Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2187 2188 [2189] 2190 2191 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694803 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Portlandia Edition
« Reply #32820 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:55 pm »

Google's randomized search type link (like image, video, etc) location finally pissed me off enough to change my search engine.

As a bonus, I now have a "I'm feeling ducky" option :v

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #32821 on: February 21, 2014, 01:20:26 pm »

"DAE  0/NaN stamina lol"

Screw that door, I've never seen it before and never will because of the above bug. I don't know how the royal hell you manage to screw up your stamina data type so badly that it manages to no longer be a gorram number and cannot be fixed by any means. No bugfix, no console command, no mods, no cures, potions, anything.

I'm very glad I only tried Skyrim through family share, 'cuz it reinforces my stance that Bethesda's not getting another penny out of me. If I want to enjoy a thing, I don't want it to be rotten all the way down to basic game mechanics.
Now, this is needlessly harsh. I, for one, have been playing Skyrim for  rather long time, and I have yet to experience a game-breaking bug (or even any kind of bug). The computer I am playing it on is more obsolete than the Lysenko doctrine. Of course, me blabbing about how smooth it is doesn't help you, but I really doubt that there's no fan-made bugfix for something as trivial as a borked number. Besides, Skyrim is quite often patched. "Rotten all the way down to basic game mechanics" is a very all-encompassing thing to say. I mean, I have played games that literally consisted of bugs - and enjoyed them. Skyrim is such a mild case it doesn't really deserve a mention.

I like that reference you made there, wonder how many people know what you are talking about.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32822 on: February 21, 2014, 01:22:09 pm »

Is it wrong to be mad that youtube has changed yet again to where the search bar scrolls with the screen? Fucking hell...

Yet another thing I'm going to end up never getting used to. Like having to hit widescreen player every time I leave a browser session.

EDIT: Aaaand the playlist function is fucking confusing.

Damnit google!
I'd say I'm a reasonably regular Youtube viewer, and I've only had one brief period last year where playlists worked correctly.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32823 on: February 21, 2014, 02:07:03 pm »

Bringing this in from Sad Thread.

That's the standard rule for movies. American version cuts the nudity, European version cuts the violence, Japanese version has everything plus 20min of extra tentacle gore.
It's too bad I can't stand Japanese movies :/ When I spot something that looks good on Netflix I check to see if the actors and director are all Japanese names so I can skip it. I just have wasted waay too many 15-minute attempts at watching the unwatchable. I know some people like them and I'm sure it's easier if you grew up watching them, but for me it's a combination of not getting any of the cultural cues they've thrown in and not appreciating the directing / acting style.

And it's not just Japanese movies. I tried to watch this (German?) movie called The Wall and I thought I would get to see some sweet supernatural / magical Wall action, heck no, it's

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then again apparently I'm hopeless when it comes to movies. I hate so many of them! I can't stand to watch a stupid movie. When people in the movie make dumb decisions and flail about helplessly I cringe and get irritated. Bad dialogue, plot holes, pointless villain justification, monster movies not following their own established rules, fight scenes that are simply idiotic, trailer makes it look supernatural but it's totally mundane, hero knocks the villain over and instead of killing him turns away to fiddle with the door so the villain has a chance to get up and attack him again, etc. If your character is not effective, he's defective, and I refuse watch defective characters except when the writer has specifically worked hard to make them defective in a thoughtful and worthwhile way. If everyone's defective just because the writer, director, and actors suck balls, I could be watching something better.

A lot of people may have spent months making this film and an investor may have spent millions on it, but that doesn't mean it's actually worth anything or that anyone should ever waste the 15 minutes to be satisfied that it's bullshit.

Of the movies that appear in theaters, I find 4 out of 5 worthless and unwatchable. The remaining 1 ranges from "I'll wait until it's in the cheap theater" to "I wouldn't mind seeing this on opening week". It has been a long-ass time since I've actually been excited for a movie to come out.

Then again sometimes I watch a movie that turns out to be thoroughly good despite looking crummy.

Why has Netflix not fulfilled its promises? Netflix comes out and it's supposed to be an alternative to the corner video store. The local video store that closed down near my old apartment was awesome, huge selection of foreign films and documentaries, weird stuff, wonderful stuff, new releases, etc.

Netflix doesn't get new releases until after they're out on DVD, unless they suck, in which case they're on there a week after being dumped from the theaters. The Netflix foreign film selection is mostly slow-ass French romances, Japanese gore / softcore snuff, idiotic and -flat out wrong- shoestring documentaries, a few black and white / B movies, and the lower tier of recent movies. They have series but never the most recent episodes, and only about 50% of the series you'd want to watch. And stuff keeps dropping off, likely because the contract ended and they didn't care to renew.

