »

On a lighter note:

I rage at javascript programmers who don't understand javascript. Javascript does not give a damn what "submit" is. But you sure as hell better not name a form field submit because that kinda sorta overrides the forms submit() method and makes it not a method you can use to submit a form.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: May 05, 2011, 06:26:43 pm »

Goddamnit argghh.  The thing is it even seems like something it would be extremely easy to prove wrong with a demonstration on a willing volunteer.

I don't think that even matters. As has been said before, a rapist could use coercion to have a woman cooperate into removing her jeans (or doing anything else, for that matter), without it being any less rape.

I think worth pointing out that we don't know if those two cases were or were not actually rape. They might or might not have been genuinelly innocent men. The problem is that the reasons behind the acquital don't make any sense.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: May 05, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »

Well, yeah, it shouldn't matter, but demonstrating it to be mechanically untrue would be the easiest way to get rid of such a defence.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: May 06, 2011, 04:16:18 am »

The concept of the jeans defense made me RAEG today.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: May 06, 2011, 04:18:03 am »

Jeans defence?

What's that? Taking off your jeans and going all Bengal Hairybasements on people?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: May 06, 2011, 04:21:17 am »

Read above.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: May 06, 2011, 04:22:26 am »

Jeans defence?

What's that? Taking off your jeans and going all Bengal Hairybasements on people?

The fact that in several cases people have been aquitted of rape because the woman who was raped was wearing skinny jeans which "cannot be removed without cooperation"

To sum it up anyway
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 3345