Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2191 2192 [2193] 2194 2195 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689054 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Portlandia Edition
« Reply #32880 on: February 23, 2014, 07:50:04 am »

Most tablets don't have root acces by default because it is a bad idea to give your average tablet/smartphone user acces to the innards of the device.
How one would go about rooting an android tablet depends on the model, I recommend you use some google-fu. (Rooting the device can null the warranty sometimes, though.)

Also, Android isn't technically Linux, it runs on a Linux VM or something fancy like that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:52:03 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32881 on: February 23, 2014, 07:57:57 am »

so here i am walking through europe with 100v100 unit stack battles being commonplace and i've hit paris (not the enemy capital, but a pretty important stronghold with a lv2 fort) and focus my forces a little, throw 400 units there hoping that my field arty spam will counter their fortification bonus and the game crashes when the battle begins to load

gee thanks imperialism, i didn't want to win anyway

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32882 on: February 23, 2014, 09:01:09 am »

Most tablets don't have root acces by default because it is a bad idea to give your average tablet/smartphone user acces to the innards of the device.
How one would go about rooting an android tablet depends on the model, I recommend you use some google-fu. (Rooting the device can null the warranty sometimes, though.)

Also, Android isn't technically Linux, it runs on a Linux VM or something fancy like that.
Yes, I know, I looked. It just pisses me off. I mean, why should I have to do something potentially warranty-voiding and time-consuming just to have full control of my own device? Why can't I just go "sudo su" and do my thang?
What I love about Linux is that it doesn't automtically assume the user is a clinical retard.
 WTH is "the average tablet user"? A Starbucks-frequenting, selfie-taking, vapid peroxide blonde teenage girl?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32883 on: February 23, 2014, 09:06:37 am »

WTH is "the average tablet user"? A Starbucks-frequenting, selfie-taking, vapid peroxide blonde teenage girl?
As a Best Buy worker, I wish this was the case. The average tablet user around here is a middle aged technophobe who wants to play candy crush saga on facebook, and doesn't understand the paradox of choosing a tablet over the "magic devil box". Yes, those words were used, verbatim, by one of my customers. Yes, that customer bought a tablet. No, I don't understand how the tablet is also not a "magic devil box."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32884 on: February 23, 2014, 09:16:06 am »

Maybe it's too thin for a devil to fit inside?

Get some cardboard horns and a tail and sticky tape them to the tablets. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32885 on: February 23, 2014, 09:42:53 am »

As a Best Buy worker, I wish this was the case. The average tablet user around here is a middle aged technophobe who wants to play candy crush saga on facebook, and doesn't understand the paradox of choosing a tablet over the "magic devil box". Yes, those words were used, verbatim, by one of my customers. Yes, that customer bought a tablet. No, I don't understand how the tablet is also not a "magic devil box."

Are you in America? I heard bad things happen there.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32886 on: February 23, 2014, 09:52:39 am »

The tablet is not a box, natch. Too small to fit any devils inside.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32887 on: February 23, 2014, 09:55:10 am »

As a kid, I always wondered what new technology would be my bane. The new technology that "kids these days" love and I can't wrap my head around.

I now know it's tablets.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32888 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:15 am »

So my dad has this habit of asking if I went outside whenever he sees me in my room. And the answer is usually no, to which he starts a sappy sounding lecture about how I should go out more because it's a nice day and that being inside all day is bad for me. And every single goddamned time I answer the same thing, that if I wanted to go out, I would, that no matter how nice the day outside is, if I had no plans to go out, I would not go out.

This usually just ticks me off slightly, but when every fucking conversation for the past week has started this way the ticks have grown large and bloated. Luckily my angry outburst about him doing this every single fucking day and managing nothing but pissing me off has hopefully gotten him to stop.

But I kinda expect that we'll have the same conversation tommorrow since he doesn't really change, at all.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32889 on: February 23, 2014, 10:18:46 am »

As a kid, I always wondered what new technology would be my bane. The new technology that "kids these days" love and I can't wrap my head around.

I now know it's tablets.
This, so much this. It's weird to be thought of as a "computers guy" by people who know me, only to throw up my hands and say "I don't know anything about this" whenever somebody asks me about a tablet, smartphone, or just generally anything that operates solely by touchscreen.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #32890 on: February 23, 2014, 10:21:12 am »

friggin excel
when I specifically tell it to treat the cells as text and paste in rows of data with the format "number/number" IT FRIGGIN AUTOMATICALLY CONVERTS IT TO DATES (which are like 46439) and it gives you NO option to convert it back. UGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32891 on: February 23, 2014, 10:22:18 am »

I now know it's tablets.
This, so much this. It's weird to be thought of as a "computers guy" by people who know me, only to throw up my hands and say "I don't know anything about this" whenever somebody asks me about a tablet, smartphone, or just generally anything that operates solely by touchscreen.
That's because a tablet is not designed to do anything that might require the attention of a "computers guy". They don't do anything useful except surf the net and run shitty games for people with the attention span of goldfish. Don't blame yourself. [/writes this from a tablet][/hypocrisy]

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32892 on: February 23, 2014, 10:37:35 am »

You're comparing Android to Linux, but Android wasn't ment to be Linux, at least not the versions you get on your tablet by default. You could flash another (Android) ROM on it that probably suits your needs more.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32893 on: February 23, 2014, 10:50:12 am »

You're comparing Android to Linux, but Android wasn't ment to be Linux, at least not the versions you get on your tablet by default. You could flash another (Android) ROM on it that probably suits your needs more.
Yup, I know. But what it was meant to be is making me angry. This OS is being condescending to me. It should stop.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #32894 on: February 23, 2014, 10:53:19 am »

Magic devil slate.

Also, searching for "magic devil slate" quotes included turns out 0 results!!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 2191 2192 [2193] 2194 2195 ... 3345