Why can't we have a library of every single movie? I'm sure IP holders would be happy to get in on Netflix if they got a happy little dollar for every few people who saw it. It's not like there's a huge rush of people out there buying new DVDs of The Golden Child or Big Trouble in Little China. I guess it boils down to, why can't we have a good thing?

Maybe that Netflix would have to charge more. I'd be fine with a tiered system where some movies are normal, free with subscription, but for others you can only watch like 10 per month. Although I'd say it should be based on the percentage you watched, so if you saw 15 minutes of an hourlong movie it would only count for 0.25 high-tier movies viewed that month.

If these online video companies killed brick and mortar video stores, but aren't providing the same selection, what are people supposed to do? Buy an original off Ebay? Borrow the movie from someone who has a copy? That's just not good enough.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32824 on: February 21, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »

I tried to watch this (German?) movie called The Wall and I thought I would get to see some sweet supernatural / magical Wall action, heck no, it's
That's an Austrian movie. The lead actress appears a lot in German movies and TV though. Mostly in crap.
Yeah, European movies often have a much much smaller budget than American ones. So a lot of it is really cheesy stupid crap. Or very intellectual, potentially on the more pretentious side of things. Also not a lot of genre movies. There are a lot of interesting filmmakers though, like Michael Haneke, Lars von Trier or Gaspar Noe. Seen some very good movies in recent years, but it's a matter of taste probably.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:19:29 pm by XXSockXX »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32825 on: February 21, 2014, 06:39:38 pm »

Fuck you Windows and fuck the way you handle drivers. Overriding the ones I installed for my Tablet when I plug it out and back in without restarting the computer, making the device useless for anything other than a mouse stand-in. That's fucking bullshit, you have no buisness messing with the stuff that works because you think your shitty generic drivers are better than the ones provided by the fucking manufacturer.

THEIRS ACTUALLY WORK!!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32826 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »

I would love a little prompt that comes up and asks, "Do you want your computer to do the right thing, or the shitty thing it wants to do?" with two buttons, "Right Thing" and "Shitty Thing". And then a checkbox that says "Always do right thing by default".

I would check that checkbox so damn hard.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32827 on: February 21, 2014, 07:38:02 pm »

Fuck you Windows and fuck the way you handle drivers. Overriding the ones I installed for my Tablet when I plug it out and back in without restarting the computer, making the device useless for anything other than a mouse stand-in. That's fucking bullshit, you have no buisness messing with the stuff that works because you think your shitty generic drivers are better than the ones provided by the fucking manufacturer.

THEIRS ACTUALLY WORK!!
Have you tried enforcing the proper drivers back over them shit ones?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32828 on: February 21, 2014, 07:53:18 pm »

The insane thing with my computer is that it almost ALWAYS has to reinstall drivers for my keyboard, mouse and headphones.

Together those three cost MAYBE 50 bucks.

WHY DO YOU NEED TO REINSTALL DRIVERS FOR SUCH CHEAP GENERIC DEVICES? IT'S NOT WRITTEN IN SOME ARCANE FUCKING GOBBLEDEGOOK* IS IT?

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32829 on: February 21, 2014, 07:55:49 pm »

Preeeeeeetty sure that's not what gobbledegook means or is derived from. At all :I
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32830 on: February 21, 2014, 07:56:34 pm »

I highly doubt it too. That doesn't mean I'll ever be able to see it the same way again.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32831 on: February 21, 2014, 08:30:02 pm »

Where do you live that keyboard, laser mouse, and headphones cost $50? I can get the keyboard and mouse for $10-12 each from a brick and mortar and earbud headphones for $5.

Maaybe this is why my headphones keep going out ... although this mouse has outlived two laptops and the gulag of the garage.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32832 on: February 21, 2014, 08:33:55 pm »

Maaybe this is why my headphones keep going out ... although this mouse has outlived two laptops and the gulag of the garage.
Cheap earbuds are on the lowest end of durability. Cheaper mice, not so much.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32833 on: February 21, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »

All my earbuds are ones i got free from an airline. They are atrocious.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32834 on: February 21, 2014, 08:43:30 pm »

All my earbuds are ones i got free from an airline. They are atrocious.
I thought airlines charged like $15 for those things.

Seriously, just put out $25 or so for a decent set of headphones. Lasts longer, sounds better.

Earbuds are pain incarnate.
This too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:46:36 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2187 2188 [2189] 2190 2191 ... 3